Confession

Zealot
Go to solution Solved by Dirtyhip,

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

I rode the tank once and an ebike once..shoulder and 90 degree temps were part of my downfall..You just took a break..that's good too.

How is your shoulder doing?

Sadly, I think my right shoulder is close to needing to be replaced now. 

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It's ok. You can aways change that scenario to a different one.

I slacked off a lot last Summer.  We had unsafe air quality, and the home build just left me with no energy left to ride much.  I have since turned that around and you can too.

Glad you’re back at it!  You’re one of my cycling heroes. I can’t imagine you not riding.  😊 

I think for me, the new job, the camper project Mrs Z and I delved into, the actual camping and some health stresses all contributed to me slacking off. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

This 'confession' might be better posted on a cycling web site.  ;)

Well, there is that... 😉 

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

As long as we're doing confessions, I confess I've never even ridden the GAP, so you're one up on me there, Z! 

If you ever get an inkling, let me know! (Would give me a reason to get back at it.). 😊 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

Glad you’re back at it!  You’re one of my cycling heroes. I can’t imagine you not riding.  😊 

I think for me, the new job, the camper project Mrs Z and I delved into, the actual camping and some health stresses all contributed to me slacking off. 

Change is stressful on people. 

Thanks for the compliment.  I did some riding last Summer, but not nearly as much as my usual.  There just wasn't enough energy for it all.  Add all the days of unbreathable air and I had a scenario of gaining almost 20 pounds.  The weight is back off and I am feeling so accomplished.  Just commuting, I am getting 50 miles a week.  A few fun days and I am going to easily get 60-80 a week.  I don't do as many long mile rides, as I am more prone to dirt miles with some elevation.   

Hope your health is good.  I think you and I both struggle with that.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, Zealot said:

Where are you currently with regards to treatment? 

I had my last treatment the end of August. I have bloodwork every three weeks. The chemo was rough, it didn’t play nice with my heart meds and it involved stopping mid-treatment and ambulance ride to the ER and being admitted to the hospital for four days two different times. I see my oncologist next month and will find out how I’m doing.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I had my last treatment the end of August. I have bloodwork every three weeks. The chemo was rough, it didn’t play nice with my heart meds and it involved stopping mid-treatment and ambulance ride to the ER and being admitted to the hospital for four days two different times. I see my oncologist next month and will find out how I’m doing.

Prayers offered. 

• Thank You 1
  • Hugs 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Beanz said:

He didn't know how to ride? Had you taken the time to teach him, you might have had a very encouraging ride partner to get you out there. :party:

It’s a long and complicated story. Short version, in conversation he found out I mountain bike. He got excited and told me he used to ride out west. Said he doesn’t currently own a bike but would like to get back into it. He spoke the language and knew the places.

I got excited and loaned him one of my bikes. Well before we went out I asked many questions to determine his skill level. He was convincing in his confirmation that he was very experienced. I took him to a moderate course that starts out pretty easily. 

He literally fell over 5 times in the parking lot just trying to ride on the asphalt. After he could keep the bike upright, I was very tentative about letting him on the trail. He insisted he could do it. We went out slow. He couldn’t handle the smallest of obstacles, fell over more, walked a lot and was winded within a quarter mile. When we got to a section of the trail where the effort level goes up exponentially, I stopped and told him it was advisable that we didn’t continue. He agreed, apologized and told me he couldn’t do it.

Back at the car we talked and I offered to start riding with him on the bike path or C&O to get his lungs and legs back. I would have helped him out. He sounded like he wanted to. He asked me to help him find a bike he could buy. I did. I found some really decent deals at very low costs. He then told me he didn’t have the funds. And has never mentioned it again. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

It’s funny that he talked like he knew what he was doing. Maybe he hung out in a bar that cyclists frequented and picked up the language.

He had lived in California for awhile. Actually quite near to where I was I when I lived there. He knew the mtb venues in the area. Was very descriptive of some of his rides there. Very weird.  

11 hours ago, Zealot said:

I’ve not ridden a bike since I rode the GAP last September.  Except for once last spring when a guy I work with wanted to do an MTB ride. We attempted it, but he honestly couldn’t ride (had told me he knew how to), so we turned around after 1/2 mile in. He was in physical distress. 😞 

But I haven’t had much desire. Maybe I’ll  attempt to go out this weekend. 

I'm in the same boat Zealot.  Lots of life crap has hit and I just don't have the time nor the desire.  I trust it will come back -- it always does -- but I'm not losing any sleep over it.  You'll do it when you are ready.

• Heart 1