Pineapple butts are the best!

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by Razors Edge,

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have noticed that the ass-end of the pineapple (opposite of the stalk-end) is soooo much sweeter, why is that?

Discus.

It is a thing.

Pineapple ripens from the bottom up.  It is part art & part science when to cut a pineapple.  Wait too long and the top is good but bottom over ripe. Don’t wait long enough and the bottom is ripe but the top is tart. 

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I often flip the can prior to popping the top off.  That redistributes the sweetness, and it's nice throughout.

But I'm a bit of a "pineapple connoisseur".

When I was a kid my job was to cut the pineapple. My dad taught me his method where you cut the eyes out in a horizontal V shaped cuts. Took freaking forever. 

But I still do love fresh pineapple as do my kids and they are cheap at the LGS so we have them often. But I have modified the cutting method…

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It is a thing.

Pineapple ripens from the bottom up.  It is part art & part science when to cut a pineapple.  Wait too long and the top is good but bottom over ripe. Don’t wait long enough and the bottom is ripe but the top is tart. 

What about the ones that have the "sweet and ready to eat" tags on them?  I feel that this is wishful thinking at best.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

What about the ones that have the "sweet and ready to eat" tags on them?  I feel that this is wishful thinking at best.

Gimmick… I look for ones that are yellowish brown on the bottom 1/3 -1/2 of the pineapple.  I generally shop on weekends & cut them up when my kids come over for Sunday dinner so find one mostly ripe.  But you can get a green one & keep it in a cool place out of direct sun and it will continue to ripen. 

Just now, Longjohn said:

Did you ever have to cut a papaya? I told someone that she cut the papaya and they thought I was speaking in tongues. (Old Pentecostal missionary joke)

My dad loved papaya too and we had a tree in the yard but I didn’t really care for them.  One of the few fruits I don’t care for.