Help me choose a gun

Chris...

There are two things that I really like for home defense. 

12 ga, Remington 870 Express shotgun and a .357 Magnum revolver. 

Here is my reasoning....

12 gauge is easy-peasy.  Point and squeeze.  You don't even really have to aim all that much.  And when you chamber a round that is one sound that will easily empty the bowels of any would-be attackers. 

The revolver is simple.  Once it's loaded you just point, aim and squeeze.  There is no magazine to load, no slide to operate and no safety.  You just point the barrel at the attacker and squeeze the trigger. 

Another important thing about revolvers is that they keep the brass.   You don't have worry about policing up your brass.  And if you get a drop gun even better.

Personally I would go with this:

taurus-1-tau_2_441039t.jpg

Taurus Judge 45LC/410ga

For all the reasons listed prior. It shoots a 410ga shotgun shell. Meaning the capability of heavy takedown power, less accuracy needed to hit assailant, won't pass through walls, and a revolver.

A shotgun is great, a defense shotgun is better. BUT, in a home invasion time and control of the situation is everything. Shotguns are too long, even in home defense 18.5". If you don't keep a round chambered then the action of opening breach and chambering round is precious seconds lost, even with a pump action. Then If you wife or daughter or teenage son is at home and someone breaks in, the shotgun is long and unwieldy in tight spaces, easier for an assailant to grab the barrel and leverage the firearm from them. Now the home invader is armed.

The Judge allows for simplistic point-n-shoot tactics. Also for the assailant to get firearm from them would mean being a whole lot closer. 

When I had my store I sold a butt load of these things for that purpose. I have a gun safe full of funsies but the one I keep in easy reach for me or my wife is the judge. She only needs to pull the trigger in the general direction. My house is a little large and at worst she has to try and hit something from 20ft away. Average 410 spread on the judge is around a 9" ring at 9ft. Meaning you can't miss.

Taurus Judge 45LC/410ga

For all the reasons listed prior. It shoots a 410ga shotgun shell. Meaning the capability of heavy takedown power, less accuracy needed to hit assailant, won't pass through walls, and a revolver.

A shotgun is great, a defense shotgun is better. BUT, in a home invasion time and control of the situation is everything. Shotguns are too long, even in home defense 18.5". If you don't keep a round chambered then the action of opening breach and chambering round is precious seconds lost, even with a pump action. Then If you wife or daughter or teenage son is at home and someone breaks in, the shotgun is long and unwieldy in tight spaces, easier for an assailant to grab the barrel and leverage the firearm from them. Now the home invader is armed.

The Judge allows for simplistic point-n-shoot tactics. Also for the assailant to get firearm from them would mean being a whole lot closer. 

When I had my store I sold a butt load of these things for that purpose. I have a gun safe full of funsies but the one I keep in easy reach for me or my wife is the judge. She only needs to pull the trigger in the general direction. My house is a little large and at worst she has to try and hit something from 20ft away. Average 410 spread on the judge is around a 9" ring at 9ft. Meaning you can't miss.

The Judge or the Governor is on my short list of handguns I would like to own next.  I want that and I also want a double barrel shotgun with interchangeable chokes that I can shoot clays/skeet with.  My 870 sucks at shooting clay birds.

Travis had good points on the revolver vs the semi auto.  For home defense, ease of carry, etc, you might even consider a hammerless design 

http://www.guns.com/review/2012/10/15/five-hammerless-revolvers/

As for the shot gun, just the sound of the gun being pumped would stop many in their tracks.  My cousin had a gun that was basically just the slide and a grip, so that it was easy to access and pump.  It would not shoot, but it sounded like someone has just chambered a round.

If I really wanted a shotgun for home defense ONLY, the 870 tactical would be high on the list.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-pistol-grip.aspx

If I was going to use it for more than home defense I would skip the tactical model and go for the 870 Express or Wingmaster.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express.aspx

Taurus Judge 45LC/410ga

I just re-read what you wrote on the Judge and it is spot on. 

I think that the highlights are: no over penetration if you shoot .410.  Easy to use (point and shoot).  Keeps your brass.  Hard for attacker to get a hold of.

I think that this is your answer here boys and girls.

The times are a changing. Time for a home defense type solution

First off.... I didn't think Brits could have guns

Second... why not just coat your lawn in legos? they is a mighty deterrent for anyone that has stepped on them in the dark! 

• Heart 1

I wonder if a non citizen can legally own a gun?
A lot of the stuff I've been reading on the internet suggests upgrading your doors for better security.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees/ffl-tip-sheet-for-non-u.s.-citizens-purchasing-firearms-1

De Nada,  This may help make that pistol a bit better.

I use the Winchester PDX1 home defense rounds.

I agree that standard 410 rounds are not ideal, in load/velocity/penetration. For that you need a specialty load.

With the PDX1 you have a round that still is a one shot stop type of round.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/New-Products/Pages/pdx1-410.aspx

I like the idea of a gun to shoot for practice at the range without costing an arm and a leg in ammo. Maybe this M&P 22 Compact.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_833059_-1_773655_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

If you want a target pistol there are infinitly better options.

S&W 22A will be more accurate, easier to maintain/learn, and IMHO more fun to shoot and usually pick them up on sale for half that price.

107412_01_lg.jpg

A Ruger MarkIII 22/45 is also a beast, easy to maintain/learn/shoot and been around for forever.

DSC09988.JPG

My Target piece is a Walther SP22 M3 fun, fun, fun plinker.Devilishly accurate. Looks cool too  ;)

Walther+SP22+M3+Target+Rimfire+Pistol.jp

• Heart 1

I personally like my 9mm S&W... nice and light weight, but the best defense I have for my home is my bow.. quiet enough to shoot and no one will hear it... since home defense is considered "Within the home", I have the thing sighted at 10 yards... 

Whats even better is even tough a gun needs put up from my kids, my bow can be kept anywhere.. too hard for the little ones to pull the string back. 

I personally like my 9mm S&W... nice and light weight, but the best defense I have for my home is my bow.. quiet enough to shoot and no one will hear it... since home defense is considered "Within the home", I have the thing sighted at 10 yards... 

Whats even better is even tough a gun needs put up from my kids, my bow can be kept anywhere.. too hard for the little ones to pull the string back. 

So my moat, filled with crocs and mocs and the 20yd deep circle of land mines wouldn't count as home defense?