Largest 3-D print order to date

goldendesign

20211117_135519.thumb.jpg.a19f6f283266b67ab4a5674e950af25d.jpgZ12o9csC8sCJQfC_ffeuNzg72yNl2PX9uu4L8MLYh0EZHzlWMUE9OIS2XMVgceMtx4aFuZoJ72csF--knyvNNG_BP2iZLSIHXEfUS9s8nRg89c9IRT7wfADhSuF4IcF3mruzh07qmXf_BI2igPUFOctGcNtQx_Tf2m8kdbZUbQl1HM026q22khEXN_RP2zPkjLsgf4UYa8sFrgbOHGqnOgr6OhbynCJ74VnGNcXyu1vRr1k9yZms90Tjrhs25G9ZlFrg2zyLWUKymoD9QZJutLHru9C6R9TQUMgYEDAw8DxnI6-6KYmQrTyFpvwGfZbMwd3BhsPJfAwiA8rdEjPDiOAFO3YwPJb_MSYPsB7Acmv_lyGpfQmor5SqlZNp-qiSxzTINqYfeRLs3fw_k_0LwuohCmKNcyfqzcnu0RKMimXQdlgkquPM3bbhTrd-NfHe6DP3fHA1o0V3ddV_luDVkEOW2mbtqzStAGU8xNibYlSIlER7NtkymWtm7QQVWVqDXxnjZ_w3UvpjiIFPGlh0y28TnLZ2JH3P2p4wuTnRwSY1w84u2HamikxchVqylyZteD60b5j76BVKZn3cY--Jvb94V6i4C1wccUdO99b0GfOHbuJAe_2hf8wetJyDK9vWfVwvdZ1CUzaEtPTKRFftTOAWsobvO9f9rWYVoaBaqdegDSXh_fnXsysr-OanCpt4BP4-gRfIaWPSh0WAFIqIu_lIHw=w1250-h937-no?authuser=1

Over 2.5kg of material, almost 8 days of constantly printing 24/7, three model redesigns (using someone else's models blows). 

It's for a "Videogame Museum" which is a cool videogame themed bar in Texas. They contacted me for two designs I own the licenses on, I printed those easy peezy for them at a reasonable rate and then they just hit me with a request for a very large order.

Things I've learned;
I am not a 3-D print shop nor do I want to be one right now. The machine I have is definitely nicer than just hobby grade (it is hobby grade, just highly customized over the years) but not professional grade. Because of this the print times are longer and the build volume is smaller. My neighbor has 16 professional grade printers including some very very specialized machines in his house and I do not want to compete with his level.
This was fun and all but in general I will charge a whole hell of a lot more in the future should something like this land in my lap again. I spent way too much time post processing and tweaking settings across multiple days to get this to complete in a normal time frame

• Heart 2

35 minutes ago, Zealot said:

What is it?

6 wall mounted game racks, holds the DVD like game boxes for Playstation and XBOX games, PS3 & PS2 fat wall mount, PS4 external HDD wall mount, router wall mount (sensing a theme?) And 9 nagalene style coasters with Playstation logos embedded in a secondary color (gold silk).

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Frisco Texas is just up the road from me.

Yeah they have a pretty cool assortment of stuff and they're displays look top notch from the web. No idea why they felt I was the man for the job. But hey. I like money and money can be exchanged for goods and services so this worked out 

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Zealot said:

how does 3D printing work?

I use a FDM printer, fused deposition modeling, basically a hot glue gun end with a 3 axis of printing.

The hot glue end lays down layers of material, plastic based ( I use PLA, PETG, Wood enfused, and ABS), in "slices" of varying accuracy. I typically print in layer heights of .04 for industrial and .01mm for fine presentation pieces. 

Other printer technologies can print in resin, metal, ceramics, and even concrete. 

Edited by goldendesign
  • Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

I use a FDM printer, fused deposition modeling, basically a hot glue gun end with a 3 axis of printing.

The hot glue end lays down layers of material, plastic based ( I use PLA, PETG, Wood enfused, and ABS), in "slices" of varying accuracy. I typically print in layer heights of .04 for industrial and .01mm for fine presentation pieces. 

Other printer technologies can print in resin, metal, ceramics, and even concrete. 

😮 I had no idea. 

• Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

love hate relationship

I've spend an inordinate amount of time dialing in and customizing my printer. I've probably have another 250-300 invested in a 250 printer. Improved stabilizers (x,y,z), all metal hot end, improved cooling, glass bed, auto leveler, high performance firmware, silent board modification.

Never tried to print a perfect ball in a single print. I did make shelled moon halves for lamps that were pretty round when assembled. 

The only suggestions I can have is be intimate with your printers bridging, raft, and support generation capabilities. This decides how you'd setup a print in the slicer. Every new roll goes through a series of stress test prints. A temp bar, bridge test, calibration cube and a bench. Since material can effect prints heavily this let's me "zero" my settings based on how the material reacted to my baselines since I've printed hundreds and hundreds of the tests.

• Heart 1