This is a real thing...

Randomguy

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

I bought a beer Advent box from Costco for mr. a few years ago. All imports. 

This is the first I have heard of such a thing.  Conceptually, it makes me very happy.  In reality, it would probably be all IPA crap beers or somesuch, and hardly any Zima.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

I saw it at Costco last week. Was gonna buy it for the wife since she likes german beers. But it was kinda pricey. Went out for a nice dinner and several brews at one of the local breweries instead.

Yep - I thought the same thing about the price.  There was a wine one too.  Passed on both.

I'd rather wander into a beer place and just pick a bunch of 4 or 6 packs and work through them over time.

• Heart 1

It’s an Advent calendar, though. Of course anyone can pick up a few interesting beers. That’s not the point of the Advent countdown to Christmas, the anticipation of not knowing what’s behind each day’s little door, opening the seal and finding the unexpected. 
To be fair, mr. didn’t want to drink some of the beers, but he always liked the moment of anticipation. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

It’s an Advent calendar, though. Of course anyone can pick up a few interesting beers. That’s not the point of the Advent countdown to Christmas, the anticipation of not knowing what’s behind each day’s little door, opening the seal and finding the unexpected. 
To be fair, mr. didn’t want to drink some of the beers, but he always liked the moment of anticipation. 

So, you pull out a hefeweizen when you want a porter? Or an IPA when you wanted a lager???? Talk about DISAPPOINTMENT!!!  :frantics:

Santa Claus is ALL about bringing JOY, and the wrong beer at the wrong time can screw up a meal royally.  Not to mention, refrigerating that box would be annoying!

My wild sister gave me a tea advent calendar last year, and I've seen wine calendars as well.  I don't recall a beer calendar, but I don't really drink beer much, so I'm less likely to see it.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

My wild sister gave me a tea advent calendar last year, and I've seen wine calendars as well.  I don't recall a beer calendar, but I don't really drink beer, so I'm less likely to see it.

We'd definitely get the premium drink package on our round-the-world cruise! You'd be a beer snob by the time we hit the Asian leg of the journey!

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Talk about DISAPPOINTMENT!!!  :frantics:

Santa Claus is ALL about bringing JOY,

Advent is loosely related to Santa Claus, though. It’s the Christian season of “you’ll take whatever the hell is behind that door and like it, you ungrateful brat.” The season of anticipation for God’s grace.

• Haha 2