Do you think The Green Mile was Tom Hanks attempt to surpass the success of The Shawshank Redemption

AirwickWithCheese

10 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I've not seen either

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

What?  EVERYONE has seen Shawshank Redemption, I am pretty darn sure. I have not seen Green Mile. 

If no one has seen Green Mile obviously he failed.  It doesn't seem to be a television darling either. 

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

I believe Tom Hanks just is. He operates in the moment and excels in each. This precludes the possibility of being undermined by expired or potential future events.

Ralph gave you a like so even though I'm still confused you deserve a like.   :)

Both movies show the strength of Stephen King's prison stories (and other stories) when the focus on human nature is the at the top and less on the supernatural.  His supernatural stuff is a little too hard to put on the screen and why Carrie, Christine, Cujo, and a couple others are really good but rarer than some of his bigger budget "Mehs" like It or The Stand. 

I'd say Hanks & GM almost matched Shawshank, but Shawshank was a little better overall (more surprising or overlooked originally).

7 hours ago, SamWithCheese said:

More....

Tom Hanks was offered the role of Andy Dufresne but was busy filming Forrest Gump. 

Forrest Gump beat Shawshank for the Oscar in '94. 

Thank god for small miracles.  Hanks is good but some roles he messes up.  Sully for one and having him in Shawshank would be a film killer. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1