Why not work well past retirement age?

Wilbur

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Why not work well past retirement age?

Some people work to live, some live to work.  Really depends for sure.  There are sayings like, "No one ever is on their death bed and wishes they spent more time in the office.", but there is also the "Choose an occupation that you love and you'll never work a day in your life" sort of stuff.

I'm 100% in the "if not now, when?" and "you can't take it with you" camp.  I find no reason to spend any time earning money I don't need, but obviously, if someone said, "I'll pay you to hike in the Alps for a month", I'd take the $$$.  Or even just let them cover expenses :)

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Well, for one thing, I may start losing fingers and other body parts. And then there is the risk to others that depend on me to not fuck things up when I work on their stuff.

Operating the stapler and the three hole punch is a BIG responsibility, Don.  You still have a few good years in you!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I operated a forging press 10+ years longer than anyone had previously been able to do. I didn’t want to push my luck. I wanted time for long bike rides and kayak trips. Usually the shoulders gave out on press operators. I think my shoulders were still good when I retired but a few bike crashes is what messed them up.

Effing deer. 

• Confused 1

Sometimes you just know when you are done with a job. I had nothing major against the last job. I just want a new location while I still can do what I want to do there. Hence the job change. Even if I enjoy the job, I still hope to retire when Medicare kicks in. I want to be able to hop on my bike or take WoW,  our Miata and a camera on a road trip when the mood strikes without working around work schedules. 
My parents went down to Brazil a few times. The first time was supposed to be a 2 week trip. My brother was to pick them up at O’Hare. Their flight arrived and they were not there. We finally tracked them down and found they had extended their trip for a week. They just forgot to let my brother know. 
One time they called and said they were going to be gone for a couple weeks. Ok. Where are you going? “South….and West…. Just call Aunt Jan if you need us!” This we prior to cell phones being as ubiquitous as they are now. 
I look forward to that freedom when we retire. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

I enjoy my job, but it's not something I would do just for fun.  And lately the stress level has been quite high.  So when it's time to retire. I'll have no problem leaving.

Then probably find another job just to keep busy.  My wife loves her job, it's more of a vocation, she's not retiring until she has to.

Besides, we can't afford to retire just yet.  I want to enjoy my retirement, not worry about paying the bills and eating.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

I would have preferred to keep teaching, but my struggle to remember names and finish sentences was getting in the way of being good at the job. One-to-one, I’m ok. I prefer tutoring to whole-class management. 
After this sabbatical, I’ll start recording myself reading classic novels and post the recordings on the web. I love reading aloud. 

I am glad you are aware of that out loud part.  That was a big surprise to me.  

56 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Being the youngest in my family I’m often asked by my older siblings & in laws if I’m retiring soon.  I try to remind them I’m late 50’s, not late 60’s like many of them (the oldest three are in their 70’s) and am not ready to retire. 

They then go damn that’s right, I’m freaking old… I had one BIL lose his shit at my 50th Bday party.  Shit if “Chrissy” is 50 than I’m really old.  Yes, yes you are…

I have a older brother that's 63 and he wasn't happy when I retired. He didn't talk to me for about 6 months. We didn't talk much before but it was even less when I retired. 

My sister just says since you have so much money that you can retire why don't you give me some. 

• Hugs 1

There is an old saying that people retire when they have enough and they've had enough.  If you have a job that you enjoy and that gives you a good work life balance, then I can see wanting to stay on as long as you're still enjoying it. But most jobs don't have a lot of flexibility on hours or the working conditions create stress that eventually takes a toll.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

There is an old saying that people retire when they have enough and they've had enough.  If you have a job that you enjoy and that gives you a good work life balance, then I can see wanting to stay on as long as you're still enjoying it. But most jobs don't have a lot of flexibility on hours or the working conditions create stress that eventually takes a toll.

This ^^^

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I would have preferred to keep teaching, but my struggle to remember names and finish sentences was getting in the way of being good at the job. One-to-one, I’m ok. I prefer tutoring to whole-class management. 
After this sabbatical, I’ll start recording myself reading classic novels and post the recordings on the web. I love reading aloud. 

While a FTE job can keep a brain sharp, there are little things  one begins to notice that's super annoying now in oneself. I'd rather be self-aware and know when to step away and allow the  next generation of folks to deal with the multiple soccer balls thrown at them simultaneously.  Now at some staff  meetings, sometimes I'm a bit more cavalier in my comments. I better be careful before I'm classed as the crazy old gal. Really, I don't know why my colleagues are so afraid to give their opinion and offer a solution.  They are around my age!!

Isn't getting older, on the good side, means less afraid of voicing your opinion? As long as you  graciously offer a solution/compliment.

• Heart 1

I feel like my health is what would actually stop me. But I’ve prayed since before I was married to always be able to supply for my family. Whatever that looks like is what will be.  

Work hasn’t always been a bed of roses. But I have enjoyed learning all the things I have along the way. And I have always enjoyed the interactions and friendships I’ve developed. 

My desire is that what I do makes a positive difference. 

Peace

• Heart 4

Lots o' good thoughts here.  One factor for me is I don't deal well with change unless it is overwhelmingly positive, and getting my last paycheck ever freaks me out just a tad, no matter how much I have saved because things like this sudden inflation can always pop up.  But the other factors are also in play like how long my health holds up, that a desk job with 3 hours of commuting leaves me way short of adequate exercise and free time, yada yada yada. My job is full of new stuff like Wilbur's, but also like Mosey Susan I can feel myself slowing down, and I was never fast to begin with! 

• Heart 3

6 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

LibriVox or Access News could use your reading ability. 

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

My former coworker was 79 ..and not keeping up....I am within the age requirements to move in where I work..but I have vowed..70 is the absolute latest I will work..but I am now trying for 68....although 66 & 8 months qualifies me. 

However...if @Wilbur needs a stewardess....I'm in :D....my job has no travel perks

I am sort of with you on the time frame.  66-68-ish. 

IF you love your work and can continue doing it, it's a great thing to keep working.

Of course, there are reasons to not want to work - especially if you have other things that keep you active.

When I was working my way through college, I did not resent the rich kids who could pursue majors that fulfilled their passions without having to worry about whether or not it would pay the mortgage.

I envied them and decided I was going to be like them when I retired.

I wanted to be "independently wealthy," not rich but well-off enough that I could explore my interests.

I wanted to begin studying piano, dig into history, travel, and do other things I didn't have time to do while working and was too poor to do as a kid.

So when leg problems induced me to retire at 56 and I realized I had reach the conditions I had envisioned to act like those "rich kids," I retired from work and began to do those other things.

The biggest reason not working past retirement age...lucky to get to it. I know so many people who were pushed out around 55 by the younger "gotta have it now" generation hoping to free up promotions for themselves. Nowhere near the experience or insight for the position...but over-extended with the big mortgage and have the bills to pay, so conspire to kick out older more senior workers.

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

The biggest reason not working past retirement age...lucky to get to it. I know so many people who were pushed out around 55 by the younger "gotta have it now" generation hoping to free up promotions for themselves. Nowhere near the experience or insight for the position...but over-extended with the big mortgage and have the bills to pay, so conspire to kick out older more senior workers.

We had a woman, 66, die one day before she was due to retaar.  That was an eye opener.

I honestly just don't like my job enough.  Maybe I will feel different once the kids are out of the house.  I plan to retire, but semi-retire.  I will prob do some travel nursing here and there.  Live out of the camper for a bit.  Of course it will have to be a bigger one...

• Awesome 1

On 11/16/2021 at 8:26 AM, Wilbur said:

People are always asking when I plan to retire.  I don't.  Why would I?  I have a job that I love doing.  It is always changing, often challenging and it involves cutting edge technological advancements.  

Look at musicians.  The Rolling Stones certainly have no financial need to work but they love what they do and are happiest when doing it. 

In my case, health will determine my length of years as a pilot.  So, there will come a time but hopefully not too soon.  I am still having too much fun. 

Just look better than Kieth Richards when doing it. 

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I honestly just don't like my job enough.  Maybe I will feel different once the kids are out of the house.  I plan to retire, but semi-retire.  I will prob do some travel nursing here and there.  Live out of the camper for a bit.  Of course it will have to be a bigger one...

I have burned oot and relit myself a few times. :D The last 10 years I have had first neutral and now awesome bosses so that goes a heck of a long way toward ameliorating burnoot. :)

I am on the fence aboot the sem-retaarment thing.  Somedays I figure maybe two days a week of work would be good, and on others I say Phuket.  What I do need is a second act.  I would like to do something with helping olde phartes who might have some dementia find ways to deal with it.  I have always been interested in good design and such, you know, like the opposite of voice mail hell and such.  My dream job has always been a think tank. :)  But too often I try to think and nothing happens! :(

• Heart 2

31 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

We had a woman, 66, die one day before she was due to retaar.  That was an eye opener.

Similar happened to my BIL.

But he was obese, heart and other health problems, and suspect he knew was imminent. A couple weeks earlier, he created a slideshow on his life as a memorial.

6 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Don't tell me that shit!  I will never retaar!

Working at a desk job and then paying people to do stuff is probably easier than trying to do it all yourself.  If you have a lot to do.  Mostly around the house, I mean.  

I could easily work 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week, in my yard, garage, vehicles, bicycles, household chores, etc

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Working at a desk job and then paying people to do stuff is probably easier than trying to do it all yourself.  If you have a lot to do.  Mostly around the house, I mean.  

I could easily work 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week, in my yard, garage, vehicles, bicycles, household chores, etc

I am of course quite familiar with returning to work after a day or two off to recover. :D

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I had a good friend in my office die shortly after he retired at the ripe old age of 55 from skin cancer (melanoma) on his back.  Please, everyone keep an eye on your back for suspicious moles!

Partly as a result of my friend's early death, I decided to retire as soon as I became eligible, just to assure that I would be able to enjoy at least a few years of retirement before I, too, kicked the bucket.

I have now been retired for 18 years.

Did you ever miss work?

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

Did you ever miss work?

No.  I already had a bunch of extensive home projects that I had been putting off.  That was also about the time that I started a new hobby of bicycle riding.  It sounds strange, I know, but cycling can be fun, healthy, time consuming, and very rewarding, even.  :)

It can also be dangerous for those of us who are accident prone.  :(

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Did you ever miss work?

I also think that most of us have jobs where parts of the job, we love and might would like to keep doing.  But other parts of the job are a royal pain in the ass and we would cherish not having to do those things anymore.  So I think the bad stuff going away tends to offset the loss of the good stuff when we retire.  :)

Just eliminating getting up at 4:30 AM each morning and the 30 mile heavy commute each way were huge factors in making sure I did not miss working.  :)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I also think that most of us have jobs where parts of the job, we love and might would like to keep doing.  But other parts of the job are a royal pain in the ass and we would cherish not having to do those things anymore.  So I think the bad stuff going away tends to offset the loss of the good stuff when we retire.  :)

Just eliminating getting up at 4:30 AM each morning and the 30 mile heavy commute each way were huge factors in making sure I did not miss working.  :)

Yuppers, that is the worst part for me too. And the corporate bullshit too of course. 

• Heart 1