First Look the MGBGT

Ralphie

12 minutes ago, groupw said:

That was where my brain went when I saw the other post!

I figure it is the first look for most people.  I was stupid enough to buy a used 72 that looked just like that for my first car while on my own, which was incredibly dumb for your only car!

I used to carry spare distributor caps and once a taar guy talked me into going tubeless against my better judgement so I woke up the next workday to four flat taars. :(  Fun times.  I rolled them two at a time to the gas station about half a mike away to get enough air to get back to the taar place.

I used to put the racing kart in the back, so its rear end hung oot.  That got some looks, :D  The front wheels would hook right over the car's rear wheelwells. :D  Not a whole lot of room leftover for the accoutrements like a gas can and tools, etc.

• Heart 3

Never did the MGBGT. I did have a fun day with an MG Midget. My parents are very close to a couple in the city where I went to college. The wife was very hot. I had gone up to Target to get something and ran into her in the store. It was a beautiful day and she was driving her Midget doing errands. She knew I liked the car so she asked if I would want to drive her around. So I played chauffer for a beautiful blonde for a couple hours. That was my Mrs Robinson moment. 

That was 40+ years ago. They still have the Midget. It hasn't been driven in years. It got tucked behind a pickup project of his in the garage and was kind of forgotten. We were visiting with them a couple years ago and she mentioned they need to clear out the garage because his health is just not good enough to do much out there. However, she may have to wait until he passes. Her son wants the pickup project, but none of her kids are interested in the Midget. She mentioned giving it to me. If I have space when the time comes, maybe...

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, groupw said:

Never did the MGBGT. I did have a fun day with an MG Midget. My parents are very close to a couple in the city where I went to college. The wife was very hot. I had gone up to Target to get something and ran into her in the store. It was a beautiful day and she was driving her Midget doing errands. She knew I liked the car so she asked if I would want to drive her around. So I played chauffer for a beautiful blonde for a couple hours. That was my Mrs Robinson moment. 

That was 40+ years ago. They still have the Midget. It hasn't been driven in years. It got tucked behind a pickup project of his in the garage and was kind of forgotten. We were visiting with them a couple years ago and she mentioned they need to clear out the garage because his health is just not good enough to do much out there. However, she may have to wait until he passes. Her son wants the pickup project, but none of her kids are interested in the Midget. She mentioned giving it to me. If I have space when the time comes, maybe...

:skipping::slow-dance-smiley:  Do it!  My brother and I had a Midget and nothing feels more British. :) A mechanical ox cart but still so much fun.  Loved the exhaust note with the top down.  How much rust?

1 hour ago, groupw said:

TAKE THE CAR!!!!

You will otherwise spend the rest of your miserable existence in regret.  I mean, other than the regret on not completing the Mrs., Robinson thing.

I was at a friend's house, for whatever reason ended up in the garage.  What's that over there?  Oh, my brother and I found that years ago, never did anything with it, probably should get rid of it.

A Sunbeam Tiger!  Some rust, but running condition!  I couldn't talk him into selling it to me.  It's gone now, he didn't, say where to or how.

Back in '76, my parents had a friend who was moving out of state and didn't want to take her car.  She offered it to me for $500.  My mom wouldn't let me, I didn't have a driver's license yet.  A 64 Impala, convertible white, red interior, 409, about 20,000 miles, perfect condition.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

:skipping::slow-dance-smiley:  Do it!  My brother and I had a Midget and nothing feels more British. :) A mechanical ox cart but still so much fun.  Loved the exhaust note with the top down.  How much rust?

1 hour ago, 12string said:

TAKE THE CAR!!!!

You will otherwise spend the rest of your miserable existence in regret.  I mean, other than the regret on not completing the Mrs., Robinson thing.

I was at a friend's house, for whatever reason ended up in the garage.  What's that over there?  Oh, my brother and I found that years ago, never did anything with it, probably should get rid of it.

A Sunbeam Tiger!  Some rust, but running condition!  I couldn't talk him into selling it to me.  It's gone now, he didn't, say where to or how.

Back in '76, my parents had a friend who was moving out of state and didn't want to take her car.  She offered it to me for $500.  My mom wouldn't let me, I didn't have a driver's license yet.  A 64 Impala, convertible white, red interior, 409, about 20,000 miles, perfect condition.

I haven’t seen it it many years, but it was always garaged to my knowledge. If the offer is still there, I will do what I can to take her up on it. 

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

Can we skip to MG TF?  My father's college roommate restored old MG's.  He had a beautiful TF.

File:MHV MG TF 1500 01.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

A distant relative of mine had one that looked just like that. He always drove it to family reunions and he had it forever. The last reunion I was at he didn’t drive it. I asked him where it was and he said he is almost too old to drive (he is in his late nineties) so he sold it to someone in England and shipped it back over there.

• Awesome 1