Tragic

Wilbur

8 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

It's happened before. There was a case where a young actor held a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. He knew that it was loaded with a blank but didn't realize even a blank had quite a blast.

Bruce Lee's son, Brandon?  I can't remember the particulars of his demise. 

It all depends on how this happened... 

For 2 people to get shot... that seems unusual.  First he would need to be pointing the gun at them, and pull the trigger  Then how can 2 people get shot?  Unless a real bullet was chambered and went thru the first person and killed the other.   :(     Or worse he pulled the trigger twice.

Why would he point the gun at anyone, that was not part of the movie scene to be recorded?    Was there a real bullet used? 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

For 2 people to get shot... that seems unusual.  First he would need to be pointing the gun at them, and pull the trigger  Then how can 2 people get shot?  Unless a real bullet was chambered and went thru the first person and killed the other.   :(   

Why would he point the gun at anyone, that was not part of the movie scene to be recorded?    Was there a real bullet used? 

I'll wait till further information is forthcoming.

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

For 2 people to get shot... that seems unusual.  First he would need to be pointing the gun at them, and pull the trigger  Then how can 2 people get shot?  Unless a real bullet was chambered and went thru the first person and killed the other.   :(     Or worse he pulled the trigger twice.

One news agency said the second injury was a shrapnel injury while standing close to Baldwin. 

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

First he would need to be pointing the gun at them, and pull the trigger  Then how can 2 people get shot?  Unless a real bullet was chambered and went thru the first person and killed the other. 

Prop Gun That Killed Cinematographer on Alec Baldwin Film Contained ‘Live Single Round,’ Union Claims

If that is true, which seems to fit the facts (so far),  why would he be pointing a gun at a person and pull the trigger???    

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Prop Gun That Killed Cinematographer on Alec Baldwin Film Contained ‘Live Single Round,’ Union Claims

If that is true, which seems to fit the facts (so far),  why would he be pointing a gun at a person and pull the trigger???    

The person was a cinematographer.  Maybe the director wanted that view.

AlecBaldwin(HABF) (@AlecBaldwin) Tweeted:

There are no words to convey my shock and sadness regarding the tragic accident that took the life of Halyna Hutchins, a wife, mother and deeply admired colleague of ours. I'm fully cooperating with the police investigation to address how this tragedy occurred and

I have been fortunate enough to see a movie style gun fight a long time ago.. 

basically the actors run through their parts with rubber guns over and over, and right before they film, the prop team runs out and hands over the movie set guns. As soon as the scene was over, the prop people ran back out and took the movie guns away. Personally I put blame on the people that are in charge of the props. They are the ones responsible for cleaning, loading, and whatnot. 
it’s not up to the actors to check over the gun or know what they are looking for in a real bullet or blank. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I have been fortunate enough to see a movie style gun fight a long time ago.. 

basically the actors run through their parts with rubber guns over and over, and right before they film, the prop team runs out and hands over the movie set guns. As soon as the scene was over, the prop people ran back out and took the movie guns away. Personally I put blame on the people that are in charge of the props. They are the ones responsible for cleaning, loading, and whatnot. 
it’s not up to the actors to check over the gun or know what they are looking for in a real bullet or blank. 

It should be.  After all, they are the one's using and pointing the gun.

Firearm responsibility should be taught at all levels.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It should be.  After all, they are the one's using and pointing the gun.

Firearm responsibility should be taught at all levels.

It should be,  but I can bet a lot of actors never really shot a real gun before. From what I am seeing online.. It looks like the Props Union was not on set, so therefore I'm guessing all the safety precautions were not taken as they should have. 

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Back to the basics...

The ONLY way someone gets shot, is the gun is pointed at a person and the trigger is pulled.

AB is in trouble for being irresponsible with a weapon.    

Was this part of a scene being filmed? Or was he wandering around with a gun he picked up and was "playing" with it?

I haven't really followed the story, but would think if it was part of the actual filming of a scene, the actors are relying on about a bazillion other folks to get it right, and when an actor shoots a gun - in a scene - it is the one provided by those assorted folks, set-up (seemingly) the way it should be set up, and aimed where the director is directing it be aimed.  The off-camera folks are then in the positions they would need to be in to support the scene as it is filmed, and that may be right in the line of the intended "fake" shot.  :(  Like any of those many many scenes we have seen in movies looking down a barrel at a shooters face as the gun is shot.

Tragic all around.  Avoidable as well.  Just shitty.

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Was this part of a scene being filmed? Or was he wandering around with a gun he picked up and was "playing" with it?

I'd assume the director of photography Halyna Hutchins, and the crew member were NOT going to be in the film.

That leaves a very high possibility that AB was playing with the gun.  I can imagine AB telling Hutchins he didn't like how the scene was being filmed (or recorded) joking he was going to shoot her, etc...   and he uses the 'safe' gun and does just that... shoots her and the crew member was just too close and got hit too. :(

For 'normal' people there would be prison time for something as stupid as this.  This should have never happened. 

26 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

That leaves a very high possibility that AB was playing with the gun.

That is a big assumption on your part.

27 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I'd assume the director of photography Halyna Hutchins, and the crew member were NOT going to be in the film

But we're they standing behind a camera?  This is a movie set.  Cameras would be in place to confirm angles and lighting.  What was the angle they wanted of him pulling a trigger.  Lots of shows show a gun pointed towards a camera.  Inevitably that means they were pointed at people on set.

Again, we need to wait for a full investigation to be completed.  There will be a lot of interviews, reinterviews and maybe even a few walk-throughs before conclusions are reached

4 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

but why would lethal ammunition be anywhere near a movie set?

According to the article above posted by MoseySusan, a 'live' round on a movie set may mean a 'live' blank.  Not sure how it ends up with a projectile.

The suspicious me wonders if someone protesting the three accidental discharges didn't bring in a live round in hopes to further their point.  I hope not, but everyone's a suspect until proven otherwise 

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

True...

5 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Again, we need to wait for a full investigation to be completed.  There will be a lot of interviews, reinterviews and maybe even a few walk-throughs before conclusions are reached

Yeah.... sooner or later there will be an explanation.  

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

If you wish to hand me a firearm you are going to have to break it open and show me that it's unloaded before I'm going to take it.  I don't trust anyone.

This is why I was tight by my dad as a child.  Show and then share. He still demands it from all of us and I would never do anything else. 

• Awesome 3

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

But we're they standing behind a camera?  This is a movie set.  Cameras would be in place to confirm angles and lighting.  What was the angle they wanted of him pulling a trigger.  Lots of shows show a gun pointed towards a camera.  Inevitably that means they were pointed at people on set.

I was going to say exactly this.  Let the investigation run its course & then we can decide who was at fault. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

This is why I was tight by my dad as a child.  Show and then share. He still demands it from all of us and I would never do anything else. 

Pretty much standard protocol in the military. We couldn’t turn in a weapon to an armorer that wasn’t cleared with an open bolt.  During “Inspection Arms”  you open the bolt, look in the chamber to ensure it’s clear  then present the weapon to the inspecting officer. 

The day before the accidental shooting, many in the camera crew quit and walked off the set over lack of gun and COVID safety.

Then the film company, after the shooting, had the nerve to claim it wasn't aware of any complaints by employees - as if it didn't miss much of the camera crew!