Cancer Sucks Canine Edition

Airehead

Our five year old dog, Ryan, has a sarcoma on his leg. Cancerous. Shaped like an octopus with poorly defined margins. No treatment gives him three to six months.  Mass removal as best they can plus chemo will give him more time, but with poor margins they will not guess how much more. Amputating the leg will give him the longest life as that will definitely remove the cancer. They do not believe it has  metastasized.  Further biopsy work today and a bunch of other tests. Now we wait. I am numb. Also worried is his God father, Mr. Cheese. 

• Sad 17
  • Hugs 2

I am so sorry to hear this.  It always hurts our heart when our animal family members are hurting.  I know he's getting the best possible care and attention, but that doesn't make it any easier for the people who love him.  Hugs to you all.

• Hugs 1

Sorry to hear this!  That’s pretty young for a dog.  😢 

Prayers for the best possible outcome. Our pets embed themselves in our hearts. And as others have said, he has a spectacular owner who will ensure the best care possible.  

FTR, I’ve known some three legged dogs who’d never know they only had three legs. 

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

15 hours ago, Airehead said:

Our five year old dog, Ryan, has a sarcoma on his leg. Cancerous. Shaped like an octopus with poorly defined margins. No treatment gives him three to six months.  Mass removal as best they can plus chemo will give him more time, but with poor margins they will not guess how much more. Amputating the leg will give him the longest life as that will definitely remove the cancer. They do not believe it has  metastasized.  Further biopsy work today and a bunch of other tests. Now we wait. I am numb. Also worried is his God father, Mr. Cheese. 

Front leg or back leg?  

My dog's best friend had cancer on a back leg, and they had it amputated.  I think the dog died of sadness, having the rear leg removed was too much for him structurally.  Bathroom time was extremely difficult, he just didn't move much at all, either.  Same spot, all day, he even stopped playing with my dog entirely.  Previously they would get mouthy with each other on the ground when they were tired from camping or mountain biking or chasing each other and had to lie down, but they still played before.  I made up my mind never to do that to a dog, especially after hearing a similar story from someone I knew in NC. 

Front leg amputation is different, dogs seem to do better with it.  Those tripod dogs seem to adjust, and while they can't keep up with the other dogs, they seem mostly happy still if not heavier than normal.

I am really sorry to hear this, Aire!  :(

31 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Front leg or back leg?  

My dog's best friend had cancer on a back leg, and they had it amputated.  I think the dog died of sadness, having the rear leg removed was too much for him structurally.  Bathroom time was extremely difficult, he just didn't move much at all, either.  Same spot, all day, he even stopped playing with my dog entirely.  Previously they would get mouthy with each other on the ground when they were tired from camping or mountain biking or chasing each other and had to lie down, but they still played before.  I made up my mind never to do that to a dog, especially after hearing a similar story from someone I knew in NC. 

Front leg amputation is different, dogs seem to do better with it.  Those tripod dogs seem to adjust, and while they can't keep up with the other dogs, they seem mostly happy still if not heavier than normal.

I am really sorry to hear this, Aire!  :(

Back leg. 😕

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, SamWithCheese said:

Aire, so now that you know,  I believe Ryan knows and understands.  How is he doing today,  any changes in his spirit, etc?  

He seems pretty normal. The incision from the look/see is oozing some around the stitches but he is leaving it alone.  None collar needed yet. He is totally annoyed that he has to go outside alone but otherwise they roughhouse and he needs to be quiet and not rub the incision on the fence or another dog or anything. 

• Hugs 2

17 minutes ago, Airehead said:

He seems pretty normal. The incision from the look/see is oozing some around the stitches but he is leaving it alone.  None collar needed yet. He is totally annoyed that he has to go outside alone but otherwise they roughhouse and he needs to be quiet and not rub the incision on the fence or another dog or anything. 

Such a good boy.  :nodhead:  :wub:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1