Can you still afford to bring home the bacon?

Wilbur

49 minutes ago, Wilburger said:

There is no way we are going to be less that double digit inflation.  

I bought 1 pound of bacon today.  $16.00.  3 months ago I thought $9.00 was outrageous.  

Gas in some Cali cities over $7.00 per gallon?  Yikes!

Really.  I don't buy bacon but yes, even Alberta (local) beef is more expensive compared to 6 months ago. I only eat meat 2-3 times/month.

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Just don't go blaming the producers. Too bad they don't see more of the profit.

Better to blame...uh...the workers? The unions? The scientists!!! Yeah, that will work! 

Of course, the Dow & S&P are both up 33% in a year and Nasdaq close to 50%, so inflation sort of pales in comparison.  If I skip the gas and the bacon and stick to all the $$$ piling upp in my accounts, it's like, possibly, the greatest financial run in human history.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Better to blame...uh...the workers? The unions? The scientists!!! Yeah, that will work! 

Of course, the Dow & S&P are both up 33% in a year and Nasdaq close to 50%, so inflation sort of pales in comparison.  If I skip the gas and the bacon and stick to all the $$$ piling upp in my accounts, it's like, possibly, the greatest financial run in human history.

You do realize, I was just referring to bacon, and other agriculture products. Of course you did, but you just took the opportunity to rant as usual. Maybe you need a nap.

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Further said:

I don't buy a lot of bacon or gasoline, but inflation has me scared. I'm pushing back my retirement for at least a year to see what happens. 

SS issued a 5.9% COLA raise beginning in January.  First Medicare went up and then inflation rendered this raise "gone in 60 seconds".

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Which CA cities??!  Yes gas is up but I paid $4.15 a gallon today. It has been around $4.00 a gallon for several months. $7 sounds like an outlier, not the norm by any means. 

Gorda was the highest but all down the Big Sur coast  according to a Times article I read.  Demand is out stripping supply. 

1 hour ago, Wilburger said:

Gorda was the highest but all down the Big Sur coast  according to a Times article I read.  Demand is out stripping supply. 

OK that makes sense.  An isolated stretch of highway so if you need gas in that area you don’t have many options and it’s a ways to a larger city.  They can gouge you.

Most of us in Cali are paying around $4.25 a gallon. 

12 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

You do realize, I was just referring to bacon, and other agriculture products. Of course you did, but you just took the opportunity to rant as usual. Maybe you need a nap.

I agree. But the OP was 1) inflation, 2) bacon, and 3) gasoline.

IOW, we're seeing 20, 30, or even 50%(!!!!) increases in investment accounts.  To complain about inflation and food & fuel costs is sort of focusing on the negative and ignoring the positive.  Again, just trying to level out the outrage or fear that the end is near, and bacon is gonna be too expensive for folks. Or gas is gonna be too expensive for folks to drive. Or inflation will be so rampant it wipes out folks savings.

The world isn't all rosey or all doom & gloom.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I agree. But the OP was 1) inflation, 2) bacon, and 3) gasoline.

IOW, we're seeing 20, 30, or even 50%(!!!!) increases in investment accounts.  To complain about inflation and food & fuel costs is sort of focusing on the negative and ignoring the positive.  Again, just trying to level out the outrage or fear that the end is near, and bacon is gonna be too expensive for folks. Or gas is gonna be too expensive for folks to drive. Or inflation will be so rampant it wipes out folks savings.

The world isn't all rosey or all doom & gloom.

The vast majority of people that inflation has a big impact on are not the ones who have investment savings.  Lower income folks really get hit hard.  Inflation is way outpacing salary growth. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Wilburger said:

The vast majority of people that inflation has a big impact on are not the ones who have investment savings.  Lower income folks really get hit hard.  Inflation is way outpacing salary growth. 

I get that for sure.  But that's a big challenge - income disparity and the wealth gap and an assortment of other inequality issues.  Inflation due to the crazy supply chain bottlenecks, labor shortages, and likely pent-up spending will hopefully be a short term jump on the long term timeline.  If we know anything about the past few years, they are anything but "normal", so the impact can be real, but will it be prolonged or temporary?

But, yes, the poorest and most marginalized are ALWAYS the hardest hit by anything bad, and the least rewarded by anything good.  And so the world turns :(

34 minutes ago, Wilburger said:

WtAF! @Wilburger with a Progressive talking point. The Universe is kind, today. :loveshower:

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

13 hours ago, Wilburger said:

Probably because crossing the 49th drives prices up significantly.  Gotta pay for that free medicare. :) 

This may be true and I've never complained paying my taxes to include this. The cancers in my family, etc. have proven personally to me how critical it is we don't have a health care system that stresses people into financial bankruptcy, illogical bills/wrangling with private insurers too often.

13 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Shootingstar, why sad? 3 pounds for $14.50 is pretty dang good.

I guess I don't buy bacon here in Canada or anywhere for home.

Sheepherder, absolutely true the producers don't get paid as much as those further into the supply/processing side. I saw the invoices dearie's son's store dealt with the small farmers ... the price rose alot by the time was cut and displayed in butcher shop. 

Fresh produce prices are noticeably more in the winter.  But it happens every winter wherever one lives with several months of snow.  Admittedly food/groceries, is one area I've never worried much about cost, partially because  don't buy much meat since I've lost some interest in eating much meat over the past 20 yrs., hardly buy processed food..and probably I can/do cook in stripped down recipes occasionally (because sometimes I'm just lazy), and it still tastes fine, nutritious.  

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

WtAF! @Wilburger with a Progressive talking point. The Universe is kind, today. :loveshower:

Being a fiscal conservative doesn't mean you don't recognize the plight of the common man.  :) 

Admittedly, I am closest fit to a Libertarian  than anything else but as a Canadian, we all start out as Classic Liberals.