Remember my old boss?

Wilbur
Go to solution Solved by Zephyr,

14 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Seriously, tough question.  Have you amde a list of pros and cons?  This is what @kirby would do

Yes, I would think logically about it.  It would get you out of that hellhole and into a different hellhole.

Taxation-wise, would you be a resident of what country, and would Canada still be taking taxes?  Would the family bitch, bitch, bitch?  Do you have guarantees at your current place?  How is the contract guaranteed?  How would you collect if he reneges?  Any contract for a pilot over a certain age would be very nice indeed, that would be a factor.

It is nice to have options.

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

No, they have great facilities but you are subject to purchasing insurance and she has a great rapport with her current docs. 

Or your boss should allow you as part of the benefit pkg., fly her back to Canada to see  doctors. They know her condition, etc. One of  your daughters and her hubby just continues to look after Canadian home.

It almost sounds to be too good to be true, Wilbur. What would the Cayman Islands community be like for your wife if she lived there? 

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Well, she would be giving up the company of here kids here and moving to an island where she has no friends and no support system.   I on th other hand would be taking a job that would keep me away from her about 200 days per year.   In her words, "she is the one moving to the Caymans". It would also be difficult to maintain my aircraft sales clients from the Caymans.  To put things in perspective, I double my flying salary with one good aircraft sale. 

I really liked my former boss and we had great respect for one another.  That said, my current boss is also an outstanding and fun guy to be around.  We have a very good relationship as well. 

I have also spent enough time on sandy beaches to last me a lifetime. 

I don't think it as tough a call as I originally thought.  

Moving to Cayman Islands, yet working 200 days / annually while she moved there, sounds abit off at this point for you 2. It's about time enjoying lots of the greater world...together.

So your answer is a gracious refusal to the offer?

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The one who bought a family airplane but then had a girlfriend which caused a divorce and the inevitable halving of his wealth and sale of the airplane?  The guy I had trouble making a decision on leaving when the bank came knocking at my door?  

Well, I have been working on buying him a new aircraft now that the marital dust has settled, his girlfriend became wife #2 and they have an infant an airplane is important.

Long story short, we are in the final stages of acquisition and crew is becoming his focus.  He just sent me a formal offer for employment but I would have to relocate to the Cayman Islands. This raises all kinds of family issues and medical issues for WoWilbur but he is amenable to a 5 year contract at nearly double my current salary. 

What would you do? 

If 5 years in the Cayman Islands could be followed by a change of jobs without hurting where you have been without taking the Cayman Islands job, I'd take it. 

I spent a couple days of a 2017 cruise at the Cayman Islands and loved it - I even checked into housing costs there in case I ever decided to move to the Caribbean (not particularly cheap).  The native language is English, the standard of living is advanced compared to Mexico, etc., and you'd have the entire Caribbean area to explore for five years.

We visited a turtle hatchery and cruised Hamburger Reef in a semi-submarine - my rotator cuff surgery a couple months earlier prevented me from taking the diving lessons and diving Hamburger Reef so that was still a thrill.  I sent friends and relatives postcards from the mini-town of "Hell."

• Heart 1

I have a good friend who lives there. She likes the island life and their careers provide a nice lifestyle. However, it is a small island and you do get “island fever” at times. Their Covid protocols are pretty strict before and after travel making getting off the island not that practical at this time. 
They plan to move as soon as her husband’s project starts to wrap up and they will retire. They then have to decide where next

On 11/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, shootingstar said:

Moving to Cayman Islands, yet working 200 days / annually while she moved there, sounds a bit off at this point for you 2. It's about time enjoying lots of the greater world...together.

So your answer is a gracious refusal to the offer?

That was exactly my thought..    If we moved to a place where WoBG would know very few people, and I'd leave her for a 200 days a year...  I'd soon be living there alone.   She'd hate me for that.

WoBG would be bored out of her mind.  Loves the winters here and her friends etc...    Then adding medical reasons too... 

I'd never move there. 

I'd say thanks... but no thanks.  

• Heart 2