I may no longer fill out reports

Allen

25 minutes ago, Allen said:

Boss can’t read my handwriting. I have excellent penmanship. He just can’t read cursive. The reports have to be handwritten because they come that way. 

I lost some respect for him today. 

You mean he might hire someone else????  I'm intrigued he can't read cursive. Is he much younger than you or?

• Sad 1

My handwriting deteriorated starting in senior year in High school. Computers weren't around..and for my undergrad English lit. courses at university for tests, there were essay questions. More than 1 prof. told me I could have gotten abit higher grade if I wrote more neatly.

So Allen has neat handwriting.

This is not good if  you can't fill out reports.

• Confused 1

Having filled out a ton of non conformance reports, first articles etc as an aerospace/ defense quality control inspector, I have always filled out reports in print form. As far back as 1980 when I first got into the defense industry, we've always had to print and use military time. 

It was always following correct procedure for government defense contracts.

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I use a dictionary

I've got one of those somewhere....

I remember typing reports on a typewriter in college back in the 70s.  I had my dictionary and a good erasure.  I just hated typing reports.  I'd almost be finished with a page, and I totally mess something up and have to retype the page.  

When my daughter was in school (late 80s) and typed papers / reports were required,  I purchased a electric typewriter that could be connected to our Apple 2E computer.  Apple Works was the word processing program she used.   Drafts of the work were printed on the dot matrix printer.  The final draft was printed on the typewriter.   Even WoBG, who was nearly a perfect typist, loved how the printing to a typewriter was so easy to do.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

The reports have to be handwritten because they come that way. 

Is there a way to create a template in Word or Excel (or some application) and you can print your report to a laser printer on the form?   

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Is there a way to create a template in Word or Excel (or some application) and you can print your report to a laser printer on the form? 

There is not. They are field reports. We are gloved up so touch screens don’t work, and pencils are cheaper than laptops. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Allen said:

Fully admit my spelling is just sad. 

No, your spelling is fine.  The meaning of what you wrote came across very clearly.

Yu are righting feeld reports in the bizness wurld to cunvey infurmation, not turm paypers for kollege to git a grayed.  Beesides, yur boss didnt cumplane abowt yur speling, he cumplaned abowt yur righting.

So, your boss doesn't like cursive?  Well, you know he's not going to make an effort to learn it so that means you have to find another way for him to get the information.

I would suggest approaching your boss and offering the option of your hand printing all the field reports.  It's a practical solution and he'll likely agree.

Once he does, though, also get him to agree to grant you relief on the productivity of writing up the reports because printing takes longer than cursive writing.  That's important, because he can't expect the same productivity if you have to print.

If he doesn't agree, remind him the productivity will be even lower if someone else has to write up your reports.

10 hours ago, Allen said:

Boss can’t read my handwriting. I have excellent penmanship. He just can’t read cursive. The reports have to be handwritten because they come that way. 

Block letters work well.  I gave up on "just" cursive and use a distinctive mix of chicken scratch - cursive, block, upper case, lower case, scribble, and a wee bit of Cyrillic.

• Awesome 1

Not filling out reports sounds like a plus!

My handwriting can be very nice, but if I'm tired or rushing it gets pretty bad quickly. My Mom was a grade school teacher and until the day she died every word she wrote looked just like those letter charts that used to hang in the classrooms.

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

No, your spelling is fine.  The meaning of what you wrote came across very clearly.

Maybe for Ben Franklin, who spelled “egg” three different ways. But for the rest of us accuracy matters. You work with electricity…there’s done accurately and there’s get the current from place to place. Which would you expect from your employees? Taking the time to spell with conventions of the language is a level of work worth doing, especially in this situation where the handwriting already poses a barrier to comprehension. 

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I could have been a doctor, my signature is that bad.

Mine too.  One time I got a call from my daughters teacher asking if my daughter was cleared to go on a field trip. Yeah of course, I signed the slip. Well we thought maybe it was forged…. What teenager forges a permission slip to go to a science center?  Oh good point Sir…

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

My mom was a secretary during WW2 she wrote in shorthand. Talk about something that is hard to read. It’s impossible to read if you don’t know shorthand. That is probably a dead skill now.

My mother got her degree in business from the University of Texas.  She could type like the wind and like your mother, could write in shorthand.  It was amazing to watch her do either.  She spent most of her career as either a typing teacher or as the executive assistant to various presidents of Medical City Dallas.   

I had horrible penmanship. I'm a lefty and nuns tried to get me to write right-handed for a couple of years. I bought a manual typewriter in high school and even took typing classes in the 1960s. Teachers appreciated it when I typed assignments. 

My job in the USAF required me to print everything so my printing was good.

I can read cursive but not write it. Even my signature is a mess.

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Maybe for Ben Franklin, who spelled “egg” three different ways. But for the rest of us accuracy matters. You work with electricity…there’s done accurately and there’s get the current from place to place. Which would you expect from your employees? Taking the time to spell with conventions of the language is a level of work worth doing, especially in this situation where the handwriting already poses a barrier to comprehension. 

I git infurmashun fum othr ingineers and elictrishuns with mispelings all the time. If I wur to call owt there misteaks then the infurmashun flow wood stop and my wurking relashunships with them wood suffur.  Its moor impourtent to git the raw furst hand infurmashun from the persun mayking the obsurvashuns then it is to go threw the accademmic exersize of korrekting there speling, not two menshun the imbarassmint the persun beeing korrekted must feal. I assoom they are dooing the best they kan, with what thayve lernd, and that thay may evin be struggeling with a disabilitee.

Because once I get their documents, then I can incorporate the information they've presented into my work, not their spelling.  I overlook spelling errors where the meaning is clear.  Where there's a question I clarify in a way that doesn't bring attention to the fact that they misspelled a word.

If you want to work in the business world and correct spelling in the documents other people send you, be my guest.  You will get a reputation of being an arrogant know-it-all with whom it is difficult to work, your productivity will be less than it could be, and people will not volunteer valuable information they might otherwise out of reluctance to subject themselves to such scrutiny.

And as far as I'm concerned regarding electricity, there is no 'get the current from place to place'.  Ever.  That approach damages equipment, gets people hurt, and gets people killed.

And when that happens, it doesn't matter one bit how good the spelling was.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I git infurmashun fum othr ingineers and elictrishuns with mispelings all the time. If I wur to call owt there misteaks then the infurmashun flow wood stop and my wurking relashunships with them wood suffur.  Its moor impourtent to git the raw furst hand infurmashun from the persun mayking the obsurvashuns then it is to go threw the accademmic exersize of korrekting there speling, not two menshun the imbarassmint the persun beeing korrekted must feal. I assoom they are dooing the best they kan, with what thayve lernd, and that thay may evin be struggeling with a disabilitee.

Because once I get their documents, then I can incorporate the information they've presented into my work, not their spelling.  I overlook spelling errors where the meaning is clear.  Where there's a question I clarify in a way that doesn't bring attention to the fact that they misspelled a word.

If you want to work in the business world and correct spelling in the documents other people send you, be my guest.  You will get a reputation of being an arrogant know-it-all with whom it is difficult to work, your productivity will be less than it could be, and people will not volunteer valuable information they might otherwise out of reluctance to subject themselves to such scrutiny.

And as far as I'm concerned regarding electricity, there is no 'get the current from place to place'.  Ever.  That approach damages equipment, gets people hurt, and gets people killed.

And when that happens, it doesn't matter one bit how good the spelling was.

Tell us again about that boat trip you took on that big river.

If you want to work in the business world and correct spelling in the documents other people send you, be my guest.

Because one casual instance in a social media forum of mentioning spelling must therefore be the rule… 

20 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

If you want to work in the business world and correct spelling in the documents other people send you, be my guest.

Because one casual instance in a social media forum of mentioning spelling must therefore be the rule… 

Like wearing a suit and tie to a job interview!!!!  Folks are purists or they are pragmatists!  I'm happy to be the latter, and not wear a damn suit and tie anywhere, and I just ignore the regular mistakes in various documents and correspondence I encounter.  Rarely will anyone die because of it, and there are plenty of other folks to blame ahead of me!

17 hours ago, Allen said:

Nothing that coming in on a few Saturdays couldn’t correct. Those TPS reports will be on point in no time. Including the cover sheets as referenced by @Philander Seabury:nodhead:

0F7C8308-03B4-4CFF-A5E5-10044BD42168.jpeg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

X

Looks good to me....

My kids were not taught cursive in school and so their signature is just a Scribble of their initials.  I honestly think people will resort back to a “mark” or symbol in the odd circumstance they need to sign something. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My kids were not taught cursive in school and so their signature is just a Scribble of their initials.  I honestly think people will resort back to a “mark” or symbol in the odd circumstance they need to sign something. 

My signature on the credit card readers that require a signature is usually just a smiley face.  No one seems to say anything.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Because one casual instance in a social media forum of mentioning spelling highlighting another person's misspelling is reminiscent of the Love Forum, where one member pointed out the spelling errors of others.  In fact this was mentioned here recently by a prominent and highly intelligent person who related the spell checking of his posts troubled him and took the enjoyment away from participating.

Because one casual instance in a social media forum of mentioning spelling highlighting another person's misspelling - and bringing it to the attention of the entire Forum - gives the appearance of a lack of sensitivity to the potential embarrassment and humiliation such attention could cause the person who made the mistake.  It may very well be that in this one instance that didn't happen.  And whether or not it happened in this case is irrelevant.  What is relevant is if it continues, as it did on the Love Forum, somebody at some point will be embarrassed and humiliated.

Which makes it difficult to see how spell checking anybody's posts makes a positive contribution.

Last word to MS.

Final word to SW and the moderators.

• Awesome 1

13 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Last word to MS.

We’ll, thank you for (hmmm…) spelling this out with such honesty. I didn’t realize this was a trigger issue. I apologize. I’m sorry I took too casually the potential humiliation and embarrassment, and I’m sorry for evoking a sad shadow from the Love Forum. 
I don’t spell check or otherwise proofread anyone’s posts. I know the chilling effect of heightened attention to conventions. I’m also sorry if I’ve given anyone the impression that I’m editing their posts or in any way holding them in lower esteem because of spelling. I’m not that person.

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

We’ll, thank you for (hmmm…) spelling this out with such honesty. I didn’t realize this was a trigger issue. I apologize. I’m sorry I took too casually the potential humiliation and embarrassment, and I’m sorry for evoking a sad shadow from the Love Forum. 
I don’t spell check or otherwise proofread anyone’s posts. I know the chilling effect of heightened attention to conventions. I’m also sorry if I’ve given anyone the impression that I’m editing their posts or in any way holding them in lower esteem because of spelling. I’m not that person.

For what it’s worth, I was not bothered at all. My spelling is atrocious. 

• Hugs 1