Do you have a sherpa-lined hoodie?

Randomguy

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

UnderArmor was running ads mocking old dudes wearing hoodies.  Who needs a hoodie at your age?  It's as bad as a tie.

It’s a thing in beach communities.  Old guys walking around in a zipper hoodie, shorts & sandals.  It’s been a thing for ages…

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yea and I love it.  Mine is a Quicksilver brand (from a local surf shop) and it’s warm & cozy.  It’s just not cold enough to wear it much here.

One caveat is a cold wind will blow through it so if it’s windy & cold wear something else. 

I don't wear a winter coat, those seem so single-purpose.  I layer.

I have a winter outer layer of a Patagonia thin hooded jacket, then maybe a hoodie underneath and/or a down vest over the hoodie.  I can also wear a waffle henley for extra warmth, too and whatever I want to wear under that.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

It’s a thing in beach communities.  Old guys walking around in a zipper hoodie, shorts & sandals.  It’s been a thing for ages…

I fgiured they would wear those woven hoodie things from Mexico.   We call them Bajas here.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Well I just wouldn't do that, nothing without a zipper!

SM-PC78FZ-Athletic-Heather-E.jpg

27 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I fgiured they would wear those woven hoodie things from Mexico.   We call them Bajas here.

They were a thing when I was in HS and briefly made a brief comeback when my kids were in HS.  We don’t see too many of those anymore. 

Just now, ChrisL said:
27 minutes ago, jsharr said:

They were a thing when I was in HS and briefly made a brief comeback when my kids were in HS.  We don’t see too many of those anymore. 

Expand  

Im having serious issues with my thumbs… my reply was hidden in @jsharr text?

The Mexican pullovers were a thing in my day and did make a brief comeback when my kids were in HS.  I still have one of my sons, he didn’t like them but an old GF bought him one. 

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

So what should I get, and why?

Both?  I live in zippered hoodies from about now to June.  I have the fleece lined one and a thinner one.  The fleece one is a bit big & bulky to wear under another jacket but the thin one you can. Depending on temps I’ll wear whichever makes more sense.

Sometimes I’ll wear a light wind shirt  (baseball coaches wear them and golfers too. It’s a wind resistant SS shirt) over a t shirt and then wear the fleece. That works well when it’s cool & breezy.

Anyway both are really practical but serve different purposes. 

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Both?  I live in zippered hoodies from about now to June.  I have the fleece lined one and a thinner one.  The fleece one is a bit big & bulky to wear under another jacket but the thin one you can. Depending on temps I’ll wear whichever makes more sense.

Sometimes I’ll wear a light wind shirt  (baseball coaches wear them and golfers too. It’s a wind resistant SS shirt) over a t shirt and then wear the fleece. That works well when it’s cool & breezy.

Anyway both are really practical but serve different purposes. 

What colors should I get?  

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I don't wear a winter coat, those seem so single-purpose.  I layer.

I have a winter outer layer of a Patagonia thin hooded jacket, then maybe a hoodie underneath and/or a down vest over the hoodie.  I can also wear a waffle henley for extra warmth, too and whatever I want to wear under that.

Are you warm in those thin hooded jacket plus whatever ..in NYC winters?

I have several hoodies..I don't seem to remember to wear them. One is timeless and chic....black, slightly thin materisl and form fitting.

I do not like the way Sherpa launders.  It gets lumpy and hard pretty quickly.  I would go with something else.  Carharrt thermal may do the job for you.  As an added bonus they are water resistant, but not water proof like their jackets.

Can people who live in NYC wear Carharrt gear?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I wear a zipper front hooded sweatshirt. Always have. In fact, many people consider me to be an expert on the matter. I advise against a sherpa lined hoodie. There are insulated models that don't present the difficulties of sherpa and provide high performance insulation with less weight. Frankly, I recommend you continue to use your hoodie as a component of your layering system. 

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I wear a zipper front hooded sweatshirt. Always have. In fact, many people consider me to be an expert on the matter. I advise against a sherpa lined hoodie. There are insulated models that don't present the difficulties of sherpa and provide high performance insulation with less weight. Frankly, I recommend you continue to use your hoodie as a component of your layering system. 

this

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Never even heard about this, and I would not wear one. Also arthritis in shoulder requires full zip for me.

I meant, what RG is calling "Sherpa-lined" was likely a malapropism of "shearling-lined" which is one of your areas of expertise.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Can you really see @Randomguy doing this??? 

RIDGE_-307_1_1000x.jpg?v=1634852878

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Can you really see @Randomguy doing this??? 

RIDGE_-307_1_1000x.jpg?v=1634852878

Hell, yes! I buy them on sale, but they are a real good base layer to wear over shirt and t-shirt and under my suspenders. Wear a jacket or heavy coat on top if needed. Hood pulls up nicely over a gimme cap.

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

I do not like the way Sherpa launders.  It gets lumpy and hard pretty quickly.  I would go with something else. 

I just checked, the lining is 100% polyester.  Does that make a difference?

3 hours ago, donkpow said:

Same question.  This would definitely be layered in the frigid Kirby season of hell.