Wow, just got woken up by what sounded like a gun shot

Ralphie

The Yoder boys that used to live across the road loved fireworks. For about a month before a fireworks Holliday and a month after they were always shooting off fireworks. They moved to the Rome, NY area and the Bylers bought the farm. They only set off fireworks on July 4th but they do a big time display with lots of rockets and aerial displays. They use the field beside my house.

Gunshots are year round. Picking off groundhogs, practice for deer season, and I would guess putting down an animal to butcher. The non-Amish neighbor guy set up a range in his back yard. He likes to shoot semi-automatic weapons. He shoots such rapid fire that I assume no targets were harmed in the gunfire. My third neighbor I’ve never heard a sound from except from their mowers.

Here in rural Hooterville, gun shots are almost an everyday thing. Between the hunters that start firing off at sunrise, to the people firing out into the farm fields during target practice. Seems like there is an uptick in the target practice when there are polarising topics happening in the news too. :rolleyes:

We had a line of storms roll through last night.  High winds, lots of lightning.   One struck so close I swear I heard the thunder before I saw the flash, and then it got very dark in my house.  This confused me, as it appeared the power was off, but it was well above freezing.  Anyway, woke up around 4 am and it was very bright in our bedroom.  The lights mysteriously turned themselves on while we slept. 

Just now, Randomguy said:

It is NJ, so it is probably guns.

It started me reading on gunshot detectors, and one company claims 97% accuracy as far as distinguishing between faarcrackers and backfires, but withoot very transparent presentation of any data. Interesting how there are people in some big cities that monitor them and call the cops if needed within a minute. 

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

It started me reading on gunshot detectors, and one company claims 97% accuracy as far as distinguishing between faarcrackers and backfires, but withoot very transparent presentation of any data. Interesting how there are people in some big cities that monitor them and call the cops if needed within a minute. 

I read something about the big cities doing this in bad neighborhoods, and they said they can find approximate place of the gunshot within maybe 20 yards or so, IIRC.  I guess if you are gonna review security cams, that would be pretty helpful.

I'm separated by a half-mile-wide park from low-cost housing in Baltimore City.  They have a problem with shootings there sometimes, but not often on the county side of our "Brooklyn, MD" community where I live, which we like to distinguish from the city side (pop. 13,000) by calling our county side "Brooklyn Park" (pop. 15,000).

There was a murder in 1906, when a mob dragged a rapist out of jail and hanged him, and not another one until 1987.  Now, murders in Brooklyn Park are still very rare but there are about 8 per year in Brooklyn - about 10x the national per capita avg.

In 1963-4, another 13 year-old and I openly carried a marked money bag that usually had about $300 ($2700 in today's dollars) through a half-mile of the streets and alleys of those lower-than-avg-income city neighborhoods after lunch to the bank for our school's nuns.  No one ever considered we could be in trouble and we never were.  There's a BIG difference today!