Halloween

Square Wheels

I love Halloween and yes, we hand out candy.  I even keep a cooler of beer handy for adults I like.  I remember a few years ago hearing " you should go to jsharr's house, he is giving out Red Stripes"  from the dark down the street....

I have taken my own beer when I have gone with friend's kids.  It is fun.

We hand out candy, and we've seen big swings in how many kids come by.  Usually we have lots left over but we have run out before.

The Halloween a few years ago, trick-or-treating in the snow, was pretty memorable for us central NJ folk.

My old boss who lives in my neighborhood talks about how he used to take his kids trick-or-treating with a shot glass, that he could get refilled at a few houses.

I used to enjoy Halloween, particularly some of the costumes of the little kids and their simple joy in the holiday.

Then we started getting 'kids' that looked like they were 17, 18, or 25 coming to the door and hollering 'Trick or Treat'.  Lots of them. Finally I started asking them "Say, we're running real low on the candy.  Do you guy mind if I save what I have left for the little kids?"  Believe it or not, some of them grumble about not getting any candy! :rolleyes:

This year we invited our neighbor, a recent widow, over to our house so she doesn't have to face the trick or treaters alone.  I'm think that once it starts to get dark, I'm going to put up a sign on the walk up to the house that says "Sorry, candy all gone!"  and stop answering the door.  That way we don't have to sit in the dark in our own house, and we can enjoy the visit with our neighbor.

And I'm going to put up another sign that tells everybody to get off my lawn too.  ;)

I used to enjoy Halloween, particularly some of the costumes of the little kids and their simple joy in the holiday.

Then we started getting 'kids' that looked like they were 17, 18, or 25 coming to the door and hollering 'Trick or Treat'.  Lots of them. Finally I started asking them "Say, we're running real low on the candy.  Do you guy mind if I save what I have left for the little kids?"  Believe it or not, some of them grumble about not getting any candy! :rolleyes:

This year we invited our neighbor, a recent widow, over to our house so she doesn't have to face the trick or treaters alone.  I'm think that once it starts to get dark, I'm going to put up a sign on the walk up to the house that says "Sorry, candy all gone!"  and stop answering the door.  That way we don't have to sit in the dark in our own house, and we can enjoy the visit with our neighbor.

And I'm going to put up another sign that tells everybody to get off my lawn too.  ;)

Why not put up a target too, so the kids have a place to throw the eggs and work on their throwing accuracy at the same time?

Do you hand out candy?

Do you leave a bowl and trust the little cretins?

Do you turn off all your lights and pretend not to be home?

We've done all of the above.  I find we don't get many kids any longer.  Too busy of a street, not that kind of neighborhood.

Yes

Yes

Yes

This also depends on how drunk I am... I have been known to walk the hood drinking as my kids are gathering candy for me to eat while they sleep :)

Do you hand out candy?

Do you leave a bowl and trust the little cretins?

Do you turn off all your lights and pretend not to be home?

We've done all of the above.  I find we don't get many kids any longer.  Too busy of a street, not that kind of neighborhood.

I don't leave a bowl out because I wouldn't trust some kids.

We usually give out candy. I even usually make a costume. This year, I'm not quite feeling it. But a fun event that they do around Halloween every year (that we discovered last year) is happening again and I'm gonna try to get tickets for Halloween night. It's a farm where they often fun unique type events. They do a Zombie Safari Paintball this time of year. It's a blast. They also have a corn maze. I'm gonna try to get tickets for 10/31....wonder if they'll have anything special for Halloween?

Not at my condo... :(   I usually have some kind of Halloween Party the weekend closest to the holiday...I would like to do something the 31st this year...I mean it is Friday...but I have boring friends who are too tired to do something on a Friday night :dontknow:

We got into Halloween when I was growing up...a couple of years I had huge pumpkins...and mid 70's...before decorating for halloween was common...my mom did a scarecrow in the front yard some kid tried to burn it down on halloween...AND we did this awesome ghost..using a large plastic pumpkin on top of an old hall tree....a trouble light and an old white sheet...my mom loved the big eyes on the kids as they turned the corner and saw either the pumpkin or the ghost.. :D

• Heart 1

Our neighborhood is very nice, golf-community based that is very into the holidays. The line to get past the security guard gate is usually twenty cars deep after 6pm on halloween.

No car traffic allowed after 7 till 9pm. So golf carts and streams of children all night. We sit outside with a huge bucket and lounge with the neighbors. One across the way makes a 1200sq ft++ haunted house from his driveway to the garage, out the back yard and back the side of the house. The line to get in is usually five or six houses down. 

So much fun.