Why did you start riding a bicycle?

Square Wheels

I just started a few years ago, and honestly, I'm not really sure why I started.

I was more overweight than I am now, around 235.  I was not comfortable on drop bars so I walked into a bike shop and bought a pretty nice hybrid.  I had no idea what I was buying and just took what they had.

I rode it for about a year and when I realized the weight loss would be separate from riding, I started counting calories.  Then I lost some weight and bought my road bike.

Most days I really like riding, some days I hate it.  I like to push myself and see what I can accomplish.  I think I had a good year and plan on an even better one next year. 

• Heart 1

When I was a kid, my mom told me to buy a bike to ride to work. (lived 3 miles out into the country)

Graduated from community college in 1990, and bought a "nice" bike. (Giant Cabriolet) A 12 mile ride was a pretty hearty ride back then! Stopped riding after a while; not sure why.

Walked in to the LBS just for the heck of it one day in spring of 2006 and saw a 2005 Sirrus leaning against the wall. It was fate. Bought that bike, and loved it! Bicycling mag kept singing the praises of the Roubaix, so by 2011 I HAD to have one! Thus, the road bike I have now. Decided I wanted an orange bike, so I traded in the 2005 Sirrus for the 2014 I have now.

Some days I feel like I should go for a ride, so I do. Most days I just wanna get on my bike (either one) and go, go, go! I DO appreciate the winter for a mental and physical break from riding. Thank goodness for my rollers; after a while I need to get back on my bike even when there is still snow on the ground and salt on the roads.

• Heart 1

If you mean getting back to it as an adult....it was 2004. Just after my mom died. I really needed something to relieve the stress. A friend suggested we go and rent bikes one weekend. It was wonderful. We were both buying bikes shortly afterward. Ironically, even though we shopped/decided completely separately, we both ended up with the same bike (Trek Navigator 300).

I continued riding. She did very little after buying the bike. I still go up and down with the amount I ride. The last few years my riding has mostly only been my short commute to work and back and an small occasional weekend ride.

• Heart 1

When I was a kid, my mom told me to buy a bike to ride to work. (lived 3 miles out into the country)

Graduated from community college in 1990, and bought a "nice" bike. (Giant Cabriolet) A 12 mile ride was a pretty hearty ride back then! Stopped riding after a while; not sure why.

Walked in to the LBS just for the heck of it one day in spring of 2006 and saw a 2005 Sirrus leaning against the wall. It was fate. Bought that bike, and loved it! Bicycling mag kept singing the praises of the Roubaix, so by 2011 I HAD to have one! Thus, the road bike I have now. Decided I wanted an orange bike, so I traded in the 2005 Sirrus for the 2014 I have now.

Some days I feel like I should go for a ride, so I do. Most days I just wanna get on my bike (either one) and go, go, go! I DO appreciate the winter for a mental and physical break from riding. Thank goodness for my rollers; after a while I need to get back on my bike even when there is still snow on the ground and salt on the roads.

Orange is an underrated color!

I was 4 when I got my first bike, and always enjoyed riding it but that was around our driveway and our property.  Eventually I got a ten-speed and my brother and I started riding on the road, to the top of the hill east of our house, then to "the white house" which was about half a mile away, and then we started riding to "Eva's", the general store that was about 2.5 miles away. 

It was either flat or downhill all the way to Eva's, an ancient old place run by an ancient old lady who has unfortunately since passed away.  The store sold actual penny candy, and we'd each fill a bag with about 50c worth, and get a 16-oz soda in a glass bottle that fit perfectly in a bottle cage.  We'd slog all the way home, energized by simple sugars and pushing our tanklike steel bikes, outfitted with whatever Cycle Products accessories we could get our hands on.  I can only imagine what those bikes weighed.  When we got home we'd collapse on the grass in the shade, finish our warm sodas and catch our breath.

I think it was those trips to Eva's that really sealed my love of cycling.  Gradually those rides got longer and longer and when I got my first Panasonic bike, which fit me really well, I started going off on 15-20 mile rides by myself.  Wearing jeans, no helmet... a Fred for sure.  I know I went on a couple 30+ mile rides while I was still in high school.

Pretty sure I was 16 when I placed my first order from Performance:  a red water bottle and a yellow bottle cage (to match the bike - red with yellow decals), and some crocheted cycling gloves.

I'm not always super excited to get out on the bike, but I almost always enjoy it once I'm out there.   Inclement weather does make it hard to enjoy a ride.  Especially that time with the heavy sleet, and two miles to get home from the train station.  I'll never forget that ride.

Yes, I was away from cycling for a few years, but I'm really happy to be back.

• Heart 2

I always loved riding a bike.  More than all the other kids in my neighborhood.  I was always on my bike.   :)

Later, as an adult I rode at various times depending on my situation.  But I was also a runner, and running was more convenient and I could do it anywhere, even on my business trips.

When I hit my early 50's, my knees and ankles started not liking running, so I went back to my first love, my bike.

SW says he hates riding some days.  I never hate it.  Even when bad things have happened, I still mostly remember the feeling of freedom and joy that riding a bike has always brought to me.

I was thinking earlier today when I was getting my bike out to go for a ride, that if I ever get to where I can't ride anymore, they might as well pull the plug on me.   :)

• Heart 2

I used to ride a lot as a kid, just to get out of the house and away from my father until I got my license, then I stopped.  About 10 years ago, after yet another break up from a girl fiend, something made me think about how I used to like to ride and how it made me feel.  So I bought a hybrid.  After riding that for a year, and learning more about bikes, I decided I wanted something different.  I got rid of the hybrid and stepped up to a Trek FX.  Rode that for a few years then bought a Madone.  Now I have three bikes, the Madone, a cross that I built, and Trek 4300 mountain bike.  It's turned out to be a good decision on my part.  Even though the hybrid wasn't bad, and I didn't dislike it, I'm really enjoying the other bikes. 

I'm not a strong rider, I don't do hills well, and my average speed sucks... but wth...

• Heart 4

I had played basketball several times a week, year around, for over 20 years.  That was my passion.  In 2007 WoKzoo talked me into running a local 5k.  She had been running for several years.  Even though I ran track during my teen years I really didn't have any interest in running, but she convinced me.  I ran a 4th of July 5k and was hooked.  I immediately set my eyes on a 10k at the end of the summer but, as I upped the miles, I found I just enjoyed it all the more.  So I set my sights on a fall half.  I ran that and had a great time.  Right after that I developed a issue with my right foot.  It made running distances difficult but I was able to get through some full court basketball.  When the spring of 2008 came around I decided that I needed to add something to my routine to try to get back the incredible edge I found the previous summer.  There was an old MBT sitting in the garage so I picked it up and decided to do 6 miles.  I hated every mile of it - especially when I hit the turnaround spot and found the stiff and cold April wind hitting me full on.  I wanted nothing to do with a bike.  About 2 weeks later a good friend of mine heard that I was on a bike and invited me for a Saturday boring ride.  He loaned me his extra bike (a hybrid) and we did 20 miles - I had a GREAT time.  I've been cranking pedals ever since.

That's my story

• Heart 3

I got own bike my Junior year in high school, prior to that I either had a temporary hand-me-down from an older cousin (my trie and small training wheel bike)..then I graduated to sharing a bike with my sister.  My Junior year I bought a 10 speed sears free spirit touring bike...I did not like a "boys" bike with down turned handlebars...the year before I got my bike I rode a good 10 or 15 miles on a 3 speed banana seat small wheeled bike...that was a ton of work.  Did lots of 10 to 20 mile rides on the 10 speed..but only for about 2 years.  Sold it at a Garage Sale.....Then in about 1987...I met someone who did a backroads tour to the Canadian Rockies...It was during my long  period of unemployment or under-employment...I purchased a Specialized CrossRoads...and eventually did a Lung Association 3 day ride.  It was there I met some people who were more into riding than the gal I was riding with (she still rides...but she will take off and spend the entire day doing 40 miles...she would be great with the Brits...but too slow for my regular rides)....These folks introduced me to the Terry Symmetry and a bike frame that was more my size...I still slow down on corners and cut back a bit on my speed...but not as much as I use to on those bigger framed bikes.  After about 15 years, I upgraded to the Madone...and my shifting has improved.  This years has been one of my worst for miles in the last 8 years....but I am not ready to quit.  It is great for my soul to ride.

• Heart 2

My yoga teacher and some fellow yogis nagged me until I agreed to let them set me up on a bike and go out with them.... I rode with them twice and then went out to buy a bike, the same one I have now.  One of them told me to spend as much as I could afford..... good advice!  

• Heart 2

The day I got my first bike was the day I saw my first dead person. I was about 7 and my dad drove me to a house with a long driveway to buy a used bike. When we were leaving, I told my dad there was a man laying in a field, and he said it was a scarecrow. I told him it was a man and turns out the father of the family we bought the bike from had a heart attack and died while we were there.

Did the normal kid riding stuff growing up. Moved out west six years ago and with WoZ having given up her job, we tripled our mortgage and halved our income. I decided to ride my old $300 walmart special to work to avoid buying a second car, which neither of us wanted. Sort of fell in love with biking every day, and ended up buying a
hybrid for commuting on. As I got use to the commuter, I started stretching my rides home to 40-60 miles. Last year I did my first century, solo on my commuter in 5:29:30.

I really enjoyed the longer rides and started doing more and more riding and bought my very first road bike since I was too young to drive a couple months ago.

I still ride to work everyday, and coming full circle from my first day with first bike, I bike to a job where I go look for dead people. Weird how things work out sometimes

• Heart 1

The day I got my first bike was the day I saw my first dead person. I was about 7 and my dad drove me to a house with a long driveway to buy a used bike. When we were leaving, I told my dad there was a man laying in a field, and he said it was a scarecrow. I told him it was a man and turns out the father of the family we bought the bike from had a heart attack and died while we were there.

Did the normal kid riding stuff growing up. Moved out west six years ago and with WoZ having given up her job, we tripled our mortgage and halved our income. I decided to ride my old $300 walmart special to work to avoid buying a second car, which neither of us wanted. Sort of fell in love with biking every day, and ended up buying a
hybrid for commuting on. As I got use to the commuter, I started stretching my rides home to 40-60 miles. Last year I did my first century, solo on my commuter in 5:29:30.

I really enjoyed the longer rides and started doing more and more riding and bought my very first road bike since I was too young to drive a couple months ago.

I still ride to work everyday, and coming full circle from my first day with first bike, I bike to a job where I go look for dead people. Weird how things work out sometimes

What kind of job has you looking for dead people?

I started riding one because my dad stuck me on it and kept making me fall over and then he would yell at me.  He seemed to stop yelling as much once I stopped falling over.

Okay, that was a lie.  

I rode a bike as a kid, well, because I was a kid and that is how we got around.  Had a BMX track in the field across the street.  We used to see who could jump the farthest, etc.

When I went to college, I bought a MTB to get around campus and while at college, I fell in love with an 84 Trek 300 and found that I really liked riding road bikes.  Rode all the time in college and after until I got married and had little time left for bikes.

I still ride some, but not as much and I spend quite a bit of time working on bikes for friends, etc.

• Heart 1

I cycled a bit with a buddy of mine in the late 70's after college.  I bought my wife and I Schwinn Varsity 5's in 1979.  I did some riding, including a 70 mile ride in western Indiana on that Varsity 5.  I upgraded to a Schwinn Traveler in 1983, then to a Schwinn Prelude in 1986.  I read the book by Dr Ken Cooper in the early 1980's, and tried to have 3-5 workouts a week since then.

• Heart 1