Thank you, Sunshine Committee!

MoseySusan

13 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I bet you wouldn't break a nail with this bad boy.

main-qimg-23ff2c9e22ff4033ced80b350ca02b

...I once wandered around the marketplace that lines some streets in Juarez, asking to look at their "automatic" knives, because every place I ever lived, we were all certain that every guy with a Hispanic surname carried a switchblade in his boot.  They used to be surprisingly difficult to obtain here in California...I don't know about now. The variety of versions available in Juarez was truly impressive.

I bought three and smuggled them across the border. Gave them all to the people on my fire dept crew.

• Awesome 2

40 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

The proper term would be ‘multi’ - a multi-bladed knife.  We understand that you have been retired from your mission of forcing proper Engrish into little minds of mush, so you are excused.

We are both above Engrish teacher reproach. My dad’s knife, as well as all five knives my brothers received, had only one blade. This one has exponentially more blades than one. 
It’s a multi-bladed knife with exponentially more blades than my dad’s.  Except I don’t know what the actual exponent would be. So…yah.

• Heart 2
  • Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I have seen more usefulness from a prison shank. 
But at least yours looks a tad more professionally made. 

You don’t think I could open an envelope or cut through packing tape with one of those blades? Maybe pry a splinter out of a finger? Cut the foil off the top of a wine bottle? 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I once wandered around the marketplace that lines some streets in Juarez, asking to look at their "automatic" knives, because every place I ever lived, we were all certain that every guy with a Hispanic surname carried a switchblade in his boot.  They used to be surprisingly difficult to obtain here in California...I don't know about now. The variety of versions available in Juarez was truly impressive.

I bought three and smuggled them across the border. Gave them all to the people on my fire dept crew.

As a child and probably the approximate time you went to Juarez (early 70’s) my family used to go to TJ fairly often. My oldest sisters husband used to buy a bunch of switchblades. Of course we wanted one too so my dad bought my brother & I these mini switchblades on a keychain.  We busted them off the keychain & thought we were so cool.  

• Heart 3

BTW, I have found with use and the judicious application of a minute amount of lubricant at the hinge points, folding knives become easier to open.

Also, just sitting around opening and closing a knife within view of others can help instill a proper amount of respect.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Also, just sitting around opening and closing a knife within view of others can help instill a proper amount of respect.

:huh: My dad would never do that. Besides, someone might get the idea that I was itching to make sandwiches. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, jsharr said:

Maybe you need a spring assisted knife?  Still that is pretty cool.  With that girl power note I’m gonna blame Airehead for this one

I am in favor of girl power.  I did nto send the knife.  I do wish that I had thought of it.

So glad you now have this @MoseySusan

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

:huh: My dad would never do that. Besides, someone might get the idea that I was itching to make sandwiches. 

To me it is sort of like breaking in a baseball glove.  Just sit in a chair, watching baseball on tv and throwing a ball into to glove to help form the pocket in the webbing.   Also, this is your knife.  As long as you use it safely, you can use it as you wish.  

I would be glad to help you earn your Scouts BSA Totin' Chip.

https://scoutsmarts.com/totin-chip-guide/

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am in favor of girl power.  I did nto send the knife.  I do wish that I had thought of it.

So glad you now have this @MoseySusan

So who is to blame?  @Dirtyhip? @Kirby? @petitepedal?

You know who spends a lot of time in nature and working with wood?  @smudge!!!  I blame Smudge

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

You don’t think I could open an envelope or cut through packing tape with one of those blades? Maybe pry a splinter out of a finger? Cut the foil off the top of a wine bottle? 

I don’t know.. I got a setup just like that one, but a lot older.. it’s duller than Squarewheels personality. A blade of grass will dull that thing faster then you know it. 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

BTW, I have found with use and the judicious application of a minute amount of lubricant at the hinge points, folding knives become easier to open.

Back in the day I learned from more experienced guys to put a folding blade under the left shoulder strap of your body armor.  Amazing how quickly you can deploy a blade placed there.

I once responded to a bad traffic accident and we didn’t have those fancy seatbelt cutter tools then.  The blade sure came in handy and came out quickly! 

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Back in the day I learned from more experienced guys to put a folding blade under the left shoulder strap of your body armor.  Amazing how quickly you can deploy a blade placed there.

I once responded to a bad traffic accident and we didn’t have those fancy seatbelt cutter tools then.  The blade sure came in handy and came out quickly! 

I am not sure the sunshine committee is going to be sending MoseySusan any body armor.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't even think you could send knives through the mail.  It seems dangerous.  Not me.

Of course that's the sort of thing someone who would send a knife might say to confuse you, but it still wasn't me.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I wouldn't even think you could send knives through the mail.  It seems dangerous.  Not me.

Of course that's the sort of thing someone who would send a knife might say to confuse you, but it still wasn't me.

My son has several knives he has purchased online.  Apparently you can ship knives. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Did it come with a coin? When sending a knife as a gift, you should include a coin so as to not "cut" the friendship...or something like that.

I think Mosey owes the SSC a coin actually.

https://www.opinel.com/en/opinel-et-moi/news/why-do-we-give-somebody-coin-when-they-give-us-knife-gift

6 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Did it come with a coin? When sending a knife as a gift, you should include a coin so as to not "cut" the friendship...or something like that.

No. And the coin is supposed to be given back to the giver by the receiver of the knife. So, I will need to know who to send a dime to ASAP, at the risk of severing our friendship. (My dad attached a dime to the knives.) 

• Haha 1