Who would do this???

Bikeguy

WoBG and I walk our dogs every day.   One place along the Ottawa River Trail recently mowed their grass.  This is the result.

1637279582_Riverwalkmowing.thumb.jpg.aba7842a5f12f54ebcfe8a9f6663f739.jpg

Obviously the mower deck is nowhere near level.  I'll guess it has dropped (disconnected, etc..) from one of the supports for the mower deck.

I would have stopped mowing and fixed the mower deck.  

Some grass is not cut, and the other side is nearly scalped to the dirt.  :facepalm:

My buddy's tenant

He rents a house on my buddy's property and mows the lawn around both houses, not a formal agreement the guy likes to cut grass. So my bud gets home from work, the tenant is mowing and what he has mowed is saw toothed as hell. Bud stops him and a quick glance at the mower finds a totally flat rear tire.

How you can drive a tractor with a flat tire and not notice it is beyond me    :dontknow: 

Or not notice that the lawn you mowed looks worse than it did before.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The machinery is the tool. Training doesn't always include the part about what you are doing and why.

Before I mow... I go thru my short check list to be sure everything is good to go.  I'm not going to kill my JD because I was didn't bother to understand how it works, etc...    it cost to much to have it fail by self inflicted neglect.  

When I'm finished mowing, the leaf blower is the quickest way to clean all of the crap off of the mower deck, etc..   And about once a month it gets power washed after I removed the mower deck. (Removing and reinstalling the mower deck on my old JD is MUCH easier compared to the new JD.   They made that soooo much more difficult.  But I digress....) 

Sure... I'm a geek at heart... I even read thru the owner's manual after my JD was delivered to my home. 

• Heart 2

My Torro zero turn did that somewhat the last year I used it. Not to that extent but I liked it. It made it easier to see where I had just mowed. I hate trying to mow and I can’t tell where I just mowed. Next summer owl see if that has changed after I get my Cadillac’s removed. Nobody can see my yard from the road anyway.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I hate trying to mow and I can’t tell where I just mowed.

Just wait a week more between the times you mow...  you can see the difference then. 

Yeah... I don't like to mow late in the day, just because it is more difficult for me to see where I just mowed in some parts of the yard.    The eye doc tells me it will be about 3 to 4 years before I will need my Cadillac’s removed.   

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Just wait a week more between the times you mow...  you can see the difference then. 

Yeah... I don't like to mow late in the day, just because it is more difficult for me to see where I just mowed in some parts of the yard.    The eye doc tells me it will be about 3 to 4 years before I will need my Cadillac’s removed.   

The eye doc told me I had the beginning of Cadillacs years ago. He said I’ll know when it’s time to have them removed. It hit me all at once while I was caring for my wife but I couldn’t take time out for that and then one serious medical problem after another all year. Things seem to be stable right now so I’m getting it done.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, Further said:

Contour mowing for erosion control 1637279582_Riverwalkmowing.thumb.jpg.aba7842a5f12f54ebcfe8a9f6663f739.jpg

I was wondering the same thing. But we do all kinds of terracing and directional cutting in the Southwest to get the water deeper so roots will grow deeper. I imagine water isn’t as scarce in the area where this photo was taken. 

20 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Trying to leave margin for error, non-didactic expression. People here get triggered by teachers saying stuff. 

You can do your non-didactic expressions all you want.  Just as long as you're not trying to teach me something.  * flashbacks *

6 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I was wondering the same thing. But we do all kinds of terracing and directional cutting in the Southwest to get the water deeper so roots will grow deeper. I imagine water isn’t as scarce in the area where this photo was taken. 

There is LOTS of water here.  The elevation gain in the picture is not that much...  15 feet (more or less).

image.png.fbbacf804a88bf970a71559385e130de.png

7 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

But we do all kinds of terracing and directional cutting in the Southwest to get the water deeper so roots will grow deeper. I imagine water isn’t as scarce in the area where this photo was taken. 

I'd guess we get more water in an average month than you get in a year.     I was 100% sure @Further was joking about contour mowing for erosion control... Now I'm not sure. 

image.png.98589c5bb7effbb79cc23d9596c15423.png