Trail sign ruined

Dirtyhip
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Porcupine

I searched;  How do you stop porcupines from eating plywood?

Possibly @Longjohn can help with some of his peppers.   You could try to deter porcupines by sprinkling cayenne pepper on the wood.  But that's just a temporally solution.   Then again, one of LJ's peppers may be a permanent solution. 

Or use recycled plastic, like the deck materials, for the signs. 

Apparently the critters like to eat wood. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I searched;  How do you stop porcupines from eating plywood?

Possibly @Longjohn can help with some of his peppers.   You could try to deter porcupines by sprinkling cayenne pepper on the wood.  But that's just a temporally solution.   Then again, one of LJ's peppers may be a permanent solution. 

Or use recycled plastic, like the deck materials, for the signs. 

Apparently the critters like to eat wood. 

We do a lot of carbonite now.  I think that is what those plastic ones are made of.  This sign was in our more wilderness zone and wanted to stay with the usual Forest Service style materials.  I think this would be a funny feel good story for our paper.  Shine light on the work we do for donations and a laughable piece about the forces of nature that does their thing.

51 minutes ago, jdc2000 said:

GlacierParkTrailSigns.jpg

Very nice.  Looks like metal.  I think this is a better idea than the carbonite.  Jerk people can still break those.  People so way more damage than the animals around here.  There are people that don't like new trails or change, and we have had human caused vandalism.

We had a good event today though.  The sign brought lots of laughs.  I had fun showing people this.