Being inconvenienced by the carelessness of others is a PITA.

Wilbur

I was parked at the airport last week and while gone, a road construction crew put up a bunch of road signs they didn't bother to sandbag in place.  Tomorrow I get to have estimates done by 3 body shops to repair the damage caused by the signs that blew over and hit my car.   Then I guess I will be arguing with airport management to get it fixed without it involving my insurance. I had nothing better to do with my day off anyways.  :angry:

• Sad 10

I had a sign blow down and smash my windshield one time. I went in the business who’s sign smashed my windshield and told them. They said that is not their problem, wind is an act of God. I called my insurance and they agreed with the business owner. I was mad but my insurance paid for the new windshield.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I had a sign blow down and smash my windshield one time. I went in the business who’s sign smashed my windshield and told them. They said that is not their problem, wind is an act of God. I called my insurance and they agreed with the business owner. I was mad but my insurance paid for the new windshield.

We need separation of church and excuses!

• Haha 3

This seems to be a common rule with unsurance companies.  I once had a shutter blow off a house and strike the neighbor's vehicle.  My insurance company refused responsibility saying it was his companies problem unless it could be demonstrated that I was negligent about the attachment of my shutter.  I paid for the repairs out of pocket.

To make a case of it you will probably have to sue someone for their carelessness.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I had a similar case but it was a township road sign so I knew it was hopeless because I had tried that before when a piece of rebar was sticking up from a parking stop and someone, I forget who, said I would have to prove they knew about it and did nothing. Government is very well protected apparently. 

29 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I hope the business didn't ask for their sign back after it hit your windshield.

It seems if they had asked for it back, an appropriate response would have been "Yeah, that will take an Act of God."

Their sign was a big lighted sign that also smashed when it hit my windshield.

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

this seems crazy

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Years ago I parked my '62 Chevy station wagon at the Amarillo TX airport. When I got back a couple of weeks later, the windshield and a couple of door windows were broken plus there was a strange hole in the roof. Seems that an Act of God tornado had picked up a small telephone poll and smashed it into the car. A couple of cow-orkers saw it on the news but neither they nor the parking lot people bothered to call me. Quite a surprise.

I lived about 100 miles from Amarillo over in New Mexico and it was winter so somewhat cold. I turned the heater all the way up and started to drive. At about 40 MPH, shards of broken glass started flying out of the defroster vents into my face. I stopped at a hardware store for some safety goggles that would fit over my glasses. It was quite a drive back.

The car only had liability insurance. I went to a junkyard and got a windshield and door glasses. For the roof I cut out a piece of sheet metal and put it in place with RTV glue and pop rivets then used a can of spray paint that somewhat matched. Glued up the headliner and a tear in the back seat. Still drove it for another year and sold the wagon for about what I paid for it. 

• Awesome 2

I have a 1/4" long scratch in my windshield right in front of my where my eyes look out.  I can probably buff it out. It occurred a week ago when a stone hit the glass while driving behind a big government truck with NO mud flaps.  Of course, I can't prove it came from the truck and not a vehicle in front of it.

There used to be laws about mud flaps on huge tires and tarps on top of big, open-bed trucks.  Why were they dropped?

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I have a 1/4" long scratch in my windshield right in front of my where my eyes look out.  I can probably buff it out. It occurred a week ago when a stone hit the glass while driving behind a big government truck with NO mud flaps.  Of course, I can't prove it came from the truck and not a vehicle in front of it.

There used to be laws about mud flaps on huge tires and tarps on top of big, open-bed trucks.  Why were they dropped?

They were dropped and replaced by signs that say, 'Stay Back  a Half Mile'. Cheaper that way.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I was parked at the airport last week and while gone, a road construction crew put up a bunch of road signs they didn't bother to sandbag in place.  Tomorrow I get to have estimates done by 3 body shops to repair the damage caused by the signs that blew over and hit my car.   Then I guess I will be arguing with airport management to get it fixed without it involving my insurance. I had nothing better to do with my day off anyways.  :angry:

Does your plane have hardpoints? 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I totally understand the act of God thing.  I mean, your insured against accidents.  So when some doofus on a cell phone can't control their car and drifts into yours, it's an accident.  But God, well, He's all omnipotent and merciful and all so when He throws a tree at your car it HAS to be on purpose.

• Heart 1