When Was The Last Time You Actually Set Foot In A Bank

Razors Edge

Just now, sheep_herder said:

A few times since covid, and may go there today. No biggie in a small town. Often use drive through, and have never used an ATM.

You were a in the 100% likely column - mainly due to the stories you have told about visits to town and the various conversations you have with people at different places.

We need something notarized, and we have a "free" notary at our bank, so likely a trip there is in the works.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Earlier this year. I had to make a transfer that was too large to make electronically so had to go in to the credit union to do it.   Before that….. Not sure several years.

How large is too large? I didn’t know there was a limit. It makes sense I guess. When I paid for my Lynskey I paid with my debit card and my bank text me and ask if that was really me bought a $5,200 bicycle in Tennessee?

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How large is too large? I didn’t know there was a limit. It makes sense I guess. When I paid for my Lynskey I paid with my debit card and my bank text me and ask if that was really me bought a $5,200 bicycle in Tennessee?

About 2X the amount of your bike.  I think the limit (for my bank, maybe others too) was $8K for wire transfer. 

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

About 2X the amount of your bike.  I think the limit (for my bank, maybe others too) was $8K for wire transfer. 

Our limit for online check deposits is $10k per month.  That can be a PITA, but they do say you can visit a BoA branch for larger deposits.  It makes sense as they probably limit fraud a little that way?

Just now, sheep_herder said:

The limits that irritate me are the fuel pumps that cut off at $85 when paying with a credit card. Had it happen just the other day with the pu.

Yep - I never hit a limit on a pump, but I remember my buddy with the F150 ranting regularly about it during the mid-2000s or so.  It is one of those, "it made sense when gas was $0.99 a gallon, but not so much in the $3+ era" sorts of things.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Ouch!  That’s almost two fills for my car and our gas is expensive! 

1-ton diesel pu with a camper, after returning from Rapid City via the Devils Tower. It has a 30+gallon tank. Usually fill it when the milage meter goes over 300 miles. Gauge has not worked for a while.

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

1-ton diesel pu with a camper, after returning from Rapid City via the Devils Tower. It has a 30+gallon tank. Usually fill it when the milage meter goes over 300 miles. Gauge has not worked for a while.

Your gas tank would probably fill my trunk! 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Our limit for online check deposits is $10k per month.  That can be a PITA, but they do say you can visit a BoA branch for larger deposits.  It makes sense as they probably limit fraud a little that way?

IIRC these have to do with RICO laws that went into effect in the 80’s due to drug lords dumping so much cash into accounts. 

I didn’t  word my response correctly above either. We could have wire transferred more than we did, just anything over $8K had to be done in person in the branch. 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...waited in line, and spoke to a teller?

I think, for me, it was 5+ years or so ago, and when the branch next to the office close, that was it.  No more banks.  ATM? Maybe sometime since then? Drive through teller?  :scratchhead: Even longer.

I did last wk. I didn't have to but bank was near grocery store and there was no lineup.

When I retire, I will need to go in person. I plan to grill the staff person to ensure I get the right answer because I have divide an investment strategy.  I absolutely have no interest in online chat...just crazy and stupid waste of time..typing away. Nor do I want to talk on phone concerning thousands of dollars.  Razor there ARE times  you must go in person....your wife doing executor duties probably had to visit the bank the lst time.  The legal matter/signature from right (lay) person is very real and serious on certain banking matters.

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I did last wk. I didn't have to but bank was near grocery store and there was no lineup.

When I retire, I will need to go in person. I plan to grill the staff person to ensure I get the right answer because I have divide an investment strategy.  I absolutely have no interest in online chat...just crazy and stupid waste of time..typing away. Nor do I want to talk on phone concerning thousands of dollars.  Razor there ARE times  you must go in person....your wife doing executor duties probably had to visit the bank the lst time.  The legal matter/signature from right (lay) person is very real and serious on certain banking matters.

Oh, I've been to an "investment bank" to talk over that sort of stuff (but pre-COVID).  I'm thinking more along a checking/savings bank sort of thing. But, for sure, face to face with the person helping you with investing can never hurt!

Today. With everyone banking online or by drive thru, it’s usually no lines no waiting when I walk in. Depositing cash in person is less hassle than dealing with the ATM. The bank is locally owned and makes a point of knowing their customers. Really nice in a throwback way. 

• Heart 2

Last Spring was the last time all the way inside to the Credit Union's (SECU's) main office: every few months I step inside SECU's lobby to get cash, which I rarely use - one ATM machine there lets you specify how many 1's, 5's, 10's, 20's, or 50's you want.

When I get a check in the mail, I personally deposit it inside at SECU with a teller - though the tellers are at a different location and you only see them on a large monitor. I don't trust the drop-off box to not lose it and I haven't done the take-a-picture app because I don't want to put my banking information on my phone.  Maybe I'll do an online picture next time if that's available - my computer is tremendously more protected from viruses, etc. than my cell phone.

Also, if I get a new CD, I like to go to SECU and do it, because they'll tell me if a new, better rate is coming up and I can take my sister with me - I put her name as secondary owner on my CD's and she has to sign personally at SECU.

I sold some shares of several stocks last Spring that I own through DRIP plans when I had additions done, paid for termite damage, etc. to the house while it was being repaired.  I had not set it up so the DRIP's would deposit the money paid to me directly to my checking account and it would take a couple weeks before such a request went into effect, so I got some paper checks last Spring to cover it.

I now have it set up so all my accounts for stocks and Series-I Savings Bonds can mail the money directly to my checking account.

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Oh, I've been to an "investment bank" to talk over that sort of stuff (but pre-COVID).  I'm thinking more along a checking/savings bank sort of thing. But, for sure, face to face with the person helping you with investing can never hurt!

Honest, I have no respect if the generation 2 stages younger than us, does not walk in to figure out their mortgage options /structure their accounts appropriately OR needs to pick up their replacement card for a lost credit card. To be absolutely certain the new card won't get intercepted in the courier/mail ..is to ask to have it delivered to local branch.

It is on us, to teach the youngsters when it is valuable to do meaningful transactions in person...it's not banking specialized services, large /sensitive contract negotiations..or dating. :D 

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

needs to pick up their replacement card for a lost credit card. To be absolutely certain the new card won't get intercepted in the courier/mail ..is to ask to have it delivered to local branch.

I'm never going in person for something they can easily FedEx to me! :happyanim:

Just now, shootingstar said:

the problem is we don't have conceriege, they leave pkgs. in common area.

Okay.  But that's extenuating circumstances.  Most folks likely can get packages safely delivered to their homes (or fancy schmancy concierges!).  Heck, I bet @Randomguy on loses 10% of the stuff he orders to theft :D

50 minutes ago, Allen said:

I am still paid by check. I go inside every Tuesday; that’s my day off. I don’t like the drive through because I have forgotten to return the tube shuttle thingy twice. And they charged me for it twice. Damn things are expensive. 

Too bad, the company isn't making things easier on themselves by you digitally (or they are avoiding some tax payments).

20 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Too bad, the company isn't making things easier on themselves by you digitally (or they are avoiding some tax payments).

I’m ok with it. The bank is right next to my favorite lunch spot. I park at the bank, call in a to go order, deposit my check, and then pick up lunch.