Sloop season has started

Razors Edge
Go to solution Solved by donkpow,

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

Well, look. You either know or you don't. Wishy-washy comments don't cut it here, mister.

Any boat with more than one head stay, or capable of carrying a headsail and a stay sail in front of the mast is not a sloop.  I cannot make out the detail on the boats in the back or the boat to windward, so I cannot speak on every boat in that picture, but of the ones I can see, they are all cutters.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Any boat with more than one head stay, or capable of carrying a headsail and a stay sail in front of the mast is not a sloop.  I cannot make out the detail on the boats in the back or the boat to windward, so I cannot speak on every boat in that picture, but of the ones I can see, they are all cutters.

Wikipedia is always looking for new editors and content writers!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, jsharr said:

a sloop carries one headsail.  A cutter carries two or more.  I can call my Chrsyler 300 a sports car, but that does not make it one.

Man, you should correct the main Wikipedia entry for sloops as well!

A sloop is a sailboat with a single mast[1] typically having only one headsail in front of the mast and one mainsail aft of (behind) the mast.[note 1] Such an arrangement is called a fore-and-aft rig, and can be rigged as a Bermuda rig with triangular sails fore and aft, or as a gaff-rig with triangular foresail(s) and a gaff rigged mainsail. Sailboats can be classified according to type of rig, and so a sailboat may be a sloop, catboat, cutter, ketch, yawl, or schooner.[2] A sloop usually has only one headsail, although an exception is the Friendship sloop, which is usually gaff-rigged with a bowsprit and multiple headsails.[3] If the vessel has two or more headsails, the term cutter may be used,[4] especially if the mast is stepped further towards the back of the boat.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Man, you should correct the main Wikipedia entry for sloops as well!

A sloop is a sailboat with a single mast[1] typically having only one headsail in front of the mast and one mainsail aft of (behind) the mast.[note 1] Such an arrangement is called a fore-and-aft rig, and can be rigged as a Bermuda rig with triangular sails fore and aft, or as a gaff-rig with triangular foresail(s) and a gaff rigged mainsail. Sailboats can be classified according to type of rig, and so a sailboat may be a sloop, catboat, cutter, ketch, yawl, or schooner.[2] A sloop usually has only one headsail, although an exception is the Friendship sloop, which is usually gaff-rigged with a bowsprit and multiple headsails.[3] If the vessel has two or more headsails, the term cutter may be used,[4] especially if the mast is stepped further towards the back of the boat.

so I can make an exception and say you are not a dolt, but does that make it so?

Just now, jsharr said:

so I can make an exception and say you are not a dolt, but does that make it so?

Submit it to wiki! I'm just the one posting where my parody came from! You're the one posting opposition to WIKIPEDIA's expertise!!!!

Just score the darn Parody a 10.00 and move on!

Just now, donkpow said:

That's just how rich people do things. :dontknow:

It makes sense a Texan never wants to visit Maine.  Folks from Maine speak softly and carry BIG sticks.  Folks from Texas speak loudly and carry big ticks! 

Take a look at this bad Texan!

Amblyomma_americanum_tick.jpg