Local paper, racist cartoonist

Square Wheels

BOSTON — A Boston Herald statement says the paper “sincerely regret if we inadvertently offended anyone” with an editorial cartoon criticized by many for racist connotations.

The cartoon, which appeared in Wednesday’s paper, references the controversy over the White House intruder, who’s been indicted for jumping a fence and eluding security guards.

The cartoon features the intruder in a bathtub behind President Obama, who’s brushing his teeth. The intruder says, “Have you tried the new watermelon flavored toothpaste?”

Watermelon has racist connotations for many African-Americans.

“Contributors to our Editorial and Opinion pages have the right to express their views, and satire is clearly used in Jerry Holbert’s cartoon today,” the Herald said in a statement. “That said, we sincerely regret if we inadvertently offended anyone and extend our sincere apologies.”

Interviewed on Herald Radio Wednesday morning, Holbert called himself “naive.” He said his son’s girlfriend’s toothpaste was watermelon-flavored, and that’s why he used it in the cartoon, and he “didn’t think about it at all.” He also apologized for offending anyone.

He said on Tuesday night, his national cartoon syndicate asked him to change watermelon to another flavor, but that version did not appear in the Herald Wednesday morning. The updated version, with raspberry-flavored toothpaste, appears on GoComics.com.

1001_herald-cartoon.jpg

Wow, this is some racist stuff:

But that is why I wanted to follow the link the Herald provided about the fence jumper.  I wanted to see what the jumper's motivation was.  If the guy was a teabagging birther then the watermelon toothpaste comment would be consistent with his beliefs and poignant commentary.  On the other hand, if the jumper was just a thrill seeker then the watermelon comment would be unnecessary and racist.

But that is why I wanted to follow the link the Herald provided about the fence jumper.  I wanted to see what the jumper's motivation was.  If the guy was a teabagging birther then the watermelon toothpaste comment would be consistent with his beliefs and poignant commentary.  On the other hand, if the jumper was just a thrill seeker then the watermelon comment would be unnecessary and racist.

According to the cartoonist, the motivation of the fence jumper had absolutely nothing to do with it.

He said his son’s girlfriend’s toothpaste was watermelon-flavored, and that’s why he used it in the cartoon, and he “didn’t think about it at all.” He also apologized for offending anyone.