WTH Do You Even Wear To An In Person Interview In 2021?

Razors Edge

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I won't wear a tie again, I am done with that silliness.  

Does it get any sillier than a tie in 2021?  I mean, of course "bow ties" and bolo and ascot and cummerbunds and suit vests and a whole host of other dopey things are silly or sillier, but damned if a tie isn't goofy. 

Just now, Wilburger said:

Depends on the job.  In my world, no suit and tie = no job. 

Well, yeah, that's called a "uniform".  But I think that sort of hits on the answer - what would you be expected to wear to work normally (err towards the high side)? That's probably what they expect and would be most realistic.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, yeah, that's called a "uniform".  But I think that sort of hits on the answer - what would you be expected to wear to work normally (err towards the high side)? That's probably what they expect and would be most realistic.

Not really. Most corporate pilots don't wear uniforms.  They do have dress standards though. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I suppose I could wear a tie to a funeral if an old person died, the living old folks would probably consider it scandalous if the other dudes didn't wear one.

For the rest of the population, you look out of step and out of touch if you wear one, except for certain professions.

You'd at least wear a black skinny tie, correct?  Not some garish blue or red monstrosity?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

So my thinking is for an in-person, I would arrive in suit and tie.

This ^^^

After you get the job, then you can dress down, if that's what the do.

When I intevired people (yeah it was 4 years ago now) most, if not all, would wear a suit and tie. 

Just now, denniS said:

I have never worn a suit or tie to an interview. I told an employee he had to wear a tie and he replied "You're lucky I'm wearing pants."

I wore a suit and tie to my interview for Home Depot. Freaked out the manager who interviewed me at first. But she respected I put in the effort. We are still friendly 20 years later. 

• Heart 3

12 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

This ^^^

After you get the job, then you can dress down, if that's what the do.

When I intevired people (yeah it was 4 years ago now) most, if not all, would wear a suit and tie. 

It has really shifted.  It turns out that I was the last guy that wore a tie to the interview for the current place.  Nobody has worn a tie there since, and I sat in on maybe a dozen interviews there after I was hired.

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

if they haven’t made an effort to look presentable I pass. 

Well, that's true across the board - crazy hair, chocolate stains on their cheek, a pupils wildly dilated, etc..  It is an interview, so "presentable" is important!

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I think it gives the rich folks confidence to see pilots in a standardized uniform.  Stewardesses, too, I do like sexy stewardess uniforms.

I think they think it reflects on them.  I worked for one employer that thought our Armani uniforms looked shabby.  His wife had Yves St. Laurent personally design and supply uniforms for us.  

I'm not convinced that a woman gunning for a decent paying job or a professional role, she would get a job by looking too casual..except if she was a counsellor, facilitator...where part of your role is to make people become comfortable to solve problems.  Or job as a tree planter.

I usually do wear business jacket, 1 colour top with/without a scarf and in past interviews, dress pants and black slingback dress shoes with low heels. For video interview, I wear a tailored dress shirt... one of them is dark navy blue with little white stars all over...it works well since I have black hair and eyes.

• Heart 1

I would try to wear on the dressier side of what people wear at the office.  For a "business casual" workplace, I might go with a dress and cardigan or a  "soft" jacket  - not a structured jacket.  For guys in a business casual setting, I'd probably expect to see a button shirt, jacket and pants,   or a tie and "sport Jacket".

For a casual workplace but an office setting, I'd probably at least go with a skirt, top and cardigan, and I'd expect a guy to go  with nice pants and button down shirt (but could see a tie, shirt and sweater as well).   For a very casual workplace like a big box store, grocery store etc, I'd just expect clean, presentable clothes.

I wouldn't want to be so far out of the way employees dress that I looked totally unaware of the work environment, but I do think dressing up a little shows some respect for the job and interviewer.

• Heart 3

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Not judging, just asking.

Why?

Does it make you a better pilot?

I cannot speak for pilots but there is a strong collection of research that suggests teachers teach better and kids display more time in task when teachers dress “up”. Dress pants, etc.  , not jeans and sweatshirts. 

• Heart 3

11 hours ago, Airehead said:

I cannot speak for pilots but there is a strong collection of research that suggests teachers teach better and kids display more time in task when teachers dress “up”. Dress pants, etc.  , not jeans and sweatshirts. 

Like a habit?  That will at least instill the fear of god in kids.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I'm not convinced that a woman gunning for a decent paying job or a professional role, she would get a job by looking too casual..

I interviewed a female pilot for a Captains position in a corporate flight department.  Her resume was outstanding. Accomplished, well educated, great experience and spoke well on the phone.  When she showed up, she was wearing white pants that were quite see through, flip-flops, a crepe casual blouse and a loose pony tail with flowers in her hair.  IT was a really attractive look for a summer garden party but not at all appropriate for a conservative corporate flight department.  She didn't make the cut based solely on appearance. 

A few years later, she applied again and I agreed to interview her. She came in wearing a woman's suit that very closely emulated our corporate attire.  I hired her the second time around and she turned out to be an outstanding employee and very skilled pilot. 

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Wilburger said:

I think they think it reflects on them.  I worked for one employer that thought our Armani uniforms looked shabby.  His wife had Yves St. Laurent personally design and supply uniforms for us.  

Yeah, but forced wearing of a uniform also lets everyone know who the help is.  Rich people often dig that.

It depends on the job as being overdressed may give an out-of-touch impression, but in general I would wear a tie to an interview.  You're showing respect to the interviewer and the job and that you don't overlook or ignore details and I think it would have a more positive than negative effect.

When I wanted to go into teaching in the early 80's - with a graduate degree but no teaching certificate (earned at night two years later) - I was given a tryout as a substitute teacher.  One day I showed up and was told to sub a gym teacher's classes, who reported to the outdoors sports fields.  I did it in the suit and tie I showed up for work in!  That got a lot of laughs from the teachers but, I soon after got a 2-months-long-term sub position, including upper-level math classes and the principal then recommended me to our countywide school system's personnel manager for a full-time job, which I got.  They knew they had someone who took the job seriously.

As I took the night school classes to get a teaching certificate, fellow students would ask me, "Who do you know in Anne Arundel County Schools that you got a full-time teaching position without a teaching certificate?"  The usual requirement of 8-16 weeks of student teaching to get the certificate was waived and, by my 3rd year I had the Advanced Teaching Certificate with Qualifications to teach AP (college level) Chemistry and Physics.

That suit and tie sure didn't hurt!

I always hated ties - I would slide a small rubber band around the top button, through the hole, and back to the button, hidden under the Windsor knot, and giving me room to breathe.  I didn't wear a suit/sports coat but did wear a tie in the classroom on non-lab days, noticing how the teenagers didn't seem to respect the jean-clad, no-tie teachers very much.  Every little symbol of authority is worth it in today's schools.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Nicer than normal is a guideline. Wear a dress shirt and tie, slacks, polished shoes. Everything wrinkle free. 

Nope to the tie.  Not even on the table anymore.  But, wrinkle free??? Sure.  I am iron-phobic, so everything is wrinkle-free in my wardrobe!

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Nope to the tie.  Not even on the table anymore.

I disagree. I was in Phoenix last week and saw numerous men in the downtown area who were wearing ties. 
Edit: this is for the interview. The work site culture may be more relaxed. 
If not a tie, then a jacket. 

10 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Forward-thinking men such as yourself would wear a skirt. It is so 2021! 

8CF0A668-C52D-465C-944F-8E94F18C07A3.jpeg

At least that would keep some yahoo from keeping his hand in his pocket and jangling keys and change for the whole interview. Yes, I sat through this during an interview at Texas A&M many years ago, and no, he did not get the job.

• Awesome 1