Fruitcakes

Wilbur

I made some fruitcake for family  25 yrs. ago with rum for aging....it included some gingeroot, pineapple,etc. in recipe. I was somewhat disappointed when a brother-in-law joked about it being a doorstop. 

On the other side, a niece recently mentioned her paternal 91 yr. old grandmother made enough fruitcake last yr....but she realized then, they were going to live in a few months in a retirement home. So she knew she would no longer get a gift of grandma's fruitcake. I think she and hubby eat it.  

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

Well I must be some kind of weirdo because I actually like fruit cake.

It depends on the recipe. I prefer a lighter fruitcake.  Germans make kristollen which is their version of Christmas cake which is not as dense as the British style fruitcake. It has marizpan inside and dried fruit. Light coloured crumb . Usually no liquor/nor rum. A gourmet German bakery in VAncovuer makes a pleasant one; the pastry chef is from the Black Forest region.

For all the criticisms nowadays, I think there will be a resurgence of fruitcake baking and aging, but done in more innnovative ways....a good thing.

• Heart 1

A great lady on my block from childhood died several years ago who made the ONLY fruitcake my sister and I liked.  At the funeral home viewing, her daughter had baskets with fruitcake slices and I later phoned her and got her mother's recipe at my sister's request.  Now my sister makes it each year.

• Heart 2