Do you know your mail delivery person?

jsharr

I almost posted the archaic and gendered version of this persons title, but refrained?

I used to know mine, sort of.  Vietnam vet named Bear.  He retired a few years back and I have not really met his replacement.  Seems to change pretty often now, but I am seldom home when the mail delivers.

I do not even know when the mail delivers to my house, do you when yours delivers?

Just now, jsharr said:

I almost posted the archaic and gendered version of this persons title, but refrained?

I used to know mine, sort of.  Vietnam vet named Bear.  He retired a few years back and I have not really met his replacement.  Seems to change pretty often now, but I am seldom home when the mail delivers.

I do not even know when the mail delivers to my house, do you when yours delivers?

I've had the same asian guy for many years.  No idea his name, but I say hi when I see him.  It's not like when I was a kid and the postal carrier :) came up the door and plopped the mail in the box.  That guy used to chat with my mom or dad, knew the dogs, and probably read our mail.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Nice young man, and we visit sometimes when he brings things to the gate. Our mailbox is around the corner on another street. He often inquires about the critters and still asks about Redhead, the Corgi that was stolen. He normally delivers late morning, but when he is gone the mail is delivered much later in the day.

I don't know mine, but since I've been working from home, I know when mail is delivered.  My mail goes to a mailbox at the end of the cul de sac, so they don't come up to my home unless there are packages too big to fit in the mailbox.

We had the same lady for many years, when she retired there has been a constantly changing stream of people delivering our mail. It used to be if you could land a job with the post office you kept it for life but I guess now there are other jobs available that pay well and are more desirable. I think the person we have now only delivers mail every other day or so. My mailbox will be full one day the next day it will be empty. The following day full again. 

Our long time mail carrier was also a local resident so everyone knew Laurie. We would often see her while walking our dogs.  She retired & moved and it’s been a revolving door with mail carriers. 

I talk to the mail carrier at work often.  He’s about my age, retired Navy and an avid mountain biker so we have a lot in common. 

Turnover is too fast with the residential mail delivery.  Seems like it is a new person every month. I do wave to them and say high, though.

Now, the local post office, I know the 3 people who man the counter as well as several who retired in the past couple of years. It is weird seeing them in other settings like the grocery store.

I am on a route where the delivery person has to walk instead of drive, so no one wants a route like that.  Different person every day, probably several hundred carriers in the years I have lived at my current location, all of them disgruntled.

the most I know about my driver is his name... it's written on the inside door of my mailbox. I don't know who put it there, but it also has our last name on it.. guessing it is for them to not deliver the neighbors mail at our house... well... it really doesn't work out too well that way either.

At work..we had Jeff..the we had Tim..mail was always in between 9 and 10..sometimes they would pop into mens coffee for a cup..and a cookie before going on..when Tim retired Peggy one of our subs absolutely wanted our route..but she was beat out by some guy who had never delivered to our place..he had about 2 months seniority over Peggy..after about a month or 6 weeks..the switched things up and we became an auxiliary route..always different..I am not sure all of them can read or know the alphabet..or numbers...been about 5 years since we have had a decent mail carrier..and it now mostly arrives after I have left for the day.