Have we ever talked about Seinfeld here?

Randomguy

So now that it is on Netflix, I thought I would check it out again like I had never seen it.  I knew from memory that the first season just sucked, I remember describing that to SW that the first season was garbage, but then it started getting better after that.

I watched a few episodes in the first season and it sucked every bit as badly as I remember it.  Then I perused descriptions of some episodes in the second season and remembered them pretty well, but nothing that I really wanted to watch at the moment.  The same with the third season and the fourth season and so on.  

So even though it got much better, I remember the episodes enough that I didn't really want to watch them.  It was weird, even though I knew the episodes were really good, I didn't want to watch any finally just went to something else.

I will watch certain Simpsons episodes even though I know most of the lines, but not sitcoms.  Maybe the charm really is only in the moment with some shows, although I still consider Seinfeld one of the best comedy shows ever.

Discus.

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

The thing that stands out for me in the recent bout of reruns is the very intrusive laugh track. Makes it seem as old as I Love Lucy. 

The same amount of time has passed between the beginning of Seinfeld and now as the amount of time from the end of I Love Lucy and Seinfeld.  :(

32 minutes ago, SamWithCheese said:

Lucille Ball, died April 26, 1989

Seinfeld premiered July 5, 1989

Jerry says they only used a laugh track to give the same feel for scenes that couldn't be shit shot in front of a live audience.  So I guess my beef is with the loudness of the laughing, not the artificial-ness.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seinfeld remains infinitely re-watchable.  The beauty of it is that you really can drop in at any part of the show, roll with it for as long as you want, and it will entertain. 

Yup, some classic stuff.  The Mike Douglas set was a great example.  I think of Jerry every time I buy marble rye. :D That was a mean scene but funny in its ridiculousness. 

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Further said:

I haven't tried rewatching 3rd Rock From the Sun, I remember it as being funny.

Seinfeld has lost it's charm for me. I really think a lot of the shallowness of people today can be traced to Seinfeld.

I wonder why some shows never get rerun.  There are a lot of shows that died premature deaths that I really liked that are in that category.  I guess long runs like Friends or Seinfeld or ILL or The Office are preferred. 

I've never glommed onto Seinfield.

Honest, I think it was because it was set in NYC supposedly this huge metropolitan city....yet no friends of colour. Kinda stupid when you think about it.  I know one of the characters is Jewish.

It started to grate on me..at that time I was too busy studying to watch it on consistent basis, then later lost interest in tv. 

I haven't tried rewatching 3rd Rock From the Sun, I remember it as being funny.

Seinfeld has lost it's charm for me. I really think a lot of the shallowness of people today can be traced to Seinfeld.

Never got into Seinfeld. I liked his standup, but not the sitcom. 

3rd Rock was a lot of fun at times. The episode where they got colds was great!

Some of the characters' stupid pettiness/shallowness that seemed funny the first time around, seems more irritating now.  Still, now that it's on Netflix I imagine we will start making our way through.  Once we're done with Schitt's Creek.

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Not too ,many people are neutral on the Seinfeld TV show.  Love or hate. :D

The ending was a part of this. The hype to the final show was the largest ever then Larry David intentionally sabotaged his own show with the final episode.  

Seinfeld was Larry David. Complex, groundbreaking,  insane, and funny. 

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Some of the characters' stupid pettiness/shallowness that seemed funny the first time around, seems more irritating now.  Still, now that it's on Netflix I imagine we will start making our way through.  Once we're done with Schitt's Creek.

I look at that shallowness as comic license and just schtick. 

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seinfeld remains infinitely re-watchable.  The beauty of it is that you really can drop in at any part of the show, roll with it for as long as you want, and it will entertain. 

This is all true.  I used to tune in to reruns back when streaming hadn't really gotten into the mainstream (no pun intended) yet, and you could pick right up and go.  Maybe it was too memorable or something, or maybe I had seen it too many times this way?

39 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yup, some classic stuff.  The Mike Douglas set was a great example.  I think of Jerry every time I buy marble rye. :D That was a mean scene but funny in its ridiculousness. 

Every time the Great British Bake Off has the contestants make a babka, I'm thinking Seinfeld!  Soup?  You know it!  Even bagels or Chinese restaurants???  Yeehaaa!

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This is all true.  I used to tune in to reruns back when streaming hadn't really gotten into the mainstream (no pun intended) yet, and you could pick right up and go.  Maybe it was too memorable or something, or maybe I had seen it too many times this way?

I think watching any show from the start to the finish is VERY different from feeling the comfort of dropping in with a group you know, hanging for a bit, and then moving on. Comforting.  TV's version of a Cheers bar.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think watching any show from the start to the finish is VERY different from feeling the comfort of dropping in with a group you know, hanging for a bit, and then moving on. Comforting.  TV's version of a Cheers bar.

Yeah - why is Cheers seldom rerun?  I guess it has been but nowhere near to the extent of ILL or Seinfeld or The Office.

15 hours ago, Randomguy said:

So now that it is on Netflix, I thought I would check it out again like I had never seen it.  I knew from memory that the first season just sucked, I remember describing that to SW that the first season was garbage, but then it started getting better after that.

I watched a few episodes in the first season and it sucked every bit as badly as I remember it.  Then I perused descriptions of some episodes in the second season and remembered them pretty well, but nothing that I really wanted to watch at the moment.  The same with the third season and the fourth season and so on.  

So even though it got much better, I remember the episodes enough that I didn't really want to watch them.  It was weird, even though I knew the episodes were really good, I didn't want to watch any finally just went to something else.

I will watch certain Simpsons episodes even though I know most of the lines, but not sitcoms.  Maybe the charm really is only in the moment with some shows, although I still consider Seinfeld one of the best comedy shows ever.

Discus.

If I was going to be imprisoned on a desert island for years and could take the video files of 10 TV series with me, Seinfeld would probably be one.  I really liked that show.

It ran from 1989 - 1998, years when I was coaching high school sports and often missed the show, so I loved the fact that the episodes story lines were mostly independent of each other and I could watch it not having missed something important in a previous episode.

And there were some memorable episodes like the Soup Nazi, etc. I could use in school.  Just when my physics students would be getting bored and losing attention I'd ask someone a question, get a wrong answer, then scream, "No soup for you!" and wake up the class.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I tend to prefer watching an episode or 2 at at time.  Some of the smaller TV stations will run 4 or 6 in a row. Not sure if the Netflix deal will change that.

39 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I tend to prefer watching an episode or 2 at at time.  Some of the smaller TV stations will run 4 or 6 in a row. Not sure if the Netflix deal will change that.

Funny how the Netflix thing is coinciding with Seinfeld returning to tv reruns in my area after a few year hiatus. 

Just now, Randomguy said:

That is exactly it, I already know all the scenes and lines from the show.  He really did call attention to and educated lots of people about their horrible habits that they were previously unaware of just how annoying they were.  

SILENCE!!!!

• Whatever 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

That is exactly it, I already know all the scenes and lines from the show.  He really did call attention to and educated lots of people about their horrible habits that they were previously unaware of just how annoying they were.  

...and yet...I watched the whole clip and chuckled like @Square Wheels at a Medical Records - Best Practices and Top Tips seminar!

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

...and yet...I watched the whole clip and chuckled like @Square Wheels at a Medical Records - Best Practices and Top Tips seminar!

The funny thing is I watched the whole clip too, that is some detestable shmoopie action right there.  How many scenes from "The Contest" can you recall exactly in photographic detail?  I would watch those clips in full again if someone posted them and laugh, just as I would if it were "on tv" when I walked in the room.