Good food thread

Parsnip Totin Jack

My BIL, lazy-ass Joe is living with us now as he recovers from MRSA.  Joe stopped eating vegetables when he turned 18 because he doesn't like them.  Forty years later he's diabetic, in poor health due to dietary choices and no exercise.  Last night I made stuffed acorn squash for dinner.  He said, "I don't like vegetables but I'll try it", when he sat down.  After one serving he wanted more, "that tasted really good".  There's more where that came from Joe.  You're trying roasted cauliflower this weekend.

For lunch, I had a salad with romaine, kale, garden tomatoes, avocado, sliced parmesan and a dressing made with fresh olive oil and balsamic vinegar made from grape must not wine vinegar.  That is good stuff.

• Heart 1

My BIL, lazy-ass Joe is living with us now as he recovers from MRSA.  Joe stopped eating vegetables when he turned 18 because he doesn't like them.  Forty years later he's diabetic, in poor health due to dietary choices and no exercise.  Last night I made stuffed acorn squash for dinner.  He said, "I don't like vegetables but I'll try it", when he sat down.  After one serving he wanted more, "that tasted really good".  There's more where that came from Joe.  You're trying roasted cauliflower this weekend.

For lunch, I had a salad with romaine, kale, garden tomatoes, avocado, sliced parmesan and a dressing made with fresh olive oil and balsamic vinegar made from grape must not wine vinegar.  That is good stuff.

You know what would go could with that?  Chicken Fried steak, gravy and a 44oz sweet tea.

• Heart 1

How do you roast cauliflower?  Hell, I will do a cauliflower thread, I have other specific questions.

Congrats on getting that waste of flesh some nutrients!

Get a head of cauliflower, wash and break into florets (bite size pieces).  Place on a foil-lined baking sheet (the foil makes clean up easy)  Toss with olive oil (1 - 2 Tblsp) kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Add four to six whole peeled garlic cloves and bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes.  Your house is going to smell real good at this point.  If desired, add some shredded parmesan right before serving.

Last night I made stuffed acorn squash for dinner.

One of my faves. When winter squash is in season I start doing stuffed acorn squash once a week or so. My wife is not a big vegetable eater either, and I've even got her to loving stuffed acorn squash. :D

• Heart 1

One of my faves. When winter squash is in season I start doing stuffed acorn squash once a week or so. My wife is not a big vegetable eater either, and I've even got her to loving stuffed acorn squash. :D

We've been eating acorn squash 4-5 times a week for the last couple weeeks. I don't have a good place to store them and we had a bumper crop this year. After dinner I have been cooking and freezing Hubbard squash and still have a pile to go.

• Heart 1

We've been eating acorn squash 4-5 times a week for the last couple weeeks. I don't have a good place to store them and we had a bumper crop this year. After dinner I have been cooking and freezing Hubbard squash and still have a pile to go.

My grandfather used to have HUGE gardens (1-2 acres). He never tried selling his food (which he probably should have), so he would often come by our house (his daughter and family) and give us 5-10 full paper grocery sacks full of various crops. Usually, though, it was all of the same kind at any given time. Like 7 bags of tomatoes or 8 bags of Acorn squash.

LOL....my mom used to get so annoyed by it because it was more than we could/would eat. I never quite understood why she got so annoyed. Just take it to work and give it to co-workers. When I moved out he did the same for me a few times (not as often because I lived further away), but I didn't mind that he brought me 10 bags of free veggies. I loved it and tried to eat as much as I could and just gave the rest away at work.

• Heart 1

Get a head of cauliflower, wash and break into florets (bite size pieces).  Place on a foil-lined baking sheet (the foil makes clean up easy)  Toss with olive oil (1 - 2 Tblsp) kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Add four to six whole peeled garlic cloves and bake at 375 for 35 to 45 minutes.  Your house is going to smell real good at this point.  If desired, add some shredded parmesan right before serving.

I'll be over for dinner tonight.... 

I do the same thing, everyone here has had something from our garden this year. :)

What are you talking about?  You haven't shared any of your garden bounty with us peeps.  I've even been over several times to mow your lawn and still no veggies.