So, now what are you doing?

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by BuffJim,

27 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

At work, muddling through a 179-page BSA/AML risk assessment. Fun times. Two hours to closing bell. 

Are you in charge of just the muddling through and will delegate any further action, or are you also the person who has to twiddle stuff to come into compliance? 

9 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Are you in charge of just the muddling through and will delegate any further action, or are you also the person who has to twiddle stuff to come into compliance? 

BSA Officer completed this. I am reviewing for completeness, accuracy, and coverage in the risk and control matrix. 

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Once you're back to 100%, there really are no excuses not to be just like him and cranking out the miles!  You are retired now!

IKR?! 
And I was on track to big miles by this time, the absolute best time of year to ride. 
But @az_cyclist and @Longjohn remind us all that there is a time and a season for everything. A time to heal and a time to ride…

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Repairing the hot water heater. Not done yet but $20 is better than a new one at $500. Although I am amazed that I see an install date sticker 7/2004 so definitely got my money out of it. The good news it, it was a top leak that also went down and flooded the top electrical connection. Glad I caught it in time. Was actually the top Sch 80 fitting that split causing the leak. Don't make those connectors so I have to manufacture one with 3/4 PEX.

While at it, cleaned up the electrical, drained the tank (never done) and didn't notice any sediment or discoloration of the water. Not having problems with heating but figured would take out the elements and inspect. Despite having the correct socket, the threads are frozen and couldn't budge...so leaving it alone. 

EDIT: Now I am really in trouble with it all apart. Looks like cold showers. Got two 3/4 x 3/4 female threaded to PEX couplers. Bottom one fit fine. Upper needs to be a 1" to 3/4 reducer version. WOuld go back to HD and Lowes but checking online to see which store had stock. They don't stock it in any store and it is ship to store for next week. Even Amazon is the same timeframe. May have to re-engineer - either replace the elbow with a reduction version, them the 3/4 part will work, or return it for a 1" threaded 3/4" clamp type rather than push connection.

IMG_0246.jpg

God that sounds like my plumbing projects! Even though 50 year old houses use standard sized-parts, the way they are assembled has changed a bit. Plumbing jobs are at least 3 trips....

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Researching my Long Term Care insurance policy so that I can send it to my financial advisor so that he can tell me I'm screwed in retirement.  Looking to weasel my way into Iowa.  I'm gonna need those bow and arrow lessons from Ted Nugent so I can survive as a pauper.

@Longjohn this is a ploy so I can get closer to @Kzoo.  I have a secret desire to go through his garbage bins.   Sssshhhhhhhh.

• Haha 1

SUCCESS! Filled it up without leaks and now happy to say I am in hot water!

Did it the right way...none of that push compression stuff. Also gave up on trying to find the threaded connectors with stepdown reduction when learned that the existing white pipe was 3/4 PEX. Also found 2 female threaded to PEX for final connection to the water heater - one was the single piece where the other was better suited, being 2 part with washer that could tighten/remove without twisting the pipe.

TO DO LIST: Glad I decided to hold off replacing the cutoff valve. Only reason was having to shut off water to all the house to replace and wasn't certain how the older existing PEX pipe would work. Could always do it later, with additional confidence as the hot line would use the same 3 connectors I used today. Then saw why was a good decision. Both the hot line (see where foam insulation opened) and the inlet side of the cutoff valve are polybutylene. While not impossible, it takes a different size clamp and a special poly/PEX straight connector. I have been updating the 1/2" lines and why I had the clamping tools but have yet to tackle the 3/4 supply lines. For hot, I would do a whole house run, Likewise with cold, but in an emergency if the cutoff fails, at least up to the "T" on the cold supply.  

IMG_0248.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

SUCCESS! Filled it up without leaks and now happy to say I am in hot water!

Did it the right way...none of that push compression stuff. Also gave up on trying to find the threaded connectors with stepdown reduction when learned that the existing white pipe was 3/4 PEX. Also found 2 female threaded to PEX for final connection to the water heater - one was the single piece where the other was better suited, being 2 part with washer that could tighten/remove without twisting the pipe.

TO DO LIST: Glad I decided to hold off replacing the cutoff valve. Only reason was having to shut off water to all the house to replace and wasn't certain how the older existing PEX pipe would work. Could always do it later, with additional confidence as the hot line would use the same 3 connectors I used today. Then saw why was a good decision. Both the hot line (see where foam insulation opened) and the inlet side of the cutoff valve are polybutylene. While not impossible, it takes a different size clamp and a special poly/PEX straight connector. I have been updating the 1/2" lines and why I had the clamping tools but have yet to tackle the 3/4 supply lines. For hot, I would do a whole house run, Likewise with cold, but in an emergency if the cutoff fails, at least up to the "T" on the cold supply.  

IMG_0248.jpg

I don't see your PEX finished crimp gauge...

That cold side looks a whole lot prettier that that hot side.

15 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I feel like we really missed a great Cafe MythBusters! Waterheater Rocket Launch episode.  Maybe we can get Tizeye to put a webcam on it for us??? 

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

It is just out of the picture and an absolute necessity. While the crimp tool does its job, it has one bad habit. While it is nice that the adjustment notch is easy to pop up for adjustment, when not under tension it has a bad habit of re-calibrating itself. If perfect calibration is the middle notch, I will look as see it shifted to either end. The crimp gauge tips me off that adjusted on me if I wasn't paying attention.

The hot side may be my next project. Just back from Lowes as I returned unused connectors, Noticed 100' roll of 3/4 PEX was only $55 and I don't have to shut the entire house water off like would with cold - just turn cold off at the hot water heater. A couple of 1/2" lines I need to run into the hall bathroom, but otherwise, all other hot (and cold) lines a awaiting the 3/4 master line

Will delay it until after the surgery on Nov 4th.

I just finished leftover lasagna with some cottage cheese and dill pickles on the side.

I ate late because I got a phone call from a friend that lasted an hour.  Thankfully I just had to nuke the lasagna.

I'm also feeling good for the first time since a small cut on a toe followed by 10 minutes before I found the bandaids, two nights ago, pumped enough adrenaline into my system to keep me from sleeping until halftime in the Browns-Broncos game last night.  Some catnaps today and healthy food (oatmeal and fruit for lunch) got me back to normal.

• Heart 1