Everyone is an art critic

jsharr

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

This piece of art stands at the corner of Custer and the George Bush tollway. I have named it “would you like fries with that?”  I think they are going to build the First Church of McDonald’s there.

I don't get the nickname.  :(  I don't see the "arches" of a McDonalds, and if I stretch a bit, I see fries already! So maybe "would you like to super size your meal" might make sense.

I'm pretty fine with large art/sculpture installations.  That one seems fine to me, but I don't have a degree in any field or art criticism, art history, or the like.  Maybe it should have been more nuanced or complicated to appeal to the true artsy folks? :dontknow:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

This piece of art stands at the corner of Custer and the George Bush tollway. I have named it “would you like fries with that?”  I think they are going to build the First Church of McDonald’s there.

31687444-6BA7-4038-995E-80EFCA3A605D.jpeg

I actually like above piece of permanent outdoor art sculpture. And remember there is some engineering in that, so it doesn't fall over in high winds.

This art work is near our  airport, actually on a protected bike lane. It caused huge local controversy in terms of money spent. So I prefer the above yellow..more thought and care in design.

A long view of the sidewalk to get to the blue ring

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I actually like this piece of permanent outdoor art sculpture. A remember there is some engineering in that, so it doesn't fall over in high winds.

This art work is near our  airport, actually on a protected bike lane. It caused huge local controversy in terms of money spent. So I prefer the above yellow..more thought and care in design.

A long view of the sidewalk to get to the blue ring

Great place to lock your bike though.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Below was $23 million less than 1 km. bike ped bridge.  Locals bitched on and on for months.  And NOW since 2012, it is our city's international brand to the world.  That is the symbol for our tourism brand.  Everyone brings their visitors for photos...EVERY DAY, every season.  Grad, prom, even wedding shots and whatever occasions. It becomes tricky to bike down the bridge with visitors and people just love to hang out along the bridge.

glowpeacebridge2.JPG

3 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Cycled down this highway. Glad we don't all like the same thing, if so life would be pretty boring.

https://www.ndtourism.com/regent/attractions/enchanted-highway

I enjoy a very broad range of art..representational ("realistic" as lay people call it) and abstract. Whenever I ride around or visit other places, yes I do enjoy/take photos of art.

We are in horsey province for Canada:

chuckwagonracing2014.jpg

and Canada's largest bison producer. As well having the wild bison roam in 2 national parks. Below I was on a bike ride with a group. This actually downtown, permanent art in front of major courthouse.

couthoursebuffaloherd.jpg

Canadian  poster art rodeo version, for Stampede that is over 100 yrs. old. There's a whole collection of annual posters near the LRT station in the area that's year round. 

A rare year when annual Calgary Stampede poster  featured a female horse rider. Most years predominantly male horse riders / cowboys. An occasional male-woman couple on horse graces some years. Permanent historic poster display by a transit station. Calgary AB.

Below Calgary, hybrid theme with aboriginal influence, ie. dream-catcher

aboriginal.jpg

Below in downtown VAncouver, near  Chinatown. Depicts the historic relationship in early years between First Nations/aboriginal and Chinese-Canadians in the area.

aboriginalasianeastvancouver.jpg

Below  Toronto:

cyclisthappy.jpg

signal-for-recognition.jpg?w=820&h=1024

Mural  below is actually in Calgary's Chinatown. It is permanent and done last yr. during #Black Like Me (or whatever the protests were. I get mixed up  because there was the anti-Asian racism protests going).

Just to help you with artistic interpretation, the clouds borrow from Asian mythologies where gods and goddesses are depicted floating in clouds/heavens. Of course the yak, is more Asian unless in some African countries  there are yaks / water buffaloes. The artist is standing at bottom, nearly done with this piece.

blm2020.jpg

• Awesome 1

We should celebrate permanent, designed art for our cities... I'm certain there is some permanent art in your area that reflects area's history, matters/culture and imagination. When I came to live in Calgary 11 yrs. ago, I found the city a little art sterile..dusty and flat, etc. It has changed because the municipality has made a very conscious plan to invest and  implant large scale permanent art for the public. It has scheduled programs for very large mural art (like Toronto and Vancouver also), streetscaping and parks resting areas.   After all, for a city of 1.3 million, it would be really dreary to have no art. Who wants to visit to look around then?

I like Nature too but humans create some great stuff...for others to ponder, celebrate.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I enjoy a very broad range of art..representational ("realistic" as lay people call it) and abstract. Whenever I ride around or visit other places, yes I do enjoy/take photos of art.

We are in horsey province for Canada:

chuckwagonracing2014.jpg

and Canada's largest bison producer. As well having the wild bison roam in 2 national parks. Below I was on a bike ride with a group. This actually downtown, permanent art in front of major courthouse.

couthoursebuffaloherd.jpg

Canadian  poster art rodeo version, for Stampede that is over 100 yrs. old. There's a whole collection of annual posters near the LRT station in the area that's year round. 

A rare year when annual Calgary Stampede poster  featured a female horse rider. Most years predominantly male horse riders / cowboys. An occasional male-woman couple on horse graces some years. Permanent historic poster display by a transit station. Calgary AB.

Below Calgary, hybrid theme with aboriginal influence, ie. dream-catcher

aboriginal.jpg

Below in downtown VAncouver, near  Chinatown. Depicts the historic relationship in early years between First Nations/aboriginal and Chinese-Canadians in the area.

aboriginalasianeastvancouver.jpg

Below  Toronto:

cyclisthappy.jpg

signal-for-recognition.jpg?w=820&h=1024

Mural  below is actually in Calgary's Chinatown. It is permanent and done last yr. during #Black Like Me (or whatever the protests were. I get mixed up  because there was the anti-Asian racism protests going).

Just to help you with artistic interpretation, the clouds borrow from Asian mythologies where gods and goddesses are depicted floating in clouds/heavens. Of course the yak, is more Asian unless in some African countries  there are yaks / water buffaloes. The artist is standing at bottom, nearly done with this piece.

blm2020.jpg

I've been to the stampede.  We watched the parade through the center of town back in the 50's.

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I've been to the stampede.  We watched the parade through the center of town back in the 50's.

Wow...it would have been quite different in spirit back then.  Probably more macho back then. I personally just haven't gone to see the stampede show. When the parade is on, I'm working inside building  where the parade  passes  by. Municipality gets into....headquarters municipal building is all decked out with cowboy cartoons, bales of hay in foyer and as employees, we are encouraged to go jeans, cowboy boots, for 10 days, etc.  When I biked to work along bike path, the parade floats and folks were  prepping by the bike route. And horses pooping near by.

I just go to the free pancake breakfasts all over town...a 10 day period. A place, if one wants to mingle and chat with some Calgarians...and other visitors.

I still haven't got my own cowboy hat.

I had a real interest in art when I was a kid. My high school had art classes. I signed up for them every year. They never left me take any of them. They said my schedule was too full. I said scratch out any other class, I don’t care, I want an art class. They said I needed those other classes for college. I guess I showed them, I didn’t go to college. 😜

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I had a real interest in art when I was a kid. My high school had art classes. I signed up for them every year. They never left me take any of them. They said my schedule was too full. I said scratch out any other class, I don’t care, I want an art class. They said I needed those other classes for college. I guess I showed them, I didn’t go to college. 😜

Starting gr.11 (which 3rd yr. after middle school), when I had less mandatory high school courses, I started stuff my program instead with alot of art courses. At least 6 half  credits which included: composition, drawing, painting, engraving/printmaking/silk-screening and art history. Then afterwards I looked at art history (primarily European) books to connect interrelations of artistic theory/thought cross-overs in literature and music over the centuries. So yes, when I'm in European  galleries, concerts..it does mean something. I find it really inspiring and dynamic...

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Below was $23 million less than 1 km. bike ped bridge.  Locals bitched on and on for months.  And NOW since 2012, it is our city's international brand to the world.  That is the symbol for our tourism brand.  Everyone brings their visitors for photos...EVERY DAY, every season.  Grad, prom, even wedding shots and whatever occasions. It becomes tricky to bike down the bridge with visitors and people just love to hang out along the bridge.

glowpeacebridge2.JPG

Well it's a bike path!  It deserves the money spent.  Duh.

• Haha 1