Would you like to take a 274 night around the world cruise?

Kirby

Royal Caribbean is promoting a 274 night cruise that stops on all 7 continents and has 150  stops. all around the world.   Tickets start at $60,999.  If you had that many days off and that much money to spend on travel, would you like to take this trip?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/10/20/go-everywhere-royal-caribbean-announces-new-274-night-world-cruise/8520975002/

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Royal Caribbean is promoting a 274 night cruise that stops on all 7 continents and has 150  stops. all around the world.   Tickets start at $60,999. 

Actually, that's pretty sharp marketing.

I would guess a significant percentage of people would   bail   ;) somewhere on the trip, and of course Royal Carribbean's contract would have a 'no refund on the balance' clause.

So that means for every person who leaves during the cruise, the cruise line would have no more associated expenses for the rest of the trip, and the unrefunded balance of the ticket price is pure profit.  If a significant number of people leave, the cruise line can also cut back on staff too, saving even more money and making even more profit.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I lived on a cruise ship for over 5 straight weeks.  That was enough for me

Living on a ship is not what it's cracked up to be.  I know these things.  Just having an office on one and not having to sleep there most days is bad enough.

But then, Royal Caribbean doesn't use as much grey paint as I was used to.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, goldendesign said:

Cruises past 14 days are too much. Only so much variety a buffet can offer before it gets tiresome. Traveling for a year on $60k is a heck of a deal though

Don't you get crazy deals (in normal times) down there in Florida?  I've talked to FL retirees who have bounced on and off ships for weeks and weeks at a time using the "last minute" and Florida resident deals.  You work, so maybe less possible, but if wifi improves to where you can work-from-ship, that would be wicked fun.

Nope, not for me. Our neighbors in Fairfax did one in 2019. Left Florida in October. South America, through the Magellan Straits, got as far as Australia or Vietnam when Covid shut down the cruise. They flew back from there. I don’t know the particulars of any refund or accommodation from the cruise line but they said they enjoyed their trip. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Skill building!!!! She'd be a maniac!

I sure as hell ain't catching her on a wooden or steel floor.  Those drop balls that bounce up are hard enough to catch on grass.  And I just paid 68 dollars for a dozen new balls.  I could not afford to replace all of the rise balls that get over my head and into the ocean.  Or the curves that get around me.  Or the drop balls that I was too scared to stay in front of....

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

I sure as hell ain't catching her on a wooden or steel floor.  Those drop balls that bounce up are hard enough to catch on grass.  And I just paid 68 dollars for a dozen new balls.  I could not afford to replace all of the rise balls that get over my head and into the ocean.  Or the curves that get around me.  Or the drop balls that I was too scared to stay in front of....

Play on the grass lawns.  Folks might actually get some entertainment out of it :D  You could be part of the onboard performance acts.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Actually, that's pretty sharp marketing.

I would guess a significant percentage of people would   bail   ;) somewhere on the trip, and of course Royal Carribbean's contract would have a 'no refund on the balance' clause.

So that means for every person who leaves during the cruise, the cruise line would have no more associated expenses for the rest of the trip, and the unrefunded balance of the ticket price is pure profit.  If a significant number of people leave, the cruise line can also cut back on staff too, saving even more money and making even more profit.

According to the article, the itinerary is divided into 4 parts, and people can book less than the full cruise and focus just on a particular region.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Don't you get crazy deals (in normal times) down there in Florida?

Yeah, that's actually how I can say we've sailed the entire Caribbean (a few too small for cruises and two or three of the bigger British ones missing). When me and the Misses were first married it was how we vacationed. I actually had to look it up, the last one was 5 years ago, before my wife got pregnant. I was going to be stuck working over the entire holiday season so I flew her sister in and they took a 16 day Panama Cruise from before Christmas to after new years. It cost $850 per ticket and that included the drinks package and the "premium" excursion choices at each stop. 
Can't remember when we booked it but I remember there was very little time to buy the flight from Turkey. I think that cost more than both their cruises.

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1