Should I read the book Dune?

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by maddmaxx,

Without reading the entire series? 
I picked up Dune in high school, but the copy was old with yellowing pages and tiny print. I wasn’t in the right headspace to read it. Maybe I will try again, but I hesitate to get involved in a six-part series. I got sucked into Churchill’s history series and feel like the opportunity cost was higher than necessary. But if the Dune series is good, I’ll consider it. And I want to see the movie at some point.

6 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Without reading the entire series? 
I picked up Dune in high school, but the copy was old with yellowing pages and tiny print. I wasn’t in the right headspace to read it. Maybe I will try again, but I hesitate to get involved in a six-part series. I got sucked into Churchill’s history series and feel like the opportunity cost was higher than necessary. But if the Dune series is good, I’ll consider it. And I want to see the movie at some point.

Just read it a month or so ago.  It's good stuff.  A little "tame" from a 2021 perspective, but certainly hold my attention.  And as a series, it seems worthwhile over time and not one after another (for me).  On the plus side, it's not like GoT, where the books aren't wrapping up anytime soon :( so the story arc can't be fully appreciated.

I read on a Kindle.

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yes.  I liked it.

Another of my read and then reread people is Heinlien.   I like his stuff.

I can't count how many times I've read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, but it's a lot.  Every 5 years or so. Short, easy read. Lots of his stuff was.  Old Man's War author explicitly calls out Heinlein for his inspiration.

I've been redoing Asimov lately with the Foundation series (despite their immediate divergence from the books).  Also easy and relatively short books. Dune books are a little longer, and a little "deeper".

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I can't count how many times I've read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, but it's a lot.  Every 5 years or so. Short, easy read. Lots of his stuff was.  Old Man's War author explicitly calls out Heinlein for his inspiration.

I've been redoing Asimov lately with the Foundation series (despite their immediate divergence from the books).  Also easy and relatively short books. Dune books are a little longer, and a little "deeper".

I also read Tolkien and and all of it, and Terry Brooks Shanara series

I am also a sucker for Hemingway.  The Sun Also Rises, For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Old Man and The Sea top my list there.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I also read Tolkien and and all of it, and Terry Brooks Shanara series

Yep - you can reread the Hobbit in an afternoon!  :D

Shannara I went probably three or four in - Sword, Elfstones, and the like. I think Sword of Shannara was the longest book I read at the time, and definitely was one I loved.  Cover art sold them to me, too!

I think there are lots of others that were popular for me back then - Brin, Niven, Eddings, and just sneaking in at the end, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (soon a TV series).

Too many to list, but sci-fi and fantasy were huge when I was a tween-teen, and into adulthood still.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - you can reread the Hobbit in an afternoon!  :D

Shannara I went probably three or four in - Sword, Elfstones, and the like. I think Sword of Shannara was the longest book I read at the time, and definitely was one I loved.  Cover art sold them to me, too!

I think there are lots of others that were popular for me back then - Brin, Niven, Eddings, and just sneaking in at the end, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (soon a TV series).

Too many to list, but sci-fi and fantasy were huge when I was a tween-teen, and into adulthood still.

Dragon Riders of Pern was good

Then I got into techno and warfare stuff.

Clancy, Dean Ing, Dale Brown, Harold Coyle to name a few.

Had an affiar with Dick Francis and Lee Childs and Daniel Silva and Michael Connelly.

Right now I am reading a lot of Brad Thor.

• Awesome 1

• Solution

Yes, read the book.  The newest movie version is consistent with both the book and the prior movies.  It is however only part of the whole first book.  The book continues where the movie leaves off.  I've read that filming hasn't even begun on a sequel to the just released movie version.  That means years before we get to see the next part of the story in modern film version.  I don't want to wait for years, but it is what it is.

I believe the book "Dune" is the first 3 parts of the 6 part series.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I haven't read it, but I understand that reading it is the only way to capture the essence of the story.  I might start in a week or two, depending.

Reading it as a 51 year old adult, none of it really seemed to hard to grasp or too weird.  It seems pretty straightforward sci-fi with religious savior overtones.

Just now, jsharr said:

I want to make an audio book which is just eight hours of me turning pages and breathing and at the end I say "I was supposed to read it out loud?"

The audience will get it after six seconds. So, make a Tik Tok and fulfill your artistic vision. 

So, I  started the graphic novel adapted by Brian Herbert, who is Frank Herbert’s son, on my Hoopla app. I think I want a paperback copy instead of a Kindle copy so I can make notes. I like the mysticism and the political intrigue. And I’m amazed at the continuing relevance of “spice” as a driver of human relationships to power. 

13 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

So, I  started the graphic novel adapted by Brian Herbert, who is Frank Herbert’s son, on my Hoopla app. I think I want a paperback copy instead of a Kindle copy so I can make notes. I like the mysticism and the political intrigue. And I’m amazed at the continuing relevance of “spice” as a driver of human relationships to power. 

Choosing the graphic novel over the actual book?  Might as well watch the movie and call it a day :)

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Choosing the graphic novel over the actual book?  Might as well watch the movie and call it a day :)

Starting with the graphic novel instead of the Kindle version. Then a paperback of the book I’m hoping to find at a used bookstore.