Breaking news-Rolling Coal in Texas

sheep_herder

😮 This is horrible.  Why do folks have to act like this?  Why did he want to blow smoke all over a group Of cyclists?? I’m betting he punched the accelerator to make a lot of smoke and lost control of the truck. 

I didn’t even know this ‘rolling coal’ was a thing. I’ve seen trucks like that, just assumed the trucks were burning oil; about to blow piston rings... 

3 minutes ago, Zealot said:

😮 This is horrible.  Why do folks have to act like this?  Why did he want to blow smoke all over a group Of cyclists?? I’m betting he punched the accelerator to make a lot of smoke and lost control of the truck. 

I didn’t even know this ‘rolling coal’ was a thing. I’ve seen trucks like that, just assumed the trucks were burning oil; about to blow piston rings... 

They modify the fuel injection to dump a stupid amount of fuel in The excess blows out as smoke The mileage goes from bad to horrible 

7 minutes ago, Zealot said:

It is unfortunately a real thing. These people intentionally modify their trucks to make them run worse, build up excess diesel in the system, so they can belch thick clouds of toxic gas. Twenty-one states have laws banning it and a few have even tried to prosicute individuals when they do this to a person as assault but as all things justice involved; it is barely enforced and largely ineffective of punishment to deter these morons.

Hopefully felony assaults' wakes these morons up and they discontinue the practice all together.

2 minutes ago, Further said:

They modify the fuel injection to dump a stupid amount of fuel in The excess blows out as smoke The mileage goes from bad to horrible 

I don't think a mod is necessary to roll coal.  It just makes it much easier.  Likely the moran's wasn't modified, which required him to both act stupidly AND fuck it up at the same time.

15 minutes ago, Further said:

13 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

It is unfortunately a real thing. These people intentionally modify their trucks to make them run worse, build up excess diesel in the system, so they can belch thick clouds of toxic gas. Twenty-one states have laws banning it and a few have even tried to prosicute individuals when they do this to a person as assault but as all things justice involved; it is barely enforced and largely ineffective of punishment to deter these morons.

Hopefully felony assaults' wakes these morons up and they discontinue the practice all together.

This is absolutely inane. 😞  I honestly can’t fathom why anyone would want to do this.

15 minutes ago, Zealot said:

This is absolutely inane. 😞  I honestly can’t fathom why anyone would want to do this.

Well, it has much broader "fun" aspects as it is more typically done to folks in Teslas. 

But, I'm sure there are good people on both sides of these fun and games.

Thank you for the update. I had been following the local reporter’s Tweets, but lost track of the story after I deleted my Twitter account. 
When we first saw the story, people here said the boy was probably connected to city leadership and that’s why police let him leave the scene. You guys were right. No sobriety check, no investigation of the scene, no impounded vehicle. It’s going to be one person’s story against another. 

Modern Diesel engines require modifications to make them dump the black smoke. My son’s Ram 2500 couldn’t do it stock but he knew how to, just didn’t want to. It’s done to insult others who they don’t like. Tesla’s and Prius’ are prime targets as they are considered tree hugging hippies. Cyclists are an easy target as they are slow (relative to the truck) and we are easy targets. I’ve been rolled by trucks before. Harley owners like to rev their engines when passing us as we climb Skyline Drive. It’s annoying. I’d like to meet them on a bicycle one day. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

"Oh, he was such a good boy".   :facepalm:

Sort of thinking about Michael Vick's dogs.  Vicious vicious dogs.  Horrible behavior. 

But, to your comment, you can pretty much guarantee that "good boy" and "only mistake" will be a huge part of the defense.

7 minutes ago, groupw said:

I was going to write a long post because I encounter these guys in person a lot. It would probably turn into a political shitstorm. Suffice to say they are compensating on many levels. 

I still remember being in Yosemite in May, and the dude in the lifted diesel with the loud exhaust, rolling billboard of political posturing, and an assortment of other "compensation behavior".  You have to be a special kind of azzhole (& sociopath) to roll coal in a National Park, and even more so in the granddaddy of NPs.

I don't think the Park Police did anything about it, but I'm pretty sure that person would escalate over time, not calm down. :(