Widow maker down

Allen

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

I love Ford Rangers by the way.  Great little truck.  Wish someone still built a basic simple truck without all the bells and whistles.

Unpossible.  You need a manly truck with air, 20 speaker stereo, power adjust heated seats.

Hell, without all the bells and whistles you might break a fingernail.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I have one of those next to a foot path.  It has a dead limb hanging in a crotch up near the top.  WoKzoo wants me to cut it.  I'l not touching it until that limb comes down on its own.  I've been waiting for 3 years now.  If I put a chainsaw to that trunk, that limb will be on me in a New York minute.

10 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I have one of those next to a foot path.  It has a dead limb hanging in a crotch up near the top.  WoKzoo wants me to cut it.  I'l not touching it until that limb comes down on its own.  I've been waiting for 3 years now.  If I put a chainsaw to that trunk, that limb will be on me in a New York minute.

I would get out the boom stick and go to town on that hanger.

Or get a toss bag, some line and a sling shot.

• Awesome 1

17 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I had a dead maple tree with three, 1+' diameter vase-like trunks, each 20+ feet tall.

I decided to cut them down and carefully tied ropes of specific lengths to another tree so that when the first trunk fell, it would fall far from my back porch.

It missed porch by 2 feet!

The 2nd one fell on it's one, hitting the fence and falling out into the road.  I cut the trunk up with a chain saw and was able straighten out the top bar of the fence.

For about two years, I kept putting off cutting the last trunk.  I was hanging over my neighbor's garage.  One day, driving home down the street, I could see that the trunk was no longer standing up in the air.  With a sick feeling in the stomach I drove home, parked the car, and rushed to the tree to inspect the damage.

Somehow - apparently a combination of wind and which part of the trunk failed first, the trunk not only missed the garage, it fell just inside my side of the fence!

After the house fire, I paid to have the bottom of the trunk removed (about 4' in diameter) and the last remaining maple tree removed.  I'm thinking of planting semi-dwarf sized trees in the future and building a trellis to hold grape vines above a picnic table.