Just finished Sprinting Through No Man’s Land

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by Kzoo,

So carefully researched; I’m in awe. I’ve never been able to muster that kind of studious regard for primary sources of historical events, biography, maps, city plans, and in another language. I’m glad there are truly scholarly people with gifts in writing. Dobkin gave a lot to this book. 

About the subject: amazing feats of strength, bike skill, perseverance. The riders were literally cycling through war-torn towns and uninhabitable landscapes at times. Over 200 miles most stages. Fixing their own bikes when the fork cracked. 

I’m glad I know their story. I want wars to stop. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

So carefully researched; I’m in awe. I’ve never been able to muster that kind of studious regard for primary sources of historical events, biography, maps, city plans, and in another language. I’m glad there are truly scholarly people with gifts in writing. Dobkin gave a lot to this book. 

About the subject: amazing feats of strength, bike skill, perseverance. The riders were literally cycling through war-torn towns and uninhabitable landscapes at times. Over 200 miles most stages. Fixing their own bikes when the fork cracked. 

I’m glad I know their story. I want wars to stop. 

Through the course of history there have been many who wanted wars to stop.  Those who were too peaceful were rolled over by their more aggressive neighbors.  Human beings are like that.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Yeah - I'll pick it up again, eventually, but it reads a bit stilted to me and more like a research paper without the "flow" I really like from a story.  But I love that it was written, and hope it preserves some history for future generations.

• Solution

I've been looking for my next Audible book.  I have been spending time the last couple weeks listening to a bunch of podcasts, unable to focus on the next book.

I ordered this.  I'm looking forward to starting it on my commute home tonight.

11 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I've been looking for my next Audible book.  I have been spending time the last couple weeks listening to a bunch of podcasts, unable to focus on the next book.

I ordered this.  I'm looking forward to starting it on my commute home tonight.

A lot of punctured tires. And tubes were of a style that had to be sewn into the tire and then the whole thing cemented or taped onto the wheel. By the cyclists themselves; no outside support. But you probably already knew that. I also didn’t realize that their start times for each stage were in the middle of the night. So, they rode 200 mile stages along broken-down roadways, in pitch black night, through decimated towns, with two water bottles, and had to make their own repairs. It’s good story-telling. 

51 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

A lot of punctured tires. And tubes were of a style that had to be sewn into the tire and then the whole thing cemented or taped onto the wheel. By the cyclists themselves; no outside support. But you probably already knew that. I also didn’t realize that their start times for each stage were in the middle of the night. So, they rode 200 mile stages along broken-down roadways, in pitch black night, through decimated towns, with two water bottles, and had to make their own repairs. It’s good story-telling. 

You should - if you haven't - watch Phil Keoghan's Le Ride.  Fun stuff!