Return to the scene of the crime

Road Runner

After 3-1/2 months, I returned to the park where I was so grievously injured.  Just thought some of you bastards and sadists might enjoy seeing what I ran into.

Here is the infamous gate, held together by chains and locks.   :(

See the new shiny lock?  Replacement for the one that I shattered.   :whistle:

A new addition since my crash.  Brand new rumble strips to warn of the impending locked gate!   :)

Here is the long ass, mind-numbing road leading up to the gate (gate right behind me).  The extreme boringness of this ride is why I had my head down thinking of something other than the approaching gate.   :angry:

http://squarewheelscycling.com/uploads/monthly_09_2014/post-73-0-67427100-1411872081.jpg 

Here is the adjacent Dismal Swamp Canal, part of the old original intracoastal waterway, originally surveyed by George Washington, before he was General and President, of course.   :)

More of the vast mind-numbing road.   :(

Here is where I lay on the ground on Father's day evening.  No one in sight.  If a doctor and his SO hadn't appeared seemingly out of nowhere to care for me, I could have laid there all night before someone found me.   :scratch head:  :nod head:

Sorry for the quality of the pics.  My old camera is supposed to auto-focus, but it doesn't.  I need a new camera.  

• Heart 2

Are you OK? Did you hit it again? Can we send cards?

Actually, I AM injured!  In getting these pics, I had the biggest damn mosquitos I have ever seen swarm all over me.  Everytime I stopped the bike, the mosquitos had a feast!

No cards, please.  Just send money.  Paypal preferred.   :)

I hit it from the other side.  There are no signs or reflectors on the other side.  

Just a little strange that you would show us what you hit and not show a pic of the actual approach to the crime scene.  Was the sun shining brightly off the polished aluminum backs of those squares?

Just a little strange that you would show us what you hit and not show a pic of the actual approach to the crime scene.  Was the sun shining brightly off the polished aluminum backs of those squares?

My camera sucks.  I posted the picture which looked the best.  It doesn't really matter.  It IS the same gate, just the other side.  Besides, if I had posted the other side, then you couldn't have ragged on me for missing the reflectors.   :)  

• Heart 1

My camera sucks.  I posted the picture which looked the best.  It doesn't really matter.  It IS the same gate, just the other side.  Besides, if I had posted the other side, then you couldn't have ragged on me for missing the reflectors.   :)  

Yes, yes I would.   :nod head:

• Heart 1

And they added rumble strips after the fact.  After I hit a pole in the center of a trail and broke my hip they removed the pole and paved over the concrete with blacktop.  All it takes is for us to do something stupid and get hurt and they will improve stuff. :rolleyes:

I really think my crash was well discussed among the city park people and maybe even up to the level of the city attorney.  I probably could have sued them and it dawned on them that they should probably add some additional warning devices.  They have also painted the entire paved areas at all the other five gates with bright yellow paint to make the gates more obvious.

That must have been the discussion where I crashed too.  They didn't change it right away though, my wife made me go back to "the scene of the crime" as soon as I was off of the crutches and ride the trail again.  It was just as it was when it hit it.  I didn't ride it again for a couple years and when I did it was totally different.  I never could figure out why they thought steel poles in the middle of a bike trail would be a good idea. Did they think it would keep out four wheelers that are not smart enough to ride around the poles in the grass beside the trail from entering the trail?

From the pictures I get the impression they only added rumble strips to the right hand side of road approaching the gate.  If so, they really should add them all the way across the road in case a cyclist approaches to the gate on the 'wrong' side of the road.  Otherwise they could be opening up themselves to a lawsuit where the plaintiff's attorney notes that the county recognized the danger but was 'negligent' in putting the strips only half way across the road.

From the pictures I get the impression they only added rumble strips to the right hand side of road approaching the gate.  If so, they really should add them all the way across the road in case a cyclist approaches to the gate on the 'wrong' side of the road.  Otherwise they could be opening up themselves to a lawsuit where the plaintiff's attorney notes that the county recognized the danger but was 'negligent' in putting the strips only half way across the road.

Although not shown in these pics, they do have signs painted in various locations on the road directing cyclists to stay in the right lane.

Where did you hit the gate?

Also, where are the pics of the bike?

Well, I had my head down and didn't see the gate, but I think I hit it close to the middle.  I meant to look for evidence on the paint, but forgot.  The mosquitos were eating me alive.

No pics of the bike.  Not much to see.  The shifters/brake levers apparently took the brunt of the collision and were damaged, but not much anything else.  Except me.   :(   If I had had my fingers out on the brake levers, I would have had some broken fingers.

So how did you feel being back there?  Couldn't have been an easy thing to do

Not bad at all, but I am used to riding where I have previously crashed.  Almost every day on my usual city ride, I ride past the scene of another one of my crashes (my worst of all time).  I am reminded of that horrific event almost daily.   :(

Glad the return to the scene of the crime happened without incident.  I know there were several poles on a trail up north  that were eventually removed...designed to keep 3 wheelers and snowmobiles off the trail ...but nasty bad...one was at the bottom a a hill too.  There are also some metal gates on a city trail...on a hill at the crossroad with a motorized traffic road....I think it is to  both warn cyclists of the intersection and keep cars from turning onto  a wide trail...but I still don't like having to "thread the needle"

Once again...glad you are okay and back on the bike.

• Heart 1

• 1 year later...