Are you stoner / pothead?

Square Wheels

I just learned there are THC products in my house.  We were over to a friend's house last night for dinner (I was the only one with a mask).  They had lots of gummies.

I rarely take prescribed meds.

I don't drink much.

I have never tried any illegal drugs - ever.

The wife suggests trying it for depression.  I'm leaning toward no.

• Heart 1

Not in a long time.  I was in the service at a time when drug testing wasn't a constant thing but when I became involved in hot cars I decided that being hung over or stoned wasn't berry good for my reflexes.

Note to others.............it does not make you a better driver.  It just clouds your ability to tell how bad you really are.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Keep in mind that in some cases THC can bring out  mental illness. Not sure how common it is, but It happened to Kurt Vonnegut’s son. I also had a friend who was institutionalized after heavy marijuana use. Really hurt his life. 

Did Vonnegut’s son develop schizophrenia? It’s heavy use is clearly linked with development of psychosis *in susceptible individuals*.  But people with mental illness also abuse drugs more than the general public.  That’s also true in depression. And there’s a big continuum between occasional use and heavy use.

Yes I use, and mostly the edibles. IT is not for the high (granted at times it is nice) but more for relaxation and keeping myself more focused. 
If you are unaware of the strength or the strain it is from, I would use caution.. do no more then 10mg for the first time.. that's typically 1/2 a gummy. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Are you stoner / pothead?

No.  But I did try it in college.

I do drink beer and wine.  I did drink a LOT more beer when I was young.   I blame that on going to college in Wisconsin.

I don't take any prescription meds.   

Even when I was recovering from pancreatitis and then from having my gallbladder removed, I only took a few (many 3) of the pain pills.   My doc, asked me if I took all of the pain pills and did I need more?  I told him, 'No, just about all of them are still in the bottle.'   He had a 'strange' sense of humor... then he tells me, "You can go to any high school and sell the pills for $20 each."  :wacko:   Yeah he was joking... but who says that to a patient???

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I have never tried any illegal drugs - ever.

I was at a lakefront concept in college, in Milwaukee, and a guy walks up to us and asks;  "Do you want to buy some LSD?"   I tell him no.   The guy I was with then tells me...  "Good choice, they have some bad LSD here."  

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Did Vonnegut’s son develop schizophrenia? It’s heavy use is clearly linked with development of psychosis *in susceptible individuals*.  But people with mental illness also abuse drugs more than the general public.  That’s also true in depression. And there’s a big continuum between occasional use and heavy use.

Just read an article about Mark Vonnegut. His episodes were described as psychotic breaks. First two as a college age kid on a BC commune. He attributed the first to Mescaline and the second to marijuana. He had two more very severe episodes later in life. In another article he describes his condition as bipolar. Chicken and egg thing with substance abuse. Hard to tell which causes which. 

• Heart 1

Just out of high school, I had some friends who would smoke it. I never did, but I’m sure I got a couple contact highs. 
I drink at a level that is considered medically acceptable. 
My brother lives in CO. He was opposed to the legalization but found a little edible once in a while helps his anxiety 

• Heart 1

I know people who use it for depression, they say it works for that and ptsd.  I will use edibles to help sleep when I am stressed off my ass, that works for sure and certain.  

In addition, cbd oil (the component that doesn’t get you high at all) taken internally works for sharp pain.  It doesn’t make the pain disappear, but cranks it down from 11 to about a 4, depending on a few factors.  

I would say at least half of all people using it will use it for purposes other than recreation.  

I would take 5mg dose to start, and I think it is worth trying.  It may not be for you, but it works for lots of people. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I think it is worth trying.

Based simply on the name of the thread, I think it’s highly improbable that he’s going to try it. It would be like someone starting a thread entitled “Are you an alcoholic/Zima addict” and thinking they plan on trying any of the drinks recommended. I don’t see it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Doctors and pharmacists here in Canada don't prescribe/recommend it..even now with legalization across  Canada. The CAnadian Medical Association has stayed clearly from publicly issuing a position statement on acceptable prescription  to patients. The combinations in some products are unknown in health effects or just plain marketing ploy.

Please read these articles published this wk.  There is insufficient research. (Of course, there have been several CAnadian incidents over past 2 years of children getting sick from the gummies and they ended up in hospital.)

Illegal, untested CBD products are everywhere and could be putting you at risk | CBC News

'You must be very careful': Common questions about CBD health claims for pain and other conditions answered | CBC News

I would occasionally smoke marijuana when I was in college at parties and a joint was passed around, but I did NOT like getting intoxicated so quickly. I preferred beer or wine where I could work my way toward the level of a buzz I wanted.

When I was heavily involved in local politics, I belonged to three major political clubs, was the Political Advisor at one and also a member of our county's Landfill Laws Commission.  So even though beer was free at club meetings where people would socialize afterward for a total of 3 hours, I would drink free soft drinks until the last hour of the meeting because I didn't want to look drunk in front of some major party members and elected officials.

Once in the early '80's, Maryland Governor Harry Hughes and his State Trooper limo driver were both so drunk at a meeting with about 200 people, that I was asked to back their limo out of the crowded club parking lot and onto the street. Harry staggered and almost fell as he tapped me on the shoulder thanking me. I helped him into the back seat. He had just signed a bill into law that drunk drivers lose their licenses!

• Sad 1

Pot is ok. It is not an antidepressant for me though. More anti stress. Or more accurately anti boredom. For example: when I had my darkroom running I would coat my own photo paper, and I had to wait for it to dry while stuck in  room under a dim red light for an hour or more. Can’t see to read, can’t watch videos because of the light. You can listen to music, but you are still sitting in a chair, in the dark, twiddling your thumbs. A joint would make that time less tedious. 

I was quite a bit more fond of it I’m my 20s. Nowadays I’ll burn one once every few months or so if offered. Last time was about two weeks ago when my friend Clayton and I paddled a few laps around the pond fly fishing. Time before that was Labor Day while tending the grill. 

I don’t drink. Never had a problem with it, I just never got past the taste. Wine gives me a splitting headache before I finish one glass. I’ve tried to like it, just can’t do it.
Beer is bitter. Avgas smells way better than liquor to me. I don’t want to drink that either.  

• Heart 1

1.  When you tried all the other stuff and it doesn’t work, but refuse try something that does work for a lot of folks, then you kind of just want to be depressed, or anxious, or in pain. 

2. You have had drugs, except someone else wrote it down on a piece of paper and told you to get the drugs and take them. 

3.  To Shootie’s point, many doctors don’t know enough or even want to know enough about something that is cheap, effective for many, non-addictive, easily grown and processed, and can completely bypass them and their whole professional field in many situations.

4.  Many old-fashioned dunderheads are so hung up on “taking drugs” as a concept, yet will happily try drug after prescribed drug that are expensive, may be marginally effective or completely ineffective, cause drowsiness, may be addictive, or make you more depressed or anxious.   

To sum up, you can try it and see if it helps.  If it doesn’t help, then you know and can keep trying the random stuff that hasn’t worked before. 

You can be a useful idiot for the “anti drug” crowd, or medical folks that like to keep things as they are for monetary purposes, or you can go ahead and just be normal and give it a no-lose shot. 

There are many folks here who have led you to water, it is up to you otherwise. 

I can't preach as I drink beer and wine and sometimes fruity drinks (on vacation only!), so getting high is pretty much the same to me. However, no effing chance EVER I will smoke anything - cigarettes or joints or anything else.

Edibles, though, will come into the picture at some point, I imagine. VA has started to relax their rules, so we'll see what comes of it.  I have no need for "medical" marijuana, but if it trickles down to recreational edibles around here? Sure, I'll give em a whirl. I guess, though, I've resisted it when we've been in places like CO or visiting my brother (who loves pot) when folks offer us edibles, so time will tell.

I dabbled a long time ago.  Gave up when I realized it wasn't worth the potential damage.   I think it's awesome as a pharmaceutical, I think legalizing a pharmaceutical is opening a Pandora's box.

As a pharmaceutical, probably not a good idea to self medicate, especially for depression.  Ask a Doctor. 

Or the gang here, we're great on MiL and T-shirt advice, how big a stretch could this be?  :cheerleader:

1 minute ago, 12string said:

I dabbled a long time ago.  Gave up when I realized it wasn't worth the potential damage.   I think it's awesome as a pharmaceutical, I think legalizing a pharmaceutical is opening a Pandora's box.

As a pharmaceutical, probably not a good idea to self medicate, especially for depression.  Ask a Doctor. 

Or the gang here, we're great on MiL and T-shirt advice, how big a stretch could this be?  :cheerleader:

I could take a gummie or two and give the t shirt design a shot.  Not gonna take a shot at the MIL....  At least not without seeing some pics.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 12string said:

I think it's awesome as a pharmaceutical, I think legalizing a pharmaceutical is opening a Pandora's box.

And I have the opposition opinion, I think the pursuit of medical indications was a work-around towards the ultimate real goal of MANY of legal recreational use. Yes, there are uses for medical patients. Glaucoma, pain, nausea, etc. And some more controversial claims with less science. But as a society that allows alcohol and tobacco to be used freely, THC fits in comfortably.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And I have the opposition opinion, I think the pursuit of medical indications was a work-around towards the ultimate real goal of MANY of legal recreational use. Yes, there are uses for medical patients. Glaucoma, pain, nausea, etc. And some more controversial claims with less science. But as a society that allows alcohol and tobacco to be used freely, THC fits in comfortably.

Drugs are bad, m'kay?

• Heart 1

The thing I see that is so funny, are the self medicating people I've known.

Gina's sister is one and has been smoking doobies since she was about 13, not 55 (?). She smoked so much that she burned a hole through her front tooth trying to say it was from eating too many lemons. :D Then she posted all over facebook what a miracle drug it is for her Arthritis, and a few other issues. She smoked so much she burned a hole through her tooth but yet still has every medical issue she named a few years ago, and more. Yeah, it's a miracle drug. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Drugs are bad, m'kay?

That’s pretty amazing. And to be clear, I’m not discounting it’s use as a medicine. I probably came off a bit to negative in my comment above.  I just think that some of the claims have not been substantiated. At least not yet, or not entirely. I do sometimes wonder though what percentage of people who have a medical card have such a significant condition, and how many just appreciate medical strains of pot legally purchased?

17 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

as a society that allows alcohol and tobacco to be used freely, THC fits in comfortably.

Interesting perspective.

Tobacco showed us why we should do more research before just making something legal.  Although, it was around WAY before the research could be done, there was a lesson there

Alcohol showed us that once you make something legal, good luck making it putting the cat back in the bag.

Tobacco does not have medicinal or any other health benefits, on the contrary, any use damages the body 

Alcohol, in moderate doses, actually provides health benefits, but overuse is damaging to the body.  Any use above moderate use also causes mental impairment.

Marijuana, in moderate doses, used for specific ailment, provides health benefits.  Any use, moderate or overuse, causes damage to the body and impairment.

I'm not going to hold pot use against anyone, go for it.  I wouldn't even rule out another toke someday. But I think it should have been left as a misdemeanor, as a means to somewhat limit t's use, rather than pretend it's all good, man

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I do sometimes wonder though what percentage of people who have a medical card have such a significant condition

And are taking the right dose of the right chemical variety, or chemovar, for their condition under supervision. 
https://www.healthline.com/health/sativa-vs-indica

I’d also like to see the recreational industry tone down the campy references. Calling the place BudHut because it’s in a former PizzaHut building, or Cannaco located in an old gas station. 
Lots of dispensaries calling themselves Wellness Centers. Ok. But I have to sign in with my drivers license number, unlike the wellness center that offers weight rooms, a juice bar, massage and sauna. 

I know some people with a medical card who get products. I think it's pretty scary that they have chocolate bars in the fridge with a 4 year old child running around the house.  They say she know better than to mess with the candy bars. What child has never mistaken something bad for a candy bar, especially........a candy bar.

IMO, being lazy and stupid isn't justification for a medical card.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

it should have been left as a misdemeanor, as a means to somewhat limit t's use, rather than pretend it's all good, man

Hmm, that is problematic from a couple of angles. 

First, there is zero respect for the law in regards to its use.  War on pot?  Completely lost, it is a joke.  Any kid for the last 50 years can pretty much get it on demand.  Having it illegal means you really don't know what you are getting, how much THC or CBD is in there in terms of percentages or milligrams if in edible form, or if there is anything else in there that may be harmful.  Anyway, if you want to have respect for the law, have laws worth respecting, and no one respects pot as being criminal to use.   

Secondly, do you really want to have people who use pot have criminal charges?  That means a criminal record and little career potential, which means little to high school kids or college students or very young adults who still don't have any appreciation of consequences for getting caught, unrespected laws or not.  Some will get caught and now society is on the hook for room and board if jailed and social services they will inevitably need in much greater percentages than those not having a criminal record.  Plus, it will give asshole cops reasons to roust people for no reason and lie and say "He smelled like pot and was aggressive, we had probable cause", that kind of bullshit.

There is no effective means to limit its use.  Many methods been tried and found completely lacking, as all will be for it.

1 hour ago, Mr Beanz said:

The thing I see that is so funny, are the self medicating people I've known.

Gina's sister is one and has been smoking doobies since she was about 13, not 55 (?). She smoked so much that she burned a hole through her front tooth trying to say it was from eating too many lemons. :D Then she posted all over facebook what a miracle drug it is for her Arthritis, and a few other issues. She smoked so much she burned a hole through her tooth but yet still has every medical issue she named a few years ago, and more. Yeah, it's a miracle drug. :lol:

It sure sounds like you have a preexisting negative opinion and are not open to new perspectives or evidence.  Everybody knows self medicaters, and if they didn't self medicate on pot, it would be other substances, alcohol, pills coke, you name it.  I know multiple people that self medicate (there are tons of crazy people here), and the more messed up they are, the more of anything they use. 

The vast majority of marijuana users aren't like that sister, what kind of idiot burns a hole in their tooth?  Sounds like meth (most likely) or crack or some other stupid shit that stupid people do, and she is putting it down to lemons for people she talks to in order to sound more rational, at least that is my suspicion.  No hardcore cigarette smokers burn holes in their teeth, and they smoke way more often than any hardcore pothead I have ever seen.   

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I probably came off a bit to negative in my comment above.

Not really, people do seem to be overstating lots of stuff, as people will do.  I don't think anyone is saying that there are no health consequences to pot use, but I would say that they are far less serious than heavy alcohol use, and certainly far less serious than habitual painkiller use or antianxiety drug use.  That something is legalized doesn't mean it is perfect, it just means it is better than alternatives that have been tried and currently exist.  

As far as it being a wonder drug?  I don't know about that, either.  It seems to be a wonder drug to some, and some don't experience the benefits to the same degree.  I do know that when I have been sleeping poorly (which is often), I will fall asleep super easily and then wake up maybe at one or two in the morning and not be able to get back to sleep at all and drag ass the entire next day.  If I take a 10mg indica edible at 9pm, then I get progressively buzzier and sleepier and I fall asleep at 10 or 10:30 and sleep through the night much more readily.  The whole point is not about getting high, the whole point is have a much, much better day the next day because I am rested.  In that sense, it works better with fewer side effects than other prescribed medications I have tried.

Anyway, probably half of the folks with medical cards just want a reliable supply of pot at reasonable prices.  People like to get buzzed, and they are gonna do it legally or illegally if they aren't doing it for legitimate medical reasons.  I hate smoke, so I don't do that.  Already prepared edibles in reasonable and known dosages are way better than smoking in my opinion, and should be available on demand whether you want it medically or recreationally. 

I really can't see a downside to legalization, and have seen no reason stated against pot legalization that makes logical or intuitive sense.  

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

I’d also like to see the recreational industry tone down the campy references. Calling the place BudHut because it’s in a former PizzaHut building, or Cannaco located in an old gas station. 
Lots of dispensaries calling themselves Wellness Centers. Ok. But I have to sign in with my drivers license number, unlike the wellness center that offers weight rooms, a juice bar, massage and sauna. 

Yeah, the names are ridiculous, and having Snoopdog or whoever promoting it is pretty tawdry from my perspective.  Having neon pot leaves on business signs seem unsightly as well.  Many dispensaries in Colorado in decent areas had innocuous sounding names, and they seemed low-brow in crappy areas.  The businesses should be there, but someone not familiar shouldn't be able to decipher what kind of business it is if they were just passing by, if I had my way.

39 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It sure sounds like you have a preexisting negative opinion and are not open to new perspectives or evidence.  Everybody knows self medicaters, and if they didn't self medicate on pot, it would be other substances, alcohol, pills coke, you name it. 

I guess you are right there with me. Self medicators, they would be on other substances, exactly. Seems like we share the same negative opinion. 

As far as real honest to goodness patients, yes I think weed has its benefits. Real life suffering, I am not against the use of marijuana as an aid in whatever, pain relief, any kind of suffering. 

But self medicaters for recreation and just bad habits, yeah, I have a negative opinion of them. I have never seen a self medicating person (that I know, and I know a lot) who hasn't messed up his family or marriage in various aspects of a marriage.