So my interior door handle on the del Sol broke - this is snot going to be easy to fix - I hate deal

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by Longjohn,

29 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Roll down your window and use the outside handle. 

I couldn't do that yesterday morning because the window was frozen in place, so I had to Groucho crawl oot the passenger side. 

I sure hope it is as easy as in this Accord video - wooha!

Dang, $55!  I might have to finally junk the car!  Hard to believe that JB Weld actually works.  I guess i need to find the problem.

• Haha 1

I broke the passenger door handle off one of Esthers cars. She went out to go to work at 4:30 in the morning and had a flat tire. I told her to take my Element to work and I’ll fix her tire and drive her car to work. It was the middle of winter and probably around 10°. I had left my warmest pair of gloves on the passenger seat of her car. I went to get them out and the door was frozen shut. I pulled and pulled on the handle but the door wouldn’t budge. I finally have it one big yank and the door handle broke off in my hand gouging my index finger on the broken edge. My finger was bleeding like crazy.i went in the house and taped up my finger.

I went back out and tried the driver’s side door and it wouldn’t open either. I went in and got her keys and unlocked her door and it opened right up. Why would anyone lock their doors in Skunk Hollow? I grabbed my gloves and removed her wheel with the flat tire, aired it up and found the leak. She had run over a nail. Pulled the nail out and plugged the tire and put it back on.

I was so mad at her locking her doors and my having to work on her car in the dark that I refused to fix her door handle. If she was going to haul a passenger (usually me) she would have to put the window down and I would reach in and open it from the inside. About a year later she traded it in with it still missing a door handle.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have a bad lock on the door of the chrysler.  There is a hard plastic panel riveted to the door skin under the door panel.   I just said Eff it and leave that door locked unless someone needs to ride on that side in the back.

My daughter just had her Chrysler Town & Country rear sliding door lock fixed on Monday. The part was only $65 while the labor was about $400.

One of the most difficult jobs that I've ever done on a car was changing the power window motor on a Chevy Cavalier. Getting the panel of and on wasn't too bad but installing the motor on the regulator was a PITA. If I ever do something like that again, I'm paying the extra for the entire motor and regulator assembly,

25 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

One of the most difficult jobs that I've ever done on a car was changing the power window motor on a Chevy Cavalier. Getting the panel of and on wasn't too bad but installing the motor on the regulator was a PITA. If I ever do something like that again, I'm paying the extra for the entire motor and regulator assembly,

On my Element the regulator went bad, they only sold it as an assembly. I think it was around $50.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Drat! It' snot the easy fix. It looks like the cable came loose on the latch end, so I need to find a video for that.  And the plastic for the door lock is aboot gone  - it is just crumbling away.

Just enjoy the challenge.  Put a camera on and grab us a video.  Edit it so there can be a nice How To up on youtube for others. 

YOU GOT THIS!!!!

Or, call LJ to come help.  He (or the more expensive @donkpow) can help you.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Drat! It' snot the easy fix. It looks like the cable came loose on the latch end, so I need to find a video for that.  And the plastic for the door lock is aboot gone  - it is just crumbling away.

I fixed the handle assembly/cable in my Lezburu, it wasn't all that tough.  I think I saved more than $1,100 doing it myself IIRC, including the parts that I sourced at a Lezburu reclamation place in Boulder.  They wanted a fortune do it at the stealership. 

You can do it!  If you don't want to try, I will come out and help, I know how much you love saving money!

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Ok, broken cable. And the interior handle is cracked, so I will do the glue thing. And someone has been inside the door before because the vapor barrier is gone. I think I can get ‘er done!

You bought a USED del Sol?!?!?!?  Oh boy.  No wonder you're starting to have troubles. :scratchhead: 

I do look forward to the DIY video, though!

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You bought a USED del Sol?!?!?!?  Oh boy.  No wonder you're starting to have troubles. :scratchhead: 

I do look forward to the DIY video, though!

Bought in 2006 with around 110 k I think.  It only left me stranded once  twice in those 15 years, and the first (bad distributor) didn't really count because it was one block from home.  The second was just a year or so ago about 2 miles from home so AAA towed it and my wife picked me up.  The most expensive repair was the water pump so that was the perfect timing for a timing belt anyhoo.  Exhaust work has been needed though - all carbon steel AFAIK.  Not stainless like it should have been.

• Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Ok, broken cable. And the interior handle is cracked, so I will do the glue thing. And someone has been inside the door before because the vapor barrier is gone. I think I can get ‘er done!

Job stats to date:

Curses - 0

Lost parts - 0

Broken parts - 0

Duration - 1 day

Cost - guestimate $30 for new cable

Project phase:  1

1. Enthusiasm
  2. Disillusionment
  3. Panic
  4. Search for the guilty
  5. Punishment of the innocent
  6. Praise and honors for the non-participants

Looking good!  :D

You left out step 7
7.  Throw away handful of left over parts and walk away whistling.

15 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

And the interior handle is cracked, so I will do the glue thing. And someone has been inside the door before because the vapor barrier is gone. I think I can get ‘er done!

I tried the epoxy fix first, didn't hold.  That is why I went and got the whole assembly.

12 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

It just has a crack that doesn’t really affect its function and I don’t think nearly as much stress as if it was on the bracket that pulls the cable. 

Got a photo of the part (cable)?  We have several MacGuyvers here.

3 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Cables are either discontinued or sold oot. I guess the age of the car and supply chain problems are stacked against me. I might be moving to the disillusionment phase already. :(

It is weird that the cable break looks totally clean, like it was cut. 

junkyard or e-bay

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Thank, Bikeguy!  Ordered, due 11/10 

I just had to order an air filter for WoBG's 97 Honda Prelude online from NAPA.  Picked it up at the local NAPA store.  The box was covered in soooo much dust, the guy opened the box to see the air filter to see if was OK.  It was.    AutoZone could not get the part. 

Hmmm...  I probably should order the next one now.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, jsharr said:

Find a wrecked del Sol at the junkyard just buy the whole door and stick that on there

There is a house nearby that has aboot 5 sitting in their yard. Would it be rude to knock on the door and ask to buy some parts?  :D  The son used to work at McDonald’s and he loved seeing my del Sol. He once charged into the Subway that used to be next door and asked the crowd who owned the del sol parked outside. I fessed up and we talked a while. Some kids love del Sols. :D Old, cheap, reliable, unusual, targa tops.    

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

There is a house nearby that has aboot 5 sitting in their yard. Would it be rude to knock on the door and ask to buy some parts?  :D  The son used to work at McDonald’s and he loved seeing my del Sol. He once charged into the Subway that used to be next door and asked the crowd who owned the del sol parked outside. I fessed up and we talked a while. Some kids love del Sols. :D Old, cheap, reliable, unusual, targa tops.    

Worth a try 

• 3 weeks later...

Solidly in the Disillusionment phase now!  I think I will call the local mechanic tomorrow and see if they will take it on.  Even ifn I could get the proper cable I have no idea how I would get to the end to install it.  I tried taking a pic but owl have to try again with flash. I am afeared if I unbolt the latch I will loose what little functionality I have left, ie the ability to have it latch and lock and open with the ootside handle!

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Solidly in the Disillusionment phase now!  I think I will call the local mechanic tomorrow and see if they will take it on.  Even ifn I could get the proper cable I have no idea how I would get to the end to install it.  I tried taking a pic but owl have to try again with flash. I am afeared if I unbolt the latch I will loose what little functionality I have left, ie the ability to have it latch and lock and open with the ootside handle!

Some very elegant cars have simple solutions.  See that dark line in the void in the passenger side door.  Reach over with your hand and pull and the door unlatches.  Now if a million dollar Ferrari can solve a problem that way so can you.

Extreme machine: the inside story of the Ferrari F40 | Classic & Sports Car

• Heart 1

^^^^ My dream car, The Ferrari F-40LM, possible the most brutal road car ever delivered.  It was a Ferrari F-1 engine placed in an aerodynamic carbon fiber body shell that turned laps at the Ferrari test track faster than the F-1 car from which it derived it's engine.

Unlike the modern Hellcat "Whoopie, a thousand horsepower on the straightaway omg there's a corner at the end of the straight we're all going to die" This car was meant to perform on corners as well as in a straight line.  No electronic shifting automatic with paddle shifters (note the manly standard shift gate).  No constantly variable computer controlled suspension.  No roll down windows (there are little sliding rectangles to let some air in).  Note the un-upholstered carbon fiber interior and take special note that your heater is just on the other side of the bulkhead behind you and that the proximity of the "heater" makes anything like a radio or stereo useless.  Even the glove box is a bolted on panel covering the void that would house some of your race computers if this were not a "street car".  Although I always lusted after this vehicle, there is absolutely no place on public roads that you can use even part of it's potential.  It's just a killer machine.

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I am sorry this is upsetting you. Do make a. Video. 

Maxx has activated my redneck engineering gene. I am envisioning a cable loop to snare the mechanism withoot having to go in there. :)  Hold my beer!

Later…. Curses!  I am thwarted with every parry!  I can move the mechanism the same distance as the one on the other door moves, but she no pop the door!  I can easily pop it open by emulating the outside handle from inside. But it is not a direction I could do from the hole where the interior handle fits. And I can’t  leave the whole interior panel off because it has the electric window switches built in.  It seems odd that both the latch and the cable would break when the latch moves freely.  And lastly, just using the outside handle is not a viable option because the electric window is very tired and the excess cycles would probably kill it off.    

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

As far as lusting after exotic and impractical cars, the Lotus Elise has always been it for me, although the Alfa Romeo 4c is pretty tempting also. 

Womaxx used to handle the Lotus America account when she worked for the bank.  She knew Colin well enough so that he remembered her name.  My interest with Lotus stopped with the Elite.  I used to ask womaxx if she could get us a deal.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I think they charge a lot more than $80 an hour. Either that or they work awful slow.

I have a local independent ,mechanic who has done some pretty good work at a decent price.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I think it's time to get Honda to fix it.  That's why the send all those techs to school all the time.  It's also why they charge you about $80 per hour labor.

Most of the techs weren;t even born when this car was made!  Although door latch technology may not have changed much in 26 years.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

No, that was for an Accord.

I sure hope you can return the part.  :(

OK... I searched and found this. https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~cable~assy~72171-sr2-a02.html

The bad news... they don't have any.  But it appears to be the correct part number.   

Maybe Honda can find one....    Or it is time to go to a junk yard and hope the 26 year old part will work for more a few more years.  

I'd say ask the Honda dealer for an estimate.  Just be ready for a big number...

WoBG's 1997 Honda Prelude, drivers side door, outside door handle...  if you pull up on the handle the door will open.  But there must be a spring or linkage, that broke.  The door handle does not pull itself back into the door.  You have to push it back.   Other than that, it all works just fine.   I asked the Honda dealer for an estimate for the repair.  $600.    Yeah pushing the handle back into the door works just fine.   That's the only thing in the car that is not repaired.    I worked on lots of cars back in the 70s and 80s but I'm not going to even try to do the repair myself.