Talking for hours

Airehead

Just now, 2Far said:

While i did not know the stats, I realized a while ago that there was a strong link to water & Spectrum kids. 

sad but true.  One parent that I know had an issue at Disney World.  Her non-verbal son who was 16 bolted away after a sighting of one of the characters.  They could not find him.  Disney initially could not understand why the parents needed a missing child report on a 16 year old-- time wasted.  Then they asked for a picture.  Well who carries those except on their phone-- time wasted.  Eventually, this young man was reported to security for frolicking in the fountain.  No immediate connection made by staff to person with disability.  They reported him as under the influence as he did not answer basic questions about his name or why he was in a  fountain.  An hour later, his parents were asked to come to security and found their son in handcuffs.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Safety valves. If I had to teach a course on ASME Code valves, I could. After working with this for over 20 years I'm amazed how much I know and can recite w/o looking anything up.  I guess its repetition of reading it over and over, and more so explaining it to people all the time when they ask questions.  Every other year I'm required  by ASME to take a test that consists of 20 multiple choice questions.  Most Questions I begin to read I know the answer w/o looking at the choices. Some questions are a curve ball though :o need to read carefully. I'll stop talking now :D

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I could. Ninety minutes is a long time but I could talk about cooking, travel, bicycles, zymergy (making beer), Washington DC, general history stuff. I was in Toastmasters for many years. 

I always wished my path would have crossed with Toastmasters.

23 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Trucks. Softball.  

Bacon

23 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Safety valves. If I had to teach a course on ASME Code valves, I could. After working with this for over 20 years I'm amazed how much I know and can recite w/o looking anything up.  I guess its repetition of reading it over and over, and more so explaining it to people all the time when they ask questions.  Every other year I'm required  by ASME to take a test that consists of 20 multiple choice questions.  Most Questions I begin to read I know the answer w/o looking at the choices. Some questions are a curve ball though :o need to read carefully. I'll stop talking now :D

Big brain

17 minutes ago, SamWithCheese said:

Greenville

jack russell terriers

television, movies, music, 1983-1987

Jacks-- I'd come to your in-service on them.

There are very smart people who frequent this forum.  

• Heart 2

Grandkids, bikes, hospital stays

When I worked at the summer camp retreat center I witnessed an incident during special needs camp at the pool. This camp week they come prepared and at least one adult for each special needs kid plus we had our lifeguards on high alert. I watch this one boy with a big smile on his face walk right out, duck under the rope from the shallow end of the pool and keep walking until he was over his head. One of our lifeguards yelled to a man that was tending to another special needs kid in the area and he reached over and pulled him up, still smiling. They just don’t understand the danger of water but they are fascinated with it.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Well.........I teach several courses..each are 90 min. long.

One of them is:  aligning business needs with name of information system design for usability and searchability.   I had to develop the content from scratch and reference corporate design standards also.  Like all our courses, we ask for learner feedback afterwards.

I had to whittle it down and jam in a whole lot of info.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

What is something that you could talk for hours about?

Motorcycle racing, sidecar racing, motorcycle racing setups, sidecar frame building, sidecar setup, motorcycle tires, sidecar tires, engine building, race tracks and beer.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

What is something that you could talk for hours about?

I was just asked to present at a conference.  I asked how long was my slot.  The organizer said 90 minutes--- is that too long?  I said, "not at all.  I could talk for hours about prevention plans to decrease the likelihood that a child with autism will bolt or elope from their school staff or parent."

Then I realized, I had already said to much in answer to the question.

Did you know that  kids with an autism spectrum disorder are 160 times more likely to die from drowning compared with the general pediatric population.  This comes from a study of over 32 million death records in the US.  The researchers identified nearly 1,370 people diagnosed with autism who died between 1999 and 2014.

Additionally, someone with autism is three times more likely to suffer an unintentional injury-related death.  People diagnosed with autism also die at an average age of 36, compared with age 72 for the general population.  That seems terrible to me.  More than one-quarter of these deaths among people with autism occur due to injury, most often by suffocation, asphyxiation or drowning.

So heck yes, we need a plan to make sure kids with autism are safe.

But then you have to spend thrice that time defending your knowledge from internet chat room morons that know nothing about your field.  :) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wilburger said:

But then you have to spend thrice that time defending your knowledge from internet chat room morons that know nothing about your field.  :) 

I would like to hear you speak on Aviation Safety, Wilburt.  Love that subject, because all the chips are down, that is one place not to fuck up, and it is even more dramatic than medicine, although I really like that one too, with writers like Atul Gawande.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Each year my enthusiasm for such thing wanes a bit more.  Sad but true.  

Totally understandable and natural.  Boy Scouts has been a ton of work for you.  As someone who really values downtime and has a good bit for a person with a full time job, I can only imagine such a commitment.  Once you pass the torch to the next sucker you can relax. :)

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I am really looking forward to the First Third Annual SWCF Symposium/Brewfest/Grand Fondo/Sidecar rides at the SW Estates Greenhouse and associated grounds. :)

You missed the first 2.  Just because you weren't there doesn't mean we start counting all over again.

Oh, the memories.

• Sad 1

I've done hour long work presentations a number of times, so I'm sure I could expand to 90 minutes easily enough, although I'm not sure anyone would actually listen that long.

Non work related discussions - I could easily cover my favorite tv shows from my childhood. :nodhead: I could probably also come up with enough skating scandals, grudges  and drama to cover 90 minutes.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

What Kirby said. I could talk 90 minutes no problem. Keeping someone’s attention that long is another matter altogether. 

Yesterday I did 90% of the talking on our hour long presentation. Got 3 email complements on the presentation to 15-20 people. Including from my manager. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I've given hour long presentations on how to use a software program to analyze electric use to predict savings from changing to another rate structure, shifting loads from on peak to off peak, or from load reductions from an energy conservation program, along with a few bits about how the program could justify capital projects for upgrading an electrical distribution system, and the flip side of how the program could be used to find waste so an owner could save money by putting off upgrading an electrical system that otherwise seemed imminent.

To make it a 90 minute presentation I'd only have to add in another 253 power point slides.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/22/2021 at 4:51 AM, Airehead said:

Did you know that  kids with an autism spectrum disorder are 160 times more likely to die from drowning compared with the general pediatric population. 

Do you have a documented reference for this?  I do in-water death lectures regularly for Government agencies and Universities, and never knew this stat.  I would like to add it to my material if I can back it up.

Oh and to answer your original question, I have done up to 4 hours (with breaks) on drownings and in-water investigations/forensics and still feel I have left stuff out

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Do you have a documented reference for this?  I do in-water death lectures regularly for Government agencies and Universities, and never knew this stat.  I would like to add it to my material if I can back it up.

Oh and to answer your original question, I have done up to 4 hours (with breaks) on drownings and in-water investigations/forensics and still feel I have left stuff out

Yes, I do. If you send me your email, I will send you a couple articles from work on Monday. I am trying really hard not to turn on my work computer today. 

• Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Have you ever found any fish in styrofoam overshoes that were sent to sleep with the humans?

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Allen said:

General art I  would be good for about a 45 minute lecture. I could go on about photography for…a very long time. 
Fly fishing, days if not months. 

Am pedestrian lover of art. Over the years in various galleries here and overseas what I've noticed:  Reverence, Respect, Omission or Violence – Paintings on Women Over Centuries – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)

We went into museum gallery in Dijon, France. Was admiring the medieval and Renassiance oil paintings. Of course paintings in those eras tend to have religious themes.  I was abit shocked by some themes..graphic done in Renaissance era. To teach people lessons....art to serve a didactic purpose.

I would find it tough talk off the cuff about more ethereal/conceptual topics..ie. creativity. It's just easier to write about:  Humanities and Arts: Talent and Creativity Redefines Logic – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)  Creativity is favourite hobbyhorse of  mine...different ways how various disciplines approach it and one integrates it throughout life in what one thinks/does.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

Yes, I do. If you send me your email, I will send you a couple articles from work on Monday. I am trying really hard not to turn on my work computer today. 

Sending you a pm.  There is no rush, but sometime when you have a minute that would be wonderful.