Help me find an axle

dinneR

1 minute ago, denniS said:

There must be one out there somewhere. Sram is saying it will out of stock until Jan, 2022.

Sram Rear, 746 Hub Axle Kit (For 148mm Boost, Shimano HG Freehubs) not XD

Mfg #:

UPC:

Ask @Old No. 7 to check his shops' inventory. 

I wonder how optimistic/pessimistic the date estimate is though.  Buying parts last year, I'd get "in stock in three months" and then a "item shipped" a few days later.  On the flipside, I'd get "in stock next month" and then an e-mail later saying "three months".

Wild west right now!

Just now, Old No. 7 said:

The answer is no. Shop relies on the supply chain rather than keep excess inventory of stuff that doesn’t sell quickly. 

Thanks for checking. I'd be very surprised if a shop had one. It's a very specific and odd part to stock.

28 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Thanks for the link. I doubt they actually have it. They list it as yellow and slower shipping which usually means they are ordering it from QBP. I did call them and leave a message.

31 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Why don’t you have 46 make you one? His would probably be better quality anyway.

This might be the answer.

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Ask @Old No. 7 to check his shops' inventory. 

I wonder how optimistic/pessimistic the date estimate is though.  Buying parts last year, I'd get "in stock in three months" and then a "item shipped" a few days later.  On the flipside, I'd get "in stock next month" and then an e-mail later saying "three months".

Wild west right now!

I think the date is a wild guess. It's chaos, so who really knows.

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Why don’t you have 46 make you one? His would probably be better quality anyway.

What do you want it machined out of?  I have aluminum, stainless, brass and hot rolled in the garage. 

We made axles for semis at the forge and they didn’t break. I can’t remember the grade of steel we used I just made the parts out of whatever steel came out of the furnace. It was up to other people to make sure the right steel was loaded. Sometimes they made costly mistakes but they were always caught before the parts were shipped. Actually I only remember it happening three times in 28 years and there was a lot of years without a mistake after each mistake.

• Awesome 1

13 hours ago, denniS said:

I snapped it in two. I left it at the LBS with the wheel.

IMG_20210928_091949301.jpg

IMG_20210928_092000204.jpg

Well, I got nothin as far as a replacement axle, but if I couldn't find one in a timely manner, I would simply order a new hub and swap it in. The good news there is you have a 32 spoke wheel, so this would get you up and running. https://bdopcycling.com/product/xd642sb-b12/

Whenever I order from Bdop, it is always in my hands within a week.

15 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Have you borken the rear axle before?  Didn't you post about that a while ago?  Or was this the wheel you were talkiing about?

Same wheel. I have a spare that I am using now. I'd just like to get this one repaired for the future. 

16 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Factory defect, they should give you a new one. I still say have a machine shop (or 46) make you a new one.

So how did the bike handle when it broke?

The wheel is four years old. Sram warranty has long passed. I was able to put it all back together and ride out. The thru-axle holds it all together. 

• Awesome 1

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Arrived today?  If so, AWESOME!!!

Ordered. Then this in the confirmation email. Good thing I had it shipped USPS. It should arrive by June.

*PLEASE NOTE* USPS & FedEx are experiencing common delays / issues given the unusual times we are living in. Nothing to do on your part other than grab a brewski (or fruit juice) & PLEASE grant us a touch of patience.

37 minutes ago, denniS said:

Ordered. Then this in the confirmation email. Good thing I had it shipped USPS. It should arrive by June.

*PLEASE NOTE* USPS & FedEx are experiencing common delays / issues given the unusual times we are living in. Nothing to do on your part other than grab a brewski (or fruit juice) & PLEASE grant us a touch of patience.

Ordered because it was in stock? Or ordered because they have it on back-order and expect to get it to ship at some point?

I had plenty of stuff I've gotten in the past year that was "On Back Order - Due In on XYZ date" - so I ordered just to get in the queue.  Sometimes the due date was spot on, sometimes optimistic or pessimistic, and sometimes, I got an e-mail cancelling the order.

Crazy! 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Ordered because it was in stock? Or ordered because they have it on back-order and expect to get it to ship at some point?

I had plenty of stuff I've gotten in the past year that was "On Back Order - Due In on XYZ date" - so I ordered just to get in the queue.  Sometimes the due date was spot on, sometimes optimistic or pessimistic, and sometimes, I got an e-mail cancelling the order.

Crazy! 

In stock. I was on a waiting list. Got the notification today that it was in stock. I ordered it a few minutes later.