No more land line

Allen

8 minutes ago, Allen said:

I’m sick of relentless scam calls.

Cell phones are not exempt from scam calls. Tuesday, I received 18 scam calls:angry: My phone has a "do not disturb" feature. This works good because only numbers I have stored, will ring. All other calls are silenced.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Cell phones are not exempt from scam calls. Tuesday, I received 18 scam calls:angry: My phone has a "do not disturb" feature. This works good because only numbers I have stored, will ring. All other calls are silenced.

What if you miss a call from Debbie?  :dontknow:

No, I'm keeping my Southern Bell number. :nodhead:

• Heart 2

40 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I haven't had a land line for at least 20 years.  I can honestly say I don't miss it at all, you won't either.  There isn't a compelling reason I can see for most people to have one anymore.

Congrats.

Quality.  Over half the people who call me from a cell phone have awful sounding phones.

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Quality.  Over half the people who call me from a cell phone have awful sounding phones.

Sadly, you see where landlines we all knew and remember have often been replaced with VOIP "landlines" and, at that point, quality joins the list of hit or miss items.  I do remember every once in a while, in the olden days, getting static on a line.  That was rare, but about the extent of it.  Of course, calls from other countries :frantics:

59 minutes ago, Allen said:

After more than 70 years of my family owning 5852 as a phone number I killed it today because I’m sick of relentless scam calls. Recently it has been 30+ a day. Now blissful silence. 

I had kept it out of sentimental reasons and because cell service is spotty out here. But that’s not worth paying a company to be harassed. 

We had 214-690-0104 for decades.  Not 70 years, but close to 30.  Lost it when we bought the house from my parents.

They make call blockers that may have helped, but if the number is gone, too late.

https://www.amazon.com/CPR-Call-Blocker-Landline-Phones/dp/B0191XMBV2

1 hour ago, Allen said:

and because cell service is spotty out here.

Use the Wi-Fi calling feature.  Half the time we're in the house the phone calling is using Wi-Fi calling.  I switches seamlessly between cell coverage and wi-fi as needed to keep the call.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

10 hours ago, Kzoo said:
11 hours ago, Allen said:

and because cell service is spotty out here.

Use the Wi-Fi calling feature.

THIS

Yeah I setup WoBG's and my cell phone for Wi-Fi caliing about 3 years ago.    Our cell phone signal is spotty on a good day.  Wi-Fi calling prvides quality calls. 

No landline for 3 years.  The old landline got LOTS of spam calls.  Our cell phones don't receive nearly as many spam calls.  

58 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Are land lines available anymore or are they purely legacy at this point?

Like, if I wanted a land line, how would I even get it????

Use your cell phone to call the LTC and order one.  You are either a millennial or a dolt.

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Use your cell phone to call the LTC and order one.  You are either a millennial or a dolt.

Who is the local telephone company anymore????  Comcast and Verizon seem to all point to VOIP options. AT&T points to their cell (and shitty satellite).  Argh!!! How do you get a darn LAND LINE!?!?!?! This shouldn't be so complicated! It's like 19th century tech. 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:25 AM, Allen said:

After more than 70 years of my family owning 5852 as a phone number I killed it today because I’m sick of relentless scam calls. Recently it has been 30+ a day. Now blissful silence. 

I had kept it out of sentimental reasons and because cell service is spotty out here. But that’s not worth paying a company to be harassed. 

I've been considering doing the same thing.  I'm getting at least 15 nuisance calls/day, especially now that the Medicare Enrollment Period is active. I have such great, pension-based, mostly-subsidized Medicare Supplemental BCBS insurance with prescription, dental, and vision, that doing any alternative would be insane. I've mentioned that to the callers and then get the same asshole calling me later.  Now I just hang up.

I have the same landline number, beginning with "789," since it was my parents' number, listed as "STate 9" in the 50's.

For a while, I had a phone-line based DSL internet service, then I was told the land line was useful if the power went out and the phone towers weren't working, I could call the phone, power, etc. companies.

But I always give my cell number to people because that's the phone that's with me all the time.

So, I may do the same thing.

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Who is the local telephone company anymore????  Comcast and Verizon seem to all point to VOIP options. AT&T points to their cell (and shitty satellite).  Argh!!! How do you get a darn LAND LINE!?!?!?! This shouldn't be so complicated! It's like 19th century tech. 

OK, so you answered my original question.  Dolt it is...

https://www.att.com/support/article/local-long-distance/KM1040372/

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

OK, so you answered my original question.  Dolt it is...

https://www.att.com/support/article/local-long-distance/KM1040372/

HOLY SCHNIZZLE:

Traditional home phone offer details:
FLAT RATE SERVICE includes the line, unlimited local calling, and 911 services. Monthly rate does not include charges for long distance or local toll calling. Monthly rate excludes taxes, fees, and other charges including universal service, installation, inside wire, and subscriber line charges. Flat rate service rates vary depending on service area. Rates subject to change.