100 yr. annivesary for Rembrance Day poppy -from Canada

shootingstar

Since I'm Canadian it's not clear if/how the red poppy symbol is even used at all overseas.   I've never travelled overseas on/near Remberance Day, so I wouldn't know.

It has been here what one buys from Canadian Legion/veterans' groups to wear.

Poppy symbol was inspired by the poem, "In Flander's Field",  written by a CAnadian battlefield surgeon in  WWI m  John McRae Opinion: The Remembrance Day poppy is 100 years old in Canada. Our attitudes to war and peace must keep evolving with it - The Globe and Mail  It is a  poem I learned as a school child long ago. So I've forgotten how long the poppy symbol has been around for us.

The red poppy symbol for Rembrance Day was taken initially up by a French activist, then idea brought to Canada, etc.

When dearie was solo cycling in France, he did without planning it pass by Vimy Ridge where there is an enormous huge Canadian war memorial statute and enormous graveyard burial site. He didn't have time to stop or ride up to the statute, but he suddenly realized where he was. 

• Heart 3

Armistice Day became Veteran’s Day in 1954. It’s a day set apart to honor all who served in the military, including living veterans. 
Memorial Day in May is when we wear and post the red poppy in the US, a demonstration of regard for those who died while fighting. The American Legion website explains. 
https://www.legion.org/poppyday/history

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Armistice Day became Veteran’s Day in 1954. It’s a day set apart to honor all who served in the military, including living veterans. 
Memorial Day in May is when we wear and post the red poppy in the US, a demonstration of regard for those who died while fighting. The American Legion website explains. 
https://www.legion.org/poppyday/history

Thanks MoseySusan. 

So Dr. McCrae's poem is ....adopted internationally for same purpose.

Though I didn't plan it, I went cycling today into the western parkland..which the bike path runs along Memorial Drive downtown...it was named many decades ago for the war vets. In the median of the 4 lane road are trees and  planters where annually red poppies grow late summer into fall. Memorial Dr. ends...at Poppy Plaza a year round little wood plank plaza to sit by/hang out by Bow River, ..just past the red Peace Bridge.  These are year round permanent architectural structures and infrastructure  by a blue  sparking glacial river that flows from the  Rocky Mountains. It is a peaceful view for reflection.

I came back from bike ride, there was Remembrance Day service outdoors by a park field along Memorial Dr. where all car traffic was closed. At 11:00, 2 jets flew  low  over the site..... this  is downtown Calgary.

3 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I remember buying red poppies but I believe it was around memorial day :dontknow:

Our VFW has a fund raiser around Memorial Day and they give a red poppy for donations.  I think the British use red poppies as a symbol as well.  I recall some installation of ceramic poppies at the Tower of London

• Heart 1

I live just down the road from Mona Michael’s home. The DoT used to plant poppies along the highways. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moina_Michael

Moina Belle Michael (August 15, 1869 – May 10, 1944) was an American professor and humanitarian who conceived the idea of using poppies as a symbol of remembrance for those who served in World War I.”

• Heart 2