How was your childhood?

sheep_herder

Mine was fine. Up until I was 14 when my dad died it was a typical childhood. My parents were strict but they did give us lots of freedom to go on outdoor adventures. We didn’t live lavishly but didn’t want for anything either. 

After my dad died my mom pretty much checked out and lived in Holland 4 months of the year. Times were tight financially and she pretty much left me to my own devices.  I surfed a lot, rode my bike and basically meandered along my HS years with no direction. 

• Hugs 2

22 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Mine was fine. Up until I was 14 when my dad died it was a typical childhood. My parents were strict but they did give us lots of freedom to go on outdoor adventures. We didn’t live lavishly but didn’t want for anything either. 

After my dad died my mom pretty much checked out and lived in Holland 4 months of the year. Times were tight financially and she pretty much left me to my own devices.  I surfed a lot, rode my bike and basically meandered along my HS years with no direction. 

Sounds familiar 

Dad died when I was 13. Mom got a boyfriend and wasn't around much so I raced around on my motorcycle, rode my bicycle, sometimes I went to school.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

18 hours ago, Kirby said:

Some people might not think growing up in a 2 bedroom apartment in the city was ideal, but it was a wonderful neighborhood and since my Mom was a teacher and had lived in the same 2 block region since she was a kid, we knew everyone in our neighborhood. We never really knew the things we didn't have.  But most importantly, I always knew that my parents loved me and they made their kids and family a priority.  I feel very lucky.

You were very lucky. What a wonderful way to grow up. I bet there is a book in it. 

36 minutes ago, Airehead said:

You were very lucky. What a wonderful way to grow up. I bet there is a book in it. 

My Mom grew up in a house two blocks away.  They lived in the upper part of a 2 family house with a family of 7.  My uncle grew up to be an English professor in California and was a wonderful storyteller. He recorded  a number of tapes with stories from their childhood as a gift to his wife and kids - to help them understand his background but he sent a copy to my Mom as well.   I was very happy to find those old tapes when my Mom was moving to the apartment after my Dad died.  I was able to have them copied onto dvd's and my Mom loved listening to them all over again   She not only loved reliving those memories, but loved hearing her brother's voice again.

• Heart 4

We were the poorest family on the block: no car, no gloves some winters, very few vacations, spread the jam thin so the jar will last, etc.

But most of the time we weren't miserable: we had loving and supportive parents.

I had to give up high school sports to get a job and save enough money to get a $300 used car so I could commute to college.

When I got a job on campus doing chemistry research after my sophomore year, life was much less stressful since I could fit my working hours between classes.  And I was in a clique of friends on campus that made life very pleasant.

After I finished grad school, my parents had emerged from poverty.

In some ways, growing up poor made me appreciate money more and my sister, brother, and I all ended up with decent jobs and are comfortable in retirement or headed for the same.

• Heart 1

On 11/13/2021 at 10:57 PM, petitepedal said:

My mom was a single parent...(divorced) felt she was "marked"..by the time I was in 8th grade, my sister had mental health issues...I survived..my mom died when I was 23( my absent dad died a few days after my 18th birthday.)

You didn't just survive, you built on those experiences to become one of the most caring and generous people I know with an open heart for everyone you encounter. I'm always impressed by the connections you've made with people in the building, people at work and even friends on the forum.

• Awesome 1