Root Canal Baby

Dottleshead

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Why do folks need root canals?  What exactly happens that causes the need?  I've never really understood it.

From what I know...If the tooth is decayed in a certain way, a crown needs to be put on. So removing the root assures there will be no problems underneath the crown. I have one crown w/ a root canal, and one crown w/o. The tooth that has the root canal had a filling. The filling was old and the tooth became decayed and infected. Probably because a portion of the filling may of chipped off. Disclaimer: I'm not a dentist, I'm an engineer.

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I had the exact procedure and then the retreatment went south too. I eventually had the tooth yanked.  I should put an implant in there but I really don’t miss the tooth. It’s a molar in the back so I don’t look like a bumpkin.  

According to my dentist, you will need two implants in your future. If the upper doesn’t have a lower to meet, you will eventually lose the opposite tooth. One implant today or two down the road. Or just go without two teeth and see where that leads. 

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

According to my dentist, you will need two implants in your future. If the upper doesn’t have a lower to meet, you will eventually lose the opposite tooth. One implant today or two down the road. Or just go without two teeth and see where that leads. 

I'm finding that I really didn't need all those teeth.

The dentists are telling me I should pull some more out and install implants, at a cost between 10 and 20 thousand American dollars.

They throw a lot of variables in there, and always end with "well, it's up to you how much you want done". I'm pretty damn old, the teeth work, I'll just wait and see whether I need new ones or die first.

The ones in front are fine, I can still smile, it's the working teeth that are failing. 

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I have had this discussion with my dentist and my dental hygienist daughter. The top tooth has moved some but I asked my dentist, do you really see this being a problem in my lifetime?  If you live to 100 maybe… 

• Heart 1