Dirty Harry

petitepedal

8 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I bought a .44 Magnum pistol because of the Dirty Harry movies. I think about a dozen of my buddies did also. Mine was a single action Hawes Western Marshall revolver. It had quite a kick. I sold it to a guy in 1977 when I left New Mexico. He still uses it occasionally.

Having had to shoot a .45 regularly I tired of large bored pistols. Desert Eagles were popular in the 80’s and a friend had one in .44.  I fired a few mags & that was enough for me.

My favorite is still my .22 Buckmark.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Having had to shoot a .45 regularly I tired of large bored pistols. Desert Eagles were popular in the 80’s and a friend had one in .44.  I fired a few mags & that was enough for me.

My favorite is still my .22 Buckmark.

I had a 41 mag Ruger Blackhawk. I doubt I fired more than a hundred rounds through it.

Took it to the range once and forgot my earmuffs. Said phukit I'm shooting, fired 5 shots and my ears rang for hours.

• Heart 1

I have hunted with a 44 mag lever action rifle since I was 15. I always wanted a 44 mag revolver to go with it. That way I only need to buy one type of ammo. I never wanted it bad enough to buy one instead of making a house payment or buying groceries so it didn’t happen. The year my father died I didn’t buy a hunting license. It wasn’t a decision that I was never going to hunt again but I just didn’t feel like going hunting without my dad. That year I won the top door prize at a work Christmas party. A gift certificate for a gun shop. I went in and walked around. They really didn’t have anything I could use. Some boots and hunting clothes and guns. I looked at their 44 mags. They sure looked sweet. I asked if they took trade ins and they did. I used my gift certificate and traded in a smith and Wesson 38 special for a Ruger Blackhawk Stainless steel 44 mag. The only thing I shot with it was a groundhog that kept raiding my garden. Overkill.

• Heart 4

10 minutes ago, Further said:

I had a 41 mag Ruger Blackhawk. I doubt I fired more than a hundred rounds through it.

Took it to the range once and forgot my earmuffs. Said phukit I'm shooting, fired 5 shots and my ears rang for hours.

Painfull ain’t it?  I had been in close proximity to two shootings, one indoors, and sum beotch it’s loud!  The outdoor shooting was so close to my head I got powder burns on my face!  

I hated the M60 ranges as we had to burn so many boxes of ammo, even with hearing protection after a while the percussion just made my head throb. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Painfull ain’t it?  I had been in close proximity to two shootings, one indoors, and sum beotch it’s loud!  The outdoor shooting was so close to my face I got powder burns on my face!  

I hated the M60 ranges as we had to burn so many boxes of ammo, even with hearing protection after a while the percussion just made my head throb. 

That "heavy thump" that writers talk about is fairly fukin far from reality, and the sound on TV is nowhere near right.

When I was much younger I thought I could handle a gun fight. I got my concealed carry permit. I spent a lot of time and money at the range.

One night fishing at a river than ran through a pretty wild town, I was thinking I was glad I had my pistol, and it hit me like a rock that getting in a gunfight for the chance to catch a fish was just fucked up. 

I thought about, a lot, for quite a long time, and decided that staying out of situations where I might need to shoot somebody was a better plan.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

In my hippy days my best friend had an apartment downtown upstairs over a head shop. Next to the shop was a bar and across the street was a bar two buildings up the street was another bar. The one two doors away was always having gunfights and making headlines for all kind of trouble. I ask my buddy if he felt safe living there. He said he did, all the trouble stays up on the corner, we only go in these bars down here. If you stand in the street you can see all three bars. I didn’t spend too much time at his apartment. His apartment would have been cool if it wasn’t for all the gunfire on the corner. The head shop was in the front of a closed up store, in the back of the store was where he kept his Harley. His apartment had a back door, you go out the back door and there was a back porch. You go off the back porch onto the roof. It reminded me of something from west side story.

• Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

His apartment would have been cool if it wasn’t for all the gunfire on the corner.

In the summer of 76, I lived in Milwaukee for summer school at college.  

My roommate and and I were both engineering students.  We had a third floor apartment on 24th St, just north of Wells.  It was hot so we had the windows open.  My roommate woke me up at 2AM.   "THEY ARE SHOOTING OUTSIDE!"   I told him to F off and let me sleep.  BAM BAM BAM...  crap... You aren't kidding!    For the next 2 hours... The cops had a shoot out with the guy in the apartment directly across the street.  :frantics:   The Milwaukee police eventually used teargas.   That stuff is NASTY.... 

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Kirby said:

I'm watching a Christmas movie on UpTV.  It's for people who can't handle the gritty reality of the Hallmark Channel.

There's another channel trying to out xmas the hallmark channel this year. God is that stuff awful.  Perfect escapism, but with absolutely no "heart", just formulaic rubbish :(

GAC Family (should be named gag your family):

If you’re a fan of holiday movies, you’re in luck because there are a lot of options on TV this fall and winter, including some familiar faces over on GAC Family (which launched on September 27).

You’ve likely seen Rukiya Bernard, Chad Michael Murray, Jessica Lowndes, Maggie Lawson, Cindy Busby, and Sam Page in other made-for-TV Christmas movies, and if you’re a fan, they’re starring in new ones as part of GAC Family’s “Great American Christmas.” It runs every Saturday until Thanksgiving weekend (during which there will be a new movie Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). Then, a new holiday-themed movie will air every Saturday and Sunday during December.