Dilbert by Scott Adams for Fri, 22 Oct 2021

Comic Bot

A recent podcast on Planet Money about non-compete agreements that most folks sign in the pile of paperwork employers dump on new employees.

Why? Because other companies did it in the past, and it is easy to do - ie cut and paste.  HR is lazy. HR is not there for employees. HR just tries for CYA as much as possible.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

A recent podcast on Planet Money about non-compete agreements that most folks sign in the pile of paperwork employers dump on new employees.

Why? Because other companies did it in the past, and it is easy to do - ie cut and paste.  HR is lazy. HR is not there for employees. HR just tries for CYA as much as possible.

It has been a hell of a long time ago for me, but I don’t remember ever getting a copy. 

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

It has been a hell of a long time ago for me, but I don’t remember ever getting a copy. 

That was one of the points.  One, that folks get bombarded with sign this, fill out that, initial here, yada yada at new jobs so miss a lot of those sorts of clauses. But second, they may get pushback and assume they signed one (HR tells them they did), but in reality, they may NOT have signed one.  The guy in the story was like, "OK, show me the document I signed", and they couldn't.