Road Runner
Go to solution Solved by Wilbur,

Riding is unaffected by even the worse weather

No heavy traffic concerns

No chance of being run over by an SUV

Bathroom issues and access to refreshments are no problem

Very few equipment maintenance issues

Prep time and putting everything away time is minimal

Time of day is unimportant.  Ride whenever it suits you best.

:)

• Heart 4

Just now, ChrisL said:

With the weather in SoCal indoor riding is a luxury but not a necessity.  But I don’t get the hate on indoor riding.  If it helps keep you active during the winter great, ride away.  

It isn't hate, it is reality!  For me, pretty much the whole point of riding is to actually BE OUTSIDE.  Like hiking.  I could get a helluva workout going up and down my steps, but that's not gonna happen unless I'm desperate for exercise.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It isn't hate, it is reality!  For me, pretty much the whole point of riding is to actually BE OUTSIDE.  Like hiking.  I could get a helluva workout going up and down my steps, but that's not gonna happen unless I'm desperate for exercise.

I know many find running to be evile but I loved running in the winter in VA/DC.  The crunch of the ice under foot, the cold crisp air. Ahh miss those days (OK not really but miss those winter runs).

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Seriously, as I advance in years and decline physically, the lure of indoor riding grows constantly greater.  :)

Some of the falls and crashes that I experienced in my early 60's could be vastly more devastating in my 70's.  :(

I like cycling but I hate being hit by cars.  I am thinking of selling my road bikes and sticking more to gravel rail trails. 

• Heart 1

I seem to remember a long time ago in a forum far, far away there was considerable debate about whether a cyclist could train indoors for a race up Mt. Washington, Mt. Rushmore, or Mt. Somewhere-or-Other and train well enough to beat the one hour mark for the race while finishing mid-pack in an age class with a ranking of 9 out of 12...

• Heart 2

14 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Seriously, as I advance in years and decline physically, the lure of indoor riding grows constantly greater.  :)

Some of the falls and crashes that I experienced in my early 60's could be vastly more devastating in my 70's.  :(

Pretty good reason and one that obviously gets weighed by every cyclist (or any sport, really) and even more so as time progresses.  At what point do you hang up the skates? Different for everyone, and certainly very important to think clearly about risk/reward of any endeavor, and likewise, finding viable alternatives.  

If nothing else, in 2021, Zwift and Peloton have pushed riding indoors into a much more appealing territory.  Add in cheaper entertainment options (big ass TVs are CHEAP and lightweight) and better tools (Peloton requires no effort to set up, and trainers by Wahoo or the like are miles ahead of older fluid or magnetic trainers), and creating & living in a pain cave is something many folks can live with vs outdoor riding (especially in snow or ice).

• Heart 1