Pissed off

Prophet Zacharia

That sucks! I follow all the guidelines and try to remain as isolated as possible. 

But one night 6 months back, went to a local restaurant. Thank goodness we get to get some kind of normalcy.  But there was a lady in a booth across from us, walking in without a mask coughing it up! :angry:

The joint's requirement was to wear a mask. I myself would have asked her to leave. The family of 3 sits down and the lady can barely go one minute without coughing hard. Then her mother (?) next to her starts doing the same. Neither one entering or wearing a mask. 

Man, we ate like lions then ran out of there as quick as we could.  Stupid people have no consideration. I have a hard time not giving stupid the stink eye whenever they look over at me. :D

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Of one my wife’s coworkers came to work sick this week. Took off her mask, coughing. Now my wife has 101+ fever and is coughing up a storm. 

Trying to get a rapid Covid test at the moment. So frustrating. If you’re sick, just stay home. 

Damn sorry to hear that. Does her HR know in the event they need to spool up Covid protocols? 

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Of one my wife’s coworkers came to work sick this week. Took off her mask, coughing. Now my wife has 101+ fever and is coughing up a storm. 

Trying to get a rapid Covid test at the moment. So frustrating. If you’re sick, just stay home. 

God, that sucks, I hope it is just a passing thing.  People are horrible, a lot of them.  :angry:

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I would be pissed as well.  If you come to work with Covid, you should be fired and fined.  

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

She had gotten Pfizer in February, but not the booster. I got the booster a few weeks ago. Hoping it will protect me from any illness. She’s doing ok, so hopefully her vaccines will keep her from more serious illness.

Praying  for the best. 

It's a sad fact that people feel it's their right to put others' health in danger.

In the USA, the COVID case and death numbers have been going back up, but in states like high-vax, high-mask-use Maryland, the numbers are down and the case and death rates much lower than the national average.

But that won't last long.  Lowest-in-the-nation in vaccinations West Virginia sends thousand of its people into Maryland every workday and, once again, they'll push the infection rate back up.

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Can't practice at my hospital.

Should be fired.

I don’t know where things are in terms of the Federal mandate, does that kick-in in December for anyone working with Medicare/Medicaid patients? Although I don’t know if that will apply to this woman, as they are a research unit… unless similar mandates will apply for NIH funded grant workers?

My wife’s hospital has not (yet) taken the mandated approach due 1) a fairly high vaccination acceptance rate locally and 2) fear a mandate would lead to staffing shortages due to resignations, causing a bigger hole in patient care. Obviously, I disagree with that decision.

Oh, and the kicker is we obviously can’t prove it was this woman, she could obviously claim someone else exposed the both of them. And she’ll never test herself for Covid. MAYBE my wife’s unit’s Medical Director will act, she knows this woman’s vaccination status and attitudes, but by now it’s too late. And now this woman will have natural immunity (and actually be medically contra-indicated for a vaccine for awhile). 

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t know where things are in terms of the Federal mandate, does that kick-in in December for anyone working with Medicare/Medicaid patients? Although I don’t know if that will apply to this woman, as they are a research unit… unless similar mandates will apply for NIH funded grant workers?

My wife’s hospital has not (yet) taken the mandated approach due 1) a fairly high vaccination acceptance rate locally and 2) fear a mandate would lead to staffing shortages due to resignations, causing a bigger hole in patient care. Obviously, I disagree with that decision.

Oh, and the kicker is we obviously can’t prove it was this woman, she could obviously claim someone else exposed the both of them. And she’ll never test herself for Covid. MAYBE my wife’s unit’s Medical Director will act, she knows this woman’s vaccination status and attitudes, but by now it’s too late. And now this woman will have natural immunity (and actually be medically contra-indicated for a vaccine for awhile). 

I hear federal mandate for those accepting Medicare funds is on its way.

Our deadline was 10/15.  You're currently on unpaid leave if not vaccinated.  Cannot work.  All access shut off.  You have until 11/5 to get vaccinated or you're terminated.

I think we'll lose about 250 people out of over 21k.  The whole system has close to 90k, not sure how many the system will lose.

Now every normal experience is being micro-analyzed in my mind. Slight scratchy throat? From yelling at the football game, or Covid?  I slept poorly with cats crawling on me on the couch last night. Slight headache, sleep deprivation, or Covid? This sucks.

I’ve proposed to my boss that I work from home, test on Wednesday and return to work when/if that resolves negative. I think our official work guidelines are “watch symptoms” and report to work in person unless symptomatic, but that seems too cavalier to me.

My wife’s been offered monoclonal antibodies  for Tuesday. Now to research the risk/benefits associated with them. 🤬😷😤😞😢

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

This is an interesting case where your wife could be like, "You're losing a nurse/employee either way.  The one who brought - with intent - COVID into a medical establishment, or the person who got infected by the callousness of that person.  I need a big raise anyway, and these 20 places are hiring..."

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Now every normal experience is being micro-analyzed in my mind. Slight scratchy throat? From yelling at the football game, or Covid?  I slept poorly with cats crawling on me on the couch last night. Slight headache, sleep deprivation, or Covid? This sucks.

Yup!  That has been a problem for me all through this nightmare. I’ve had allergies several times so got tested several times to make sure that was all it was. Daughter #2 takes after me and has also been very careful taking multiple tests. 

44 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

So reduction of need for ER or hospital admissions from 9% to 3% of cases. Although I assume this data is from unvaccinated patients. Will seek what the benefits are for a previously vaccinated group.

• Heart 1

Looks like the monoclonal antibodies are recommended, when available, even for breakthrough infections, shortening illness duration by 4 days. 

Tennessee is going the route of NOT giving them to vaccinated people,  due to shortages, figuring the unvaccinated are at higher risk of disease progression.  Fortunately, we don’t have such scarcities.

18 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I just sneezed. :frantics:

Not a COVID symptom!!!

21 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My wife’s position is the only one of it’s type in the city given the specialization of their work. She could chose to do something else, but it would be a major change if she did.

That's big. So is a "non-supportive" boss, though. :( And dangerous co-workers.  Sometimes a shake-up is good, and, as a person with a long memory, I'd have a hard time dealing with that co-worker ever again and feeling that my company gave even an iota about my well-being. Sure, businesses don't really care about employees (over other priorities), but that's just a huge slap in the face when the are explicit about it.

22 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Tennessee is going the route of NOT giving them to vaccinated people,  due to shortages, figuring the unvaccinated are at higher risk of disease progression.

I am not sure how I feel about that.  On one hand, the antibodies seem best suited to folks that actually give a shit about taking care of themselves enough to get vaccinated and would best help them be in and out of the health care system.  Actually, there is no other hand, if you don't care enough about your health or of the health of others around you, you should be down the line in priority.   Once fully stocked, then the unvaccinated can get theirs.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

That's big. So is a "non-supportive" boss, though. :( And dangerous co-workers.  Sometimes a shake-up is good, and, as a person with a long memory, I'd have a hard time dealing with that co-worker ever again and feeling that my company gave even an iota about my well-being. Sure, businesses don't really care about employees (over other priorities), but that's just a huge slap in the face when the are explicit about it.

This, 100%.  I hate to be so black and white on this, but there is no excuse, other than certain situations of certain health issues that would arise with certainty from getting the shot, not to get it.  If you just don't know or are too stupid to get a second opinion on whether or not you can get vaccinated, then you are the problem.  There really is no room otherwise for stupid viewpoints like that.

I would have a problem ever seeing that woman again, who so cavalierly put all her coworkers in danger of getting covid until at least one did.  Fired and beaten on the way out is what I would hope society would approve of, but I know that isn't going to happen.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

This, 100%.  I hate to be so black and white on this, but there is no excuse, other than certain situations of certain health issues that would arise with certainty from getting the shot, not to get it.  If you just don't know or are too stupid to get a second opinion on whether or not you can get vaccinated, then you are the problem.  There really is no room otherwise for stupid viewpoints like that.

I would have a problem ever seeing that woman again, who so cavalierly put all her coworkers in danger of getting covid until at least one did.  Fired and beaten on the way out is what I would hope society would approve of, but I know that isn't going to happen.

Yeah - but making PZ's wife do the heavy lifting on the issue is unfair to her, and sort of why those folks get away with it. HR and the company should have immediately reviewed, and come to a fair compensation and/or punishment for all involved.  Going to work should NOT be an AVOIDABLE life threatening situation.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I am not sure how I feel about that.

I’m a smidge more on the compassionate side and think it should be a clinical decision based on symptoms at the time of presentation, but I absolutely think having been vaccinated shouldn’t exclude you from other treatments that could still be beneficial to you. Fortunately, it’s looking that my wife’s condition is improving fairly quickly and she’s not planning on getting the antibodies, but if she was as sick today as she was all weekend, I’d absolutely want them to be available for her. The logic behind the TN decision doesn’t hold for me, if vaccinated person V is sicker than 3 non-vaccinated people, ABSOLUTELY person V should get monoclonal antibodies.

As an aside, if you’re eligible for a booster, please get it. It’s made the difference from my wife being pretty sick and me being completely well. I took a Covid test today, I’d like to go back to work. Avoiding her in the house is difficult while working at home!

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m a smidge more on the compassionate side and think it should be a clinical decision based on symptoms at the time of presentation, but I absolutely think having been vaccinated shouldn’t exclude you from other treatments that could still be beneficial to you. Fortunately, it’s looking that my wife’s condition is improving fairly quickly and she’s not planning on getting the antibodies, but if she was as sick today as she was all weekend, I’d absolutely want them to be available for her. The logic behind the TN decision doesn’t hold for me, if vaccinated person V is sicker than 3 non-vaccinated people, ABSOLUTELY person V should get monoclonal antibodies.

As an aside, if you’re eligible for a booster, please get it. It’s made the difference from my wife being pretty sick and me being completely well. I got my booster at the start of the month, she wasn’t eligible yet. I took a Covid test today, I’d like to go back to work. Avoiding her in the house is difficult while working at home!

Whoops, didn’t mean to quote myself, just wanted to add the highlighted part for clarity.

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

So is a "non-supportive" boss, though.

My wife loves her boss, and her boss shares similar views as us on vaccinations and responsibilities. But there are multiple chains of command, the person who was sick doesn’t report to that boss, she reports elsewhere.  So it’s complicated, on a personal level. On a system level, it’s much easier to say yes, their policy decisions failed.

• Thank You 1