Have we ever talked about DST and how it is so awesome?

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by Parsnip Totin Jack,

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Once the holidays are over there is nothing worth living for till April.

The Super  Bowl. Daytona 500. Longer Days. And this year I’m planning my father day mini vacation to San Antonio or Austin in March. 

When I retire and if health permits I’ll probably head to Florida or Tybee/Hilton for a month in the winter. Probably won’t be able to afford a 2000/week Condo for 10 weeks like my parents did. 

I would love it if we had DST all year-round, except school kids would be walking to school or the bus stop in the dark.

I love having daylight until late in the day and it dampens my spirit a little when it gets dark so early.  Maryland gets an hour more of daylight in the winter than those living close to or in Canada, but it's still only about 9 1/2 hours from late November through early January.

Sunday, November 7, is when we in Maryland and most of the USA "Fall Back" 1 hr, which means it will get dark an hour earlier and daylight will keep getting shorter until about Dec. 21, when it slowly starts getting longer again.  My house is a 39.2°N latitude, close to the thick horizontal line in the graph below.  Look at how fast 12 hours of daylight jumps up in our Northern Hemisphere as it approaches the March Equinox and falls off as it moves away from the September Equinox!

Come on April!

Day length as a function of latitude and the day of the year. Latitude 40° N (approximately New York City, Madrid and Beijing) is highlighted as an example.

1920px-Hours_of_daylight_vs_latitude_vs_

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I like sunlight in the morning. 7 AM darkness sucks. 

Hmm...

To me, morning is drudgery and doing things you have to do, rather than the things you want to do.  I would so much rather have afternoon light, that way you wouldn't feel like you wasted the entire day, every day, with no sun or brightness to enjoy at all.  I would never wish for light in the morning if it meant darkness before dinner, ever.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Hmm...

To me, morning is drudgery and doing things you have to do, rather than the things you want to do.  I would so much rather have afternoon light, that way you wouldn't feel like you wasted the entire day, every day, with no sun or brightness to enjoy at all.  I would never wish for light in the morning if it meant darkness before dinner, ever.

Either way, who really prefers to wake in darkness. “Dawn simulation” is more effective than other forms of light therapy for seasonal affective disorder. It’s no thing to eat supper at 4 PM while the sunlight is waning, or cozy up in the warmth of a lighted kitchen to cook dinner at 6 PM. Evening is the time to settle down. No sunlight required. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I would love it if we had DST all year-round, except school kids would be walking to school or the bus stop in the dark.

I agree - bring the light. I could care less about kids and their schedules.  Start school at a different time if you really care about the kids, but stop disrupting the rest of the world for the snowflakes!